Author Topic: The Butt FatCap?  (Read 2431 times)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
The Butt FatCap?
« Reply #-1 on: April 20, 2013, 10:20:53 AM »
For years I have smoked butts with the fat cap up and with the fat cap down and it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference.  I'm now wondering if we even need the fat cap.

Here's my thoughts:
Some say putting the cap on top lets the juices melt and drip down into the meat.  Are the juices really going into the meat or just running down the sides and dripping on down to the bottom of the smoker?
If you put the cap down, does it make it easier for the butt to come loose from the rack when it's cooked?
CB has made the point a number of times that fat on the outside of meat is bad and fat inside the meat is good; therefore, if the fat cap is on the outside why do we need it anyway?  Why not just cut it all off?

Just wonderin'.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
Re: The Butt FatCap?
« on: April 20, 2013, 10:39:33 AM »
Good topic, will be following this one closely
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 10:44:56 AM »
I have been trimming the fat cap off and have had just as good results. I get more coverage for rub and there is plenty of fat in the butt so there is no worry of it drying out........I do the same now with briskets...........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 11:28:17 AM »
I do leave the fat cap on. I leave it down placed down on the grill. IMHO it acts as a insulator from the direct heat below. Also I get most of the fat stuck to the grill/frog mat and not the meat when removing the butt.

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Rummm

• If you're lookin you ain't cookin!
    • Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 11:44:52 AM »
I do leave the fat cap on. I leave it down placed down on the grill. IMHO it acts as a insulator from the direct heat below. Also I get most of the fat stuck to the grill/frog mat and not the meat when removing the butt.

Ditto.....took the words right out of my mouth  ;)
"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon.''

http://www.ask-a-butcher.com

Offline Hub

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 11:52:32 AM »
My opinion:  For a butt, it just doesn't matter.  It is the internal fat breaking down that contributes much to the moisture and flavor.  Leaving it on, either up or down-facing, does no harm, though.  However, I've become a fan of fat side down on BRISKET, where it acts as a bit of a barrier to keep injections and natural moisture in.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Tinnmel

• Portsmouth, VA
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 01:29:37 PM »
Wow, I can't believe this is posted today.  I smoked a butt this morning.  I was about to score the fat cap when I thought "Why, I just want to get rid of that fat anyway", so I trimmed it off.  Butt's in FTC right now.  I'll let you know how it turns out.  First time I've trimmed it off.  I think it'll be better getting rub to that side of the meat.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 01:44:40 PM »
Wow, I can't believe this is posted today.  I smoked a butt this morning.  I was about to score the fat cap when I thought "Why, I just want to get rid of that fat anyway", so I trimmed it off.  Butt's in FTC right now.  I'll let you know how it turns out.  First time I've trimmed it off.  I think it'll be better getting rub to that side of the meat.

That's exactly how and why I do mine that way.....keep us posted with your results.....
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Jables

The Butt FatCap?
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 03:14:08 PM »
Better smoke penetration without the cap.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 03:53:17 PM »
Honestly, for pulled pork, not only do I cut most of the fat cap off to create more bark, but I also cut most butts in half to create even more surface area for even more bark. More bark = more flavor.  :P :P :P

There's still more than enough fat to keep the meat moist (cutting in half cuts down on cook time a little too). 8)

P.S. I don't throw the fat cap away either. I freeze & save it for when I need more fat for sausage.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 03:57:53 PM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline flbentrider

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 04:22:14 PM »
IMHO:
Fat doesn't "break down".

It melts, and runs off meat. If you soak the meat in it, you don't get "more moist", you get greasy meat.

Connective tissue breaks down into collagen and water. It's the collagen that makes pulled pork so delicious.

I trim the cap a little and put it down. I'm in the "heat shield" camp.

I started to trim one once, and it was being stubborn. So I left it.

Offline RickB

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 05:02:27 PM »
I leave the cap on and cook it fat down. Rather lose fat than meat taking it off the frog mats.

Offline Tinnmel

• Portsmouth, VA
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 07:23:57 PM »
I can't say that I noticed a great difference cutting the fat cap off.  I thought the butt was excellent but my wife thought it wasn't as good as my last one.  Plus I changed too much.  I used a different rub, different pellets, and cut the fat cap off.  In either case, I will cut it off in my future cooks.  I didn't have as much fat dripping into my cooker, I didn't have as much fat to pick out of my pork, and my pork was just as moist as ever.  So those are pluses with no negatives.  Nothing stuck to my off brand frog mats.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 07:25:54 PM »
Have you tried Tim's Fine Swine and Bovine rub on a pork butt? I can't even think of doing a butt without it :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Tinnmel

• Portsmouth, VA
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 07:30:32 PM »
Have you tried Tim's Fine Swine and Bovine rub on a pork butt? I can't even think of doing a butt without it :)

No, I should, but I haven't gotten into the online rubs.  Everything I use is stuff that I can find on a shelf somewhere.