Author Topic: Steam Eggs do not Boil  (Read 1204 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Steam Eggs do not Boil
« Reply #-1 on: May 25, 2013, 08:34:44 AM »
I am proof that you are never too old to learn, at 71. All these years I have boiled eggs for hard boiled eggs. I tried different times and with equal results. Sometimes they pealed easily and sometimes not, about 50-50. Thanks to several members here for the idea to steam instead of boil them. It works like a champ. I have done them in my rice cooker and steamer four times now. I can do a dozen at once. I don't think it makes any difference how you cool them. I have cooled them under cold water then peeled let them set awhile then in the fridge for awhile and the last ones I did I let them in the fridge overnight. They all pealed perfectly! Just steam them for 18 minutes and you too will have easy peal eggs! Thanks guys for the idea. Smokin Don
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 12:48:29 AM by Smokin Don »
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline TwoPockets

Re: Steam Eggs dn not Boil
« on: May 25, 2013, 10:31:32 AM »
I am going to have to try that. I boiled some eggs the other day and didn't think I would ever get those suckers peeled.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 11:20:39 AM »
Yes the steaming works great for eggs. Also the mistake that people make with hard boiled eggs is that they actually boil them. The trick is to put the eggs in with the water and then heat. That way they come up to temp with the water slowly. The when the water starts to boil the go into cool water. When the water boils the eggs are up to that temp already. There are detailed explanations on the Internet.

But the steaming method does work the best IMHO.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 11:48:44 PM »
One question and some tips.
How do you steam without a steamer?

Here is a tip I use and also some recommended YouTube videos. Warning on the videos: you can spend a lot of time looking at all the unique things folks do.
   I take a map tack or thumb tack and put a small hole in the large end of the egg before I put it in cold water to boil.  I think this has something to do with air loosening the shell or creating a space in there.

YouTube videos:  "How to peel a hard boiled egg without peeling---3 seconds no hand version";  "How to peel an egg Russian Way", "How to make easy-peeling hard boiled egg"; and "How to do everyday things faster (egg is  at 4:10)".

Dee
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 11:53:57 PM by deestafford »
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 12:27:48 AM »
Thank you
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline flbentrider

Re: Steam Eggs do not Boil
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 08:56:01 PM »
I thought the peel-ability had to do with the age of the eggs. older eggs are easier to peel than fresher ones.