Author Topic: Korean Kimchi  (Read 18434 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Korean Kimchi
« Reply #-1 on: February 08, 2013, 05:07:12 PM »
Pam wanted this recipe so thought I would post the last batch I made.

Kimchi or Kimchee is a Korean dish, fermented cabbage. The first time I tried it was from a small Korean restaurant and carry out called Sue’s. We usually got carry outs every week from there. My first bite of it I thought man this is too hot for me! I ended up eating all and it was the first really hot dish that I didn’t suffer from. I loved it.

Sue’s was run by a Korean lady and her two teen age daughters. It supported the family while the father went to ministry school. They lived just down the street from us. I really admired that family; with the daughters working they still managed to graduate high school with honors. They always knew it was the Ainsworth’s order when we ordered Kimchi; she said I was the only one that ordered it. They moved away after the Father finished ministry school and got a church. Before they left one day she showed up at my door with a quart of her Kimchi!

I finally found a recipe that was supposed to be authentic Korean. It is about as good and close to Sue’s Kimchi as I would get. It makes 3 quarts, just right for me. It is 5 to 6 lbs. of Napa cabbage, Korean chili flakes, kosher salt, sugar, grated carrot, minced garlic and thin sliced green onions. Small heads of cabbage I cut lengthwise in 4ths and large ones in 8ths then cut 1 inch wide. You salt it down heavily and let set for a half hour. Then you rinse well, mix in all the other ingredients, place it in a covered bowl and let set at room temperature for 48 hours.

To make Kimchi you need to use Korean red pepper flakes. I used to get it at a close by Asian grocery but they closed up. I finally found some on amazon.com that ships from Whole Spice Co. in CA. It was $23 for a pound that included shipping; I thought a little expensive but another place wanted $25 a pound before shipping. The Korean red peppers have a distinct taste unlike any others. Some of the flakes look almost crystallized. I took a pinch to taste; just a mild pepper taste at first but about a minute later the heat hits you!

After the 48 hours place in sterilized quart jars; top with water to cover if needed. Place the lids on and store in the refrigerator. I would say it should be good for at least two months. I had to use two large bowls when salting down; but after rinsing it had wilted down enough for all fit in one Tupperware bowl to set for 48 hours.

I have just eaten Kimchi as a side dish. It is used to flavor soups, stews, and fried rice but my wife does not like hot so never used it that way. I have had it on a pulled pork sandwich, delicious. My friend Sandman made some and his turned out too salty. Not sure but he cut his cabbage smaller than I do. I cut mine about 1X2 inches. He said he rinsed it well.

Ingredients

Cutting up the cabbage

Carrots, green onions and garlic

Korean chili flakes

All mixed up

After 2 days

Putting in jars

Finished and ready for the fridge

Recipe:

Napa Kimchee

This is my favorite Kimchee recipe. It is best to use authentic Korean red pepper flakes aka as Korean chili flakes.

You can vary the heat by the amount of red pepper flakes. I use a heaping ½ cup & that is hot enough for me.

Makes about 3 quarts.

5 to 6 lbs Napa cabbage

¾ cup pickling salt or kosher salt

8 scallions finely sliced

1 ½ cups shredded carrots

2 Tbs. finely chopped garlic

2 tsp. sugar

½ cup Korean red pepper flakes (chili flakes)

1 Tbs. salt ( I do not add this at the end, I think it is salty enough)

Remove limp outer leaves from the cabbage. Quarter the cabbage lengthwise, then cut across the quarters into 1 inch wide pieces. For large heads you may have to cut into 8ths. Put the cabbage in a very large bowl and add the salt. Toss so that the salt coats the cabbage evenly.  Allow to stand for 30 minutes. Toss the cabbage a couple of times during that time. You may need two bowls but it will wilt down and should fit in one large Tupperware bowl.  Rinse the cabbage w/cold water & drain. Toss w/the remaining ingredients & pack into a large crock or covered pottery casserole. Allow to sit on the counter for 1 to 2 days. I let mine set for the two days in the large Tupperware bowl with lid and then pack into quart mason jars. Add water to cover and store in the refrigerator, covered, in the crock or in individual glass jars. Serve as a relish w/any Korean dinners or use in cooking meat dishes soups, stews or fried rice.

Note: Original recipe called for 2 Tbs. grated fresh ginger and 2 Tbs. candied ginger but I don't use it in mine.

I find it best to do up in mason jars for the fridge since they are air tight and this does smell.  I also like to let it set in the fridge several days before using. The longer it sets the hotter it gets too.

NOTE:  This recipe can easily be adjusted for a 2 pound head of Napa cabbage.  Divide the remaining ingredients by one third.  This will yield a quart.

Safe storing Kimchi:
Storing Kimchi which is fermented cabbage. Fermented vegetables can be stored in the refrigerator for 4 to 9 months. The best method to tell if is good is your eyes and nose. If it looks good, no discoloring or mold and it smells good it probably is.

But Kimchi is another story, it already smells bad. Homemade Kimchi will keep also for 4 to 9 months in the fridge or 3 months in a cold place like a basement. It will continue to ferment slowly in the fridge and get sourer. I like to let it set at least a week in the fridge before using. If it has any mold or discoloring don’t use it. If it is a little fizzy, like carbonated, I would not use it.

It says the Koreans keep it for up to 3 years. I would probably eat it up to a year if all looked good. I always use this recipe and make 3 quarts. It hardly ever last me longer than two months.

Store bought is another story; I bought some once that was already to the fizzy stage and threw it out. If it has a “use by date” use that but I would go with 30 days. I hardly ever buy it since the homemade is so much better.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 01:09:30 AM by Smokin Don »
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Sam3

Re: Korean Kimchi
« on: February 08, 2013, 05:13:45 PM »
Thanks for posting Don! This looks really interesting.

I enjoy reading your blog too!  :)
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 05:17:50 PM »
Don,

Thank you. I lived in Hawaii many many years ago (early to mid- 70's.) I learned to enjoy so many different foods including kimchee. There was a Korean family living next door to me - the young daughter (probably 5 or 6) was a fireball - they called her Kim-Chee. It took awhile before I figured it out...  ::).

In the years since I have been back on the mainland, I have never found kimchee in the store to match what that family gave me. Your recipe sounds like it might do that and I look forward to trying it!

Again thank you,

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 07:13:00 PM »

Thanks!   Gonna try this for sure!

(in the smaller batch, and stored in our warehouse fridge)

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 07:25:54 PM »
Your Kimchi looks really Good Don!!
I downloaded this Book to learn how to make sauerkraut and kimchi. It is a very good and easy to read. I put ginger in my last batch and did not like that so well but was still good.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 07:38:42 PM by Keymaster »

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 08:04:22 PM »
Smokin Don..thank you so much..I have this saved with pics to a .doc file. It took 3 seconds to do this. Definately gonna try it. We have a pretty good Korean section in Lima. they even have a church out on Diller road.
Thanks again for the recipe. Hope everyone else enjoys it too. Someone put some on a pizza on diners, drive-ins, and dives. I have done sauerkratu on pizza, I love it. So I need to try both..thanks.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 10:16:56 PM »
I love not only the recipe you shared (which I plan to try), but the back story is great, Don!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Kora Smoker

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 06:31:29 PM »
I love kimchi and visit our local Korean BBQ joint quite frequently. Thanks for the recipe.
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26 kettle
Rec Tec 680
Gabby's Grill Santa Maria add on for weber kettle 26 inch
Gateway Drum Smoker

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 02:10:21 AM »
Your Kimchi looks really Good Don!!
I downloaded this Book to learn how to make sauerkraut and kimchi. It is a very good and easy to read. I put ginger in my last batch and did not like that so well but was still good.
Thanks for the book link. This recipe had ginger too but I don't care for it either so left it out. A lot of recipes have fish sauce in it too. This recipe tasted close to Sue's so I leave it as is. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline deb415611

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 08:08:08 AM »
thanks Don

I think i'm going to try making a small batch

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 10:30:44 AM »
I bookmarked this. Thanks Don ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline SiFumar

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 02:25:29 AM »
Love Kimchi!  Thanks for recipe!  We lived in Korea for a year.  The place where we lived had a court yard in the center.  The fall we were there a dump truck came and dumped a load of cabbage in the yard,  All the women that lived there came out and got to cleaning it and cutting it up and packing it in hugh crocks.  I never got the ingredients...but looked similar to what you posted.  Then they buried the crocks in the yard.  They called it winter kimchi.  All winter long someone would dig up a crock and pass it out to all living there.  That was the best kimchi I ever ate!  Sorry for the story but your kimchi brought back some great memories! Thank you!
Pit Barrel Cooker
Bradley Original
Bradley Counter Top
SRG
Char Broil Grill

Offline Tinnmel

• Portsmouth, VA
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 04:33:08 AM »
That was a cool story.  I'm glad you posted it.  Musta been nice seeing everyone work together.

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 05:55:19 AM »
Looks good.

I tried kimchi 1 time years ago. Homemade is better.
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 02:05:13 PM »
Hey Don...I made your Kim-Chee today..it's wonderful. I only made a small batch tho..about 2 lbs napa cabbage. I like it already but have to wait 2 days.  I divided everything by 1/3..makes a quart.

Kim Chee
2 lb Napa cabbage
1/ 3 cup pickling salt or kosher salt
2-3 scallions finely sliced
½ cups shredded carrots
2 cloves finely chopped garlic
little under 1 tsp. sugar
3 tbs Korean red pepper flakes (chili flakes)
1 Tsp. salt
Remove limp outer leaves from the cabbage. Quarter the cabbage lengthwise, then cut across the quarters into 1 inch wide pieces. For large heads you may have to cut into 8ths. Put the cabbage in a very large bowl and add the salt. Toss so that the salt coats the cabbage evenly.  Allow to stand for 30 minutes. Toss the cabbage a couple of times during that time. You may need two bowls but it will wilt down and should fit in one large Tupperware bowl.  Rinse the cabbage w/cold water & drain. Toss w/the remaining ingredients & pack into a large crock or covered pottery casserole. Allow to sit on the counter for 1 to 2 days. I let mine set for the two days in the large Tupperware bowl with lid and then pack into quart mason jars. Add water to cover and store in the refrigerator, covered, in the crock or in individual glass jars. Serve as a relish w/any Korean dinners or use in cooking meat dishes soups, stews or fried rice.
I find it best to do up in mason jars for the fridge since they are air tight and this does smell.  This will yield a quart.

Thanks again.  Pam.☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 02:07:02 PM by Pam Gould »
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw