Author Topic: Korean Kimchi  (Read 18432 times)

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
Re: Korean Kimchi
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 02:09:08 PM »

I gotta try this..........

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 02:12:45 PM »

I gotta try this..........
Squirt..it is so easy..gotta get the Korean chili tho..I ordered mine online. Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 02:15:44 PM »
I can probably find a Korean market or 2 in St Louis next trip down...    I'll make a note of that.    Thanks!

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 04:02:01 PM »
I missed seeing you made some Pam, glad you liked it. I shoule re-emphsize to use course kosher salt, I use Mortons. Any other salt may require different amounts. A cup of regular table salt is double the salt in a cup of coarse salt. I am getting hungry for another batch soon! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Pam Gould

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 04:07:06 PM »
I missed seeing you made some Pam, glad you liked it. I shoule re-emphsize to use course kosher salt, I use Mortons. Any other salt may require different amounts. A cup of regular table salt is double the salt in a cup of coarse salt. I am getting hungry for another batch soon! Don
Don..I did use course Kosher salt. I know about the differences in weight of salts. Thanks again for recipe.  Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

gfgraphics

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2013, 05:06:51 PM »
Just a story...

When I was younger, I rented out a room in my house to a Korean couple, that was my introduction to kimchi.

A few years later, I went to school. I had a classmate who was Korean and commented to him how much I loved it. A couple of weeks later, he brought a jar to school for me with some of his wife's kimchi in it. They were a poor couple but to honor me, she had used some of their meager income to buy fresh shrimp and include that in the mix. He and I both warned my classmates to not open the jar. On a break, one of the clowns who always had to know everything, got the jar while I was distracted it and opened it there in the room. Class was moved to another location to give the room a chance to air out.

I went outside and sat on the curb at lunchtime and enjoyed one of the finest meals of my life.

Thanks for bringing back a memory.

Offline RickB

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 05:26:59 PM »
Looks good.

I tried kimchi 1 time years ago. Homemade is better.

Rick your avatars are getting too funny! Is this one after your latest sausage fest? ;)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 05:29:43 PM by RickB »

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2013, 07:57:03 AM »
I recall Kim Chee being made... it usually went into stone crocks and got buried in the yard for a few months.
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2013, 10:55:49 AM »
I am going to have to give yours a try Don. My lost recipe contained Daikon radish in it. Must have been a regional thing
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2013, 11:43:20 AM »
10.5 - When I use it I just add the diakon (cut to matchstick size) in with everything else after salting the cabbage (although I don't use carrots).
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2013, 02:08:30 PM »
For tenpoint and Ka Honu, here is a recipe for daikon Kimchee I want to try and you might like it. I love radishes but the red and white do not agree with me. I can eat daikon radishes. This recipe is from the same source as my Napa cabbage kimchee so should be good. Don

Shredded daikon kimchee

3 pounds daikon radish, peeled and julienned into thin strips
1 Tbs Korean pickling salt or kosher salt
3 tablespoons Korean red pepper flakes
½ cup garlic or regular chives, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon light soy sauce (not lite)
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon sugar

Toss the julienned daikon with the pickling salt, and let set for 5 minutes. Drain well and squeeze out excess water. Toss with the remaining ingredients. Put into mason jars and put the lids on; not too tight so gas can escape. It didn’t say so but I would think you should cover with water. Leave them on the counter overnight then tighten the lids and refrigerate.
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2013, 04:48:02 PM »
Thanks Don I may try to merge the two together. My lost recipe had cabbage and radish together
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2013, 05:44:21 PM »
I make several different kinds of kim chi, mostly won bok (Napa cabbage) or cucumber but occasionally daikon.  Now and then I just add some daikon along with the green onions in the won bok version and it comes out fine.  Also soaks up some of the salt if you forget to rinse the won bok.

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2014, 05:07:14 PM »
Yeah, I know it's an old post but was making a couple of batches of kim chi this morning (one cucumber and one cabbage) and thought of something that might help to those of you who can't always (or ever) find won bok (Napa cabbage).  Use head cabbage (the kind you expect with corned beef and cabbage) instead.  It retains its crispness much better than won bok for a great texture. Most of the folks that have it when I make a batch actually prefer it to the "traditional."

Speaking of "traditional," try using grated apple or Korean pear instead of sugar. Old-time Koreans didn't have processed sugar so they usually used pears or apples to provide the sugar for fermentation. It's tasty and probably (dare I say it?) healthier.

Offline Pam Gould

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2014, 05:11:10 PM »
Yeah, I know it's an old post but was making a couple of batches of kim chi this morning (one cucumber and one cabbage) and thought of something that might help to those of you who can't always (or ever) find won bok (Napa cabbage).  Use head cabbage (the kind you expect with corned beef and cabbage) instead.  It retains its crispness much better than won bok for a great texture. Most of the folks that have it when I make a batch actually prefer it to the "traditional."

Speaking of "traditional," try using grated apple or Korean pear instead of sugar. Old-time Koreans didn't have processed sugar so they usually used pears or apples to provide the sugar for fermentation. It's tasty and probably (dare I say it?) healthier.

Recipe please..Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi