Author Topic: Any cooking in extreme weather condition stories? (hot stove time for us in NE)  (Read 5396 times)

Offline Tailgating is my game

Any cooking in extreme weather condition stories? (hot stove time for us in NE)
« Reply #-1 on: February 09, 2013, 11:18:28 AM »
As I am sitting here snowed in with over two feet of snow & temps heading down to near Zero  I thought I would ask everyone if they had any stories of cooking in extreme weather conditions (Blizzards, Rain or thunderstorms etc.  Funny ones are best ;D

I guess I cook inside during most bad weather so I don’t have any real good stories.

I have cooked in some cold weather with snow a few times years ago tailgating at Shea stadium on my hibachi grill. That was a plus because it kept us warm.

The other time was in Block Island Harbor on my boat about twenty years ago swinging from the anchor. It was a very very windy night in the open harbor & I had my Magma gas grill going. Flames were going a few feet in the air with all the wind…..but it had to be the best steak I ever had it was like cooking with a blow torch. Sitting on my deck with a few cold ones and that steak I was in hog beef heaven.

With this crew there must be a few good ones ;)
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline sparky

• northern california
i was in the coast guard from 74'-78 1/2'.  my 1st tour was on the uscg whec 725 jarvis.  we were station in sand island, hawaii.  we would go up the the aleutian chain and patrol for japenese and russian fishing vessels w/ 4 month patrol (it sucked).  we would board them and check for violations (i was a bosn'mate, small boat driver).  everytime we would find a violate we would escot w/ armed guards the vessel back to kodiak.  everytime we brought a vessel it was a 3 day liberty.  well...... a group of us wanted more then 3 days off.  so, we checked out m-16's, 45's and the raided the galley.  10 of us took off into the wilderness w/ sleeping bags, food, pots and pans (no one brought plates.  can ya imagine 10 guys eating out of 1 pot) and weapons.  we made a igloo out of snow blocks and made a fire inside of it.  everyone i was w/ had a skill.  me, fishing threw the ice.  others were hunters.  lol, hunting w/ m-16's and 45's.  well, they were pretty good.  we ate rabbit, deer, fish for over a week and a 1/2.  best of times living in harsh area.  it was f#%&king cold.  we made a fire pit outside and cook the food w/ hanging the meat over the fire w/ sticks.  we even made a rotisserie when we got the deer.  it was fun.  after we were done we got a helio ride back to our underway ship.  we all got captians mast for awol.  it was a little funny though.  our punishment was 2 weeks confined to the ship.  lol.  everyone else was confined also.  we were underway for 2 more months.  lol.  i still laugh about that.  it was the most fun i have every had freezing my butt off.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL

Nowhere near 'feet' of snow, but it was blowing and d@mn cold..

(20 pounds of frozen turkey boulders, doused in Carolina Treet cooking sauce)

Offline deb415611

I'm about to go start my MAK now .  Driveway still undone (we have someone plow) but the deck and dog path are finished, priorities :D

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
About 4 years ago we had a nasty heat spell here in the valley and the temp on my back patio was 112. I had the flu and a fever and was doing a brisket cook in my off-set. Being the nim-rod that i am, I stayed outside by the off-set to tend the fire and was slamming down brewskies and I passed out in my patio chair and my gal found me out cold and the fire was out in the off-set!

I got dragged into bed and was not allowed to Que until I got better (the next weekend)  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline deb415611

couple years ago, don't remember the actual outside temp but cooked something in the traeger that day

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL

I've seen Deb's pictures today.   She's going to win this thread....    ;D :o

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
TG looks like you still have power; hope all in the NE get through this OK. Great stories so far! I don't have any real extreme weather cooking stories; but yesterday at about 30 deg. and a cold damp wind is extreme enough for me! ::)
Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
Well this was a cook in extreme conditions!
At L.A. Hunting camp we had a rain of 6 in. In 6 hours & had food on the smoker ( about 30 yards from the cabin.)
Since no one was hunting we had a few too many adult beverages!!
The butts were perfect! , the hog ribs & a few parts were overcooked, but most was OK.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline deb415611

Luckily as of about 9am only 37,000 people in CT were without power, considering the wind we had last night it's amazing. 

Offline GrillGeek

• www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com
Um...it rained here in so cal one time and it dipped down into the upper 40's. Thank Goodness for remote thermometers.
Owner of Simi Pellet Grills- The Pellet Grill Outfitters
www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com

805-285-2618

Offline deb415611

lol, i'm not sure i'm a good judge of what you should be doing...  3 weeks ago my husband told me I was freaking nuts (actually he used a different word( when I told him I was going kayaking in long island sound  (he's probably right)

i'm on the right

bummer - MAK just flamed out

Luckily as of about 9am only 37,000 people in CT were without power, considering the wind we had last night it's amazing.

Only 160 or so lost power in our town (easy for me to say because I was not one of them) With this wind we still could. Just put the tape out 28 to 32 inches (lots of drifts) but that was after I removed around 4 inches last night. I don't think I will be showing a movie outside tonight ;D Or will I get my seven inch TV/DVD player out with a fire pit & irish coffee ???
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

lol, i'm not sure i'm a good judge of what you should be doing...  3 weeks ago my husband told me I was freaking nuts (actually he used a different word( when I told him I was going kayaking in long island sound  (he's probably right)

i'm on the right

bummer - MAK just flamed out

I have some great boating cold weather trips but I have been swimming in LI sound near the end of nov. one year...water was warm. Also took out my 17 footer for a last run in mide Dec one year & got sick for about six weeks. It was cold but i did  not want to see the year end :'(

Great pictures had to be fun!
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline deb415611

Great pictures had to be fun!

it was beautiful,  a few friends & I are on a 12 month challenge,  I have 10 consecutive months in, february is going to be the toughest to get in