Author Topic: Considering a Cooking Class?  (Read 1729 times)

Offline Hub

Considering a Cooking Class?
« Reply #-1 on: October 22, 2013, 03:19:29 PM »
SHOULD YOU TAKE A BARBEQUE COOKING CLASS?

(I’ve gotten an earful from several people lately about cooking classes and how they didn’t like them.  This short note is for anyone who is pondering taking one.)

All you have to do is scan the ads in any barbeque publication or pay any attention to all to the banner ads that appear on most of the barbeque forum sites to know that there are lots of classes available.  These are taught by proven champion cooks, usually at multiple locations and at various times of the year so as to be as convenient as possible and attract as many students as possible.

I like the concept.  I like the fact that champion cooks can offset some of their considerable contest expenses by offering classes.  I like the fact that (for a price) I can learn from almost all of them who are active on the circuit.  And, I like the fact that overall competition will benefit from shared knowledge.  The cooks, the students and the general level and quality of competition will ultimately benefit.

One problem:  I’ve heard quite a few complaints from people who have attended the classes.  Generally, the complaints boil down to “not learning what I wanted to know”.  I don’t blame the cooks who offer the classes for this complaint.  I blame the students who didn’t bother to take time to figure out what they wanted to know and then go to the best class to learn what would improve them the most.  Just because the instructor is a big name in BBQ doesn’t mean you’ll get what you’re after.

Three facts you need to be aware of before you sign up:

• The classes vary considerably in what they teach and how they teach it

• No class will make you the Grand Champion of your next contest

• No class can substitute for experience and judgment

Some of the classes are designed to teach what I’d call “universal basics” – plenty of them.  Others are designed to hone skills you already have.  Some are competition-focused, others more general.  Some are very hands-on and participative while others are more lecture and demonstrations.

Finally, no champion cook is going to provide you with his or her exact recipes and methods (although many will come pretty close). 

You don’t have to take a class to be a great barbeque cook, but it can get you moving in the right direction faster if you care to.  To get the best information, visit the cook’s or team’s websites and page through the information about their class offerings.  Fact:  Most will send you a personal e-mail reply if you have questions about any of their offerings.

Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Considering a Cooking Class?
« on: October 22, 2013, 03:23:09 PM »
Good advice - especially re: understanding what you are looking for and making sure the class meets your expectations BEFORE signing up.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 03:28:35 PM »
Agreed on knowing what you are trying to learn.  Are you trying to figure out flavor profiles, comp timing, temp management on a COS, meat understanding, etc?
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 05:12:03 PM »
"I want... I want... I want everything I've ever seen in the movies!"

With thanks to Leo Blum (Gene Wilder) in The Producers (1967 version)
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 07:26:12 PM »
I don't know what I want and I'll complain when I don't get it.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 08:00:11 PM »
Great write up Hub! Last year I went to a cooking class that was put on by 3 excellent winning competitors
from the Florida BBQ Association. I didn't go to learn competition cooking but to gain the knowledge
on how to select meats, cooking temps, etc. To me you get what you put into the class too. If you just
sit and hope to get info without asking questions that is on you and you shouldn't be complaining. I know
I am really happy with what I picked up and my BBQ has improved immensely since taking this class.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 08:34:25 PM »
Hub another fantastic write up! Some great advice.

A cooking class would be great but honestly I feel like I learn so much here from everyone. Kinda of like logging into an online class every time I come here!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline pz

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 11:10:49 PM »
Hub another fantastic write up! Some great advice.

A cooking class would be great but honestly I feel like I learn so much here from everyone. Kinda of like logging into an online class every time I come here!

X2

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 07:45:06 AM »
Hub and I met at a competition BBQ cooking class several years ago.  I wanted to take the class before I started actively judging KCBS contests.  I wanted to have a good understanding of what the competitors go through for each contest.  Not only did I come away with a greater appreciation for the work required, but I came away with the beginnings of an expanded knowledge base in BBQ cooking.  This was my first introduction to pellet cooking.  I would eventually go forth and buy a MAK 2 Star.  I haven't looked back.  I have always loved to cook, but this opened my eyes to more possibilities.  Now when I travel I actively look for new things to try.  Some of them are my adaptation on my MAK.

Keep an open mind when you pick a class.  You may get something out of the class that you didn't plan to learn.  I did.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11