Author Topic: Lacto fermented dill pickles  (Read 2009 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Lacto fermented dill pickles
« Reply #-1 on: July 22, 2013, 02:31:51 PM »
July 22, 2013

I am doing some fermented dill pickles for the first time. I have done sauerkraut and Kimchi before and wanted to try some dill pickles. I read through a lot of recipes and used one from Melanie at pickle me too.com. Her recipe looked good; all except for putting the lids on tight during the 3 to 5 day fermentation. If she does she is lucky she never had any explode; you need to let the gases escape. I covered the jars with cheese cloth and used the canning rings to secure and will keep it wet.

I liked her bit about using grape leaves or oak leaves that contain tannin and it keeps the pickles crisp. I read if you couldn’t get the grape or oak leaves to use about a teaspoon of black tea. That is what I used.
I had some dill out to use and used 3 heads in each batch.

I had a pickle plant in my garden; that were supposed to be for pickles but the pickles got fat; almost like a gourd. I sliced up one for on a salad and it tasted good. I had enough to do a half-gallon and found some local grown pickles to do another half-gallon.

For each half gallon I used about a Tbs. of pickling spices, about 1 Tb. dried garlic flakes, a tsp. of what I thought were mustard seeds. Oh well; they would work being a little lemony and my pickling spice had mustard seeds in it. I also used 3 fresh dill heads.

The two quarts of brine were enough to cover the pickles in both jars. I added two dried red chilies in the jar of local grown pickles I bought for a little heat. In about a week I should know if I have some good dill pickles or not.

Melanie has a lot of good recipes here http://www.picklemetoo.com/

My pickles

The recipe:

Lacto fermented dill pickles: adapted from pickle me too.com

Ingredients
   5 tablespoons sea salt
   2 quarts of chlorine-free water
   4 to 6 grape, oak, horseradish leaves, or 1 tsp. black tea
   6 to 9 cloves of peeled garlic, or 1 Tbs. dried garlic flakes
   2 large heads of dill
   Spices to taste: black peppercorns, red pepper flakes, mustard seeds, etc. (Secret ingredient: for an extra bite, add a few strips of fresh horseradish to the spice mix!)
   Enough pickling cucumbers to fill a half-gallon jar
Directions
1.   Make a brine with 2 quarts of chlorine-free water and 5 tablespoons sea salt. Mix well, cover, and allow to cool to room temperature. This brine can be kept for days before using.
2.   In a 1/2-gallon jar add a couple of the tannin-containing leaves, a few cloves of garlic, the heads of dill, and 1/3 of the spices you plan to use.
3.   Pack half of your cucumbers tightly on top of these spices. (The longest ones work best at the bottom.) Repeat a layer of leaves, garlic, and spices. Add another tightly packed layer of cucumbers and top them off with more garlic and spices.
4.   Pour the brine over the pickles, leaving 1 to 2 inches of headspace. Place another tannin-containing leaf on top of the pickles as a cover between the pickles and the surface of the brine.
5.   Loosely cap the jar, or use some cheese cloth secured with a ball ring, and place in a safe place at room temperature for 3 to 5 days. Alternatively, place in a root cellar or cool basement for up to two weeks.
6.   You will know your pickles have fermented when the brine is cloudy, the brine is bubbling, and the pickles have a bubbly sourness to them. The warmer the fermenting temperature, the shorter the fermentation time, though a cooler fermentation temperature is desirable (less than 80°F).
7.   Eat right away, or store in a refrigerator or root cellar for months and enjoy them all winter long.

Makes one 1/2-gallon jar of pickles.

Smokin Don
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 01:32:36 AM by Smokin Don »
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: Lacto fermented dill pickles
« on: July 22, 2013, 04:06:48 PM »
Don..how cold is cold in a basement..mine stays a constant 65º. Is that cool enough. Thanks Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 04:14:32 PM »
Don..how cold is cold in a basement..mine stays a constant 65º. Is that cool enough. Thanks Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ
I would say that is fine Pam. Mine are going to have to go at 70 to 75 deg. on my countertop. I don't have a basement. Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 04:19:15 PM »
WOWSERS

This is cool.

The lactic acid in the liquid is good for fermented dry cured sausage too.
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 04:40:27 PM »
Hi Don..got another questions for ya..I grow my own horseradish..are those the leaves that I want to use? thanks again. Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline RickB

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 05:36:32 PM »
July 22, 2013

I had a pickle plant in my garden

Smokin Don

Don far be it from me to be the bearer of bad tidings, but if I didn't know better I think they ripped you off on that pickle plant. Seems to me they sold a cucumber plant. One thing I know for certain is that if you would have got a real pickle plant you wouldn't have had to go to all that trouble!  :D :D :D

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 12:39:36 AM »
Hi Don..got another questions for ya..I grow my own horseradish..are those the leaves that I want to use? thanks again. Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ
I would say so Pam, and I am no expert on this! It is my first try at them. Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 12:50:25 AM »
Don far be it from me to be the bearer of bad tidings, but if I didn't know better I think they ripped you off on that pickle plant. Seems to me they sold a cucumber plant. One thing I know for certain is that if you would have got a real pickle plant you wouldn't have had to go to all that trouble!  :D :D :D
For Rick and all, copied from Wiki "There are three main varieties of cucumber: "slicing", "pickling", and "burpless"." A pickle is a cucumber that has been pickled!  ;D
My Mom laughed when I told her I was too slow to be a pickle farmer since they were getting fat and turning yellow before I could get them picked!  ::) Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 08:37:19 AM »
July 22, 2013

I am doing some fermented dill pickles for the first time. I have done sauerkraut and Kimchi before and wanted to try some dill pickles. I read through a lot of recipes and used one from Melanie at pickle me too.com. Her recipe looked good; all except for putting the lids on tight during the 3 to 5 day fermentation. If she does she is lucky she never had any explode; you need to let the gases escape. I covered the jars with cheese cloth and used the canning rings to secure and will keep it wet.
/quote

Don,

Do you mean you keep the cheesecloth wet during the fermentation process (3 - 5 days?)

Thanks,

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 08:57:49 AM »
Pam if you meant is your basement cool enough to store the pickles I would say no, I would refrigerate to store after fermenting.

David I just re-wet it when I open to check for scum on top every day.

Don
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 10:48:05 PM by Smokin Don »
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 09:19:48 AM »
Don - Thanks!

David
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 10:50:28 PM »
Here is one of my cucumbers that doesn't know it's suppose to be a pickle!  ;D Don

Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 12:38:56 AM »
Reminds me of Marcel the Shell...  ;D
Member #

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 12:29:10 AM »
My pickles are done and taste great. They were done after the 5 days. The brine is so cloudy I didn't take a pic of them in the jar. They are good since I have been eating them and haven't got sick! I liked the ones I put in the dried red peppers. Here is a pic of a slice I had on a cold meatloaf sandwich tonight for supper. Don

Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 03:48:28 PM »
Nice looking piggle!
Member #