Author Topic: Memphis Elite - An offer I couldn't refuse  (Read 1335 times)

Offline ronman451

• Albuquerque, New Mexico
Memphis Elite - An offer I couldn't refuse
« Reply #-1 on: April 29, 2018, 12:23:39 AM »
I am the proud owner of a new Memphis Elite. It was quite unexpected...

I finally decided to give pellet cooking a try, and I read/researched/youtubed many many models. I decided to stay away from both the low end and the high end of the market and settled on my price point based on some features that were important to me.

1. Size. I don't always do large cooks, but when I do, I know I'd regret getting too small of a cooker.
2. Direct flame searing / cooking. This feature was important to me.
3. Durability, reliability, reputation.
4. Price.

My favorite direct flame setup was Memphis with their Direct Flame Flavorizer Insert. The design seemed elegant and simple, with a groovy "genie" tool that makes the whole setup process a breeze. But alas, the Memphis was WAY out of my budget. So I moved on.

My next fave was the Yoder YS640 with their two-piece diffuser and Grill Grates setup. Not as elegant as the Memphis, but still a good option. I was a little nervous about Yoder's reputation for high pellet consumption, but that was not a deal-breaker for me. This was my number one choice so far. $1500 for the grill, another $400 or $500 for the accessories I wanted. That was at the top of my price range.

I strongly considered Mak and Rec Tec (Rec Tec being my fall-back budget "friendly" option), but I kept coming back to the Yoder. 

So this afternoon the wife and I stopped by the local Yoder dealer to have a good look at it, and to close the deal. Right next to the Yoder was a Memphis Elite, a $5000 grill. The salesperson saw me eyeing it and said do you like the Memphis? I said yeah, but that's way out of my budget. She said it was actually a return, that the guy bought it, used it once and returned it. The owner came out and said $2800 takes it out the door. Some quick math, I was about to drop $2K on the Yoder, and the Memphis came loaded, no accessories necessary.

We walked out without buying anything. I drove around, came home, talked to a couple of Memphis owners, and...

I just couldn't pass it up!
Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle

Offline rwalters

« on: April 29, 2018, 12:35:49 AM »
That’s awesome!  You are gonna be in pellet heaven!  What model year is that Elite? I notice that it has the older controller on it... which is not at all a bad thing... just curious.  Man, you scored on that thing!!!!!!

Can’t wait to see you cook on it :)

What have you been cooking on up to this point?
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline Hub

Re: Memphis Elite - An offer I couldn't refuse
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 06:30:05 AM »
Wow!  You got the bargain of the century  :o

My Memphis is eight years old and has kept on going strong.  No problems.  Built like a tank.  Extremely capable.  Flexible -- low and slow to searing hot.  Enjoy this excellent cooker!

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 08:27:14 AM »
Wow, you got yourself one heck of a deal on one heck of a pellet grill.  MAK and Memphis are at the top of the pellet mountain with everyone looking up at them.

I strongly feel that the MAK is the top dog but I betcha after we see your Memphis cooks I might be swayed to think differently.

Congratulations!!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 09:07:49 AM »
Fantastic deal!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline ronman451

• Albuquerque, New Mexico
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 10:45:28 AM »
That’s awesome!  You are gonna be in pellet heaven!  What model year is that Elite? I notice that it has the older controller on it... which is not at all a bad thing... just curious.  Man, you scored on that thing!!!!!!

My two main cookers have been the Pit Barrel Cooker and an old gas grill (Kenmore, I believe). I love the PBC and have spent years tuning in smoking techniques with various charcoals, wood chips/chunks and bits of aluminum foil here and there for temp control. The gas grill is the go-to for convenient grilling duties. I'm hoping the pellet cooker will be as convenient as firing up the  gasser to grill a couple of steaks or what-not, which is why the direct grilling feature was important to me. Time will tell!

The dealer did say this was a pre-wifi model, built in 2016 I believe. I'm cool with that.

I'm taking the Memphis out for a spin today!! Family is coming over for fajitas. I'll post a few pics and results...
Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle

Offline rwalters

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 10:49:22 AM »

My two main cookers have been the Pit Barrel Cooker and an old gas grill (Kenmore, I believe). I love the PBC and have spent years tuning in smoking techniques with various charcoals, wood chips/chunks and bits of aluminum foil here and there for temp control. The gas grill is the go-to for convenient grilling duties. I'm hoping the pellet cooker will be as convenient as firing up the  gasser to grill a couple of steaks or what-not, which is why the direct grilling feature was important to me. Time will tell!

The dealer did say this was a pre-wifi model, built in 2016 I believe. I'm cool with that.

I'm taking the Memphis out for a spin today!! Family is coming over for fajitas. I'll post a few pics and results...
Tuned in and ready to see you put this bad-boy to use later today :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 12:15:14 PM »
Fajitas?   Sweet.  Watching and waiting.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 04:50:07 PM »
With that kind of luck you need to consider investing heavily in lottery tickets.  Fantastic purchase!
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 05:04:19 PM »
With that kind of luck you need to consider investing heavily in lottery tickets.  Fantastic purchase!

Yeah . . . what he said ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Deebo

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 12:00:44 PM »
Congrats! This is awesome. I know my 2018 Memphis is ready before I am if I start it first then go in and prepare the meat to be cooked. It works great for quick Weeknight cooks. I don’t miss my gasser 1 bit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 04:46:48 PM »
Great deal from a guy that loves great deals
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal