Recipes > Game Meats

Elk Pasole

<< < (3/3)

smokeasaurus:
Hatch chilis have disappeared round here. Where did you get yours???

Gonna get on this recipe like ugly on an ape.

teesquare:

--- Quote from: smokeasaurus on March 14, 2018, 08:09:34 PM ---Hatch chilis have disappeared round here. Where did you get yours???

Gonna get on this recipe like ugly on an ape.

--- End quote ---

New Mexico.... ;) :D :D :D

No, seriously - I buy a LOT of the current year's crop of peppers when I go to N.M. for my hunt usually in Nov. But - they are all dried by then. But, usually in late Aug - to early Sept. The Fresh Market ( regional grocer here...) ships them in fresh, and sets up a roaster on the sidewalk. About 20 minutes from my house. ;). I buy about 10 pounds of them, have them put in trays approx. 1 pound per tray. The bag and vacuum pack them. Save them for a rainy day.

You may be able to find them canned or frozen near you....I know - not the same as fresh but - as an ingredient...it may not make a big difference.

We ate this pasole for dinner again tonight....I am just as happy with it - tho I think next batch I do, I will add a 3rd can of yellow hominy.

Ka Honu:

--- Quote from: teesquare on March 14, 2018, 11:29:21 AM ---SO...I thawed a 7 pound package of trimmings and cold smoked it for 6 hours. Then it was vacuum packed, and put in the fridge overnight.
--- End quote ---
tee- Please explain to the nice people why it was okay to have raw meat out that long at thawing and cold smoking temps.

--- Quote from: smokeasaurus on March 14, 2018, 08:09:34 PM ---Hatch chilis have disappeared round here. Where did you get yours???
--- End quote ---
smoke - You wait til August (September for red) and buy about 15 pounds fresh. Roast them, pack in smaller portions, freeze, and ration carefully for the next year.

ACW3:
Tee,
Save me a taste.  How did it compare to the posole we had in Raton?

Art

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version