Author Topic: Smoked Kicked Up Mac & Cheese  (Read 4563 times)

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
Smoked Kicked Up Mac & Cheese
« Reply #-1 on: February 26, 2014, 12:15:23 PM »
Kicked-Up Macaroni & Cheese

Macaroni & Cheese, done correctly, is a great comfort food… it’s even good cold! This recipe brings humble macaroni & cheese to a new level with the addition of some jalapeños, spices, onion and, of course, bacon. Then it’s cooked in the smoker. (This recipe serves two but is easily doubled, tripled or quadrupled.)

8 ounces elbow pasta (about 2 2/3 cups)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups whole milk
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
5 slices jalapeño jack cheese, diced (about 1 cup)
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons hot sauce
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1 tablespoon finely minced jalapeño
1 tablespoon finely minced green pepper
2 slices bacon, cooked and chopped (about 1/4 cup)
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup panko crumbs
Paprika

Bring a medium-size (2 1/2-quart) pot half filled with salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook for seven to eight minutes, until al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water.

In the same saucepan melt the butter. Add the flour and cook, stirring, to form a blonde roux, about three to four minutes. Stir in the milk and cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens, about five minutes. Add the cheese and the spices. Stir until the cheeses melt. If the sauce is too thick, thin with more milk.

Butter an 8 1/2- by 8 1/2 by 2 1/2-inch casserole dish (or use individual 5 1/2- by 5 1/2- by 1 1/2-inch casseroles adjusting accordingly) and pour in enough pasta to come up about an inch (about 1 1/2 cups). Pour in one cup of the cheese mixture and stir. Sprinkle the jalapeño, green pepper and bacon evenly atop the pasta. Add the remaining pasta and 1 1/2 cups of the remaining sauce. (Depending on the size of the casserole dish you used, you may have extra sauce. It’s an excellent topping for steamed broccoli, baked potatoes and roasted chicken.)

Combine the Panko crumbs and parmesan in a small bowl. Sprinkle atop the macaroni & cheese. Dust with paprika.

There are a couple of options for smoking the casserole: hot and fast or low and slow. For hot and fast smoking, prepare the smoker for 350 degrees F. cooking. Cook the casserole for about 45 minutes. For low and slow, bring the smoker to 225 degrees F. and smoke the macaroni & cheese for two to three hours. (I use apple wood but use whatever wood you like.)

(Alternatively, the macaroni & cheese could be cooked in a 375 degrees F. oven for 30 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.)

Allow the casserole to rest for ten minutes before serving.

On the Yoder (left) and after smoking for about 45 minutes (right)

Prepared in individual casserole dishes

Prepared in a large casserole and served in a ramekin

Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Re: Smoked Kicked Up Mac & Cheese
« on: February 26, 2014, 12:37:10 PM »
Looks delicious, goes well with BBQ!!! Nice serving photo!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 01:43:18 PM »
Looks delicious .
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 02:01:20 PM »
I make a great macaroni and cheese and I wanted to show it off at the Gathering last September.  As I got to finishing it I decided to cook it in the smoker--something I had never done before.  Big mistake!  I over smoked it and it was so bitter that after I tasted it I threw it all away before anyone could taste it.  So, I guess one can smoke mac and cheese but don't do it as I did.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 02:09:41 PM »
Great looking recipe.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 02:26:47 PM »
Looks delicious, goes well with BBQ!!!

If I had that dish sitting front of me I might forget about the BBQ.  :P
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 06:26:05 PM »
Looks delicious Chef!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 08:42:07 PM »
Mike - that looks like a fantastic Mac ash Cheese recipe! I WILL be cooking that one and hoisting a toast in your direction my friend!

Dee - I always found that the cabinet type smokers really concentrate the smoke on food....I will bet you could smoke it in your Masterbuilt  - but for a lot less time than how Mike did in his Yoder.
I think the reason for the difference in intensity of smoke is that in Mike's Yoder - the pit is burning the pellets as rule for heat, and - residually there is smoke ( more smoke the lower the temp, the less smoke the higher the temp). All about amount smoke  lessening at efficiency of combustion increases. As well - in a pellet grill, the fan moves the air at a higher velocity thru a larger cabinet. Lower opportunity of smoke molecule contact with meat per cubic inch of cooking area.And - dwell time is decreased due to greater air velocity in the pellet grills.

In cabinet smokers - you have a dedicated heating element to provide the heat, and virtually 100% of the wood/chips/pucks/pellets used are for smoke only. Sure they will provide a little heat - but generally they are only going to smolder enough to really produce smoke.

More smoke, smaller cubic volume, lower air velocity = more smoky taste in same amount of time.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 08:47:10 PM »
Tee, You're right about it putting off a lot of smoke.  When I first got it everything was so oversmoked that I thought I was eating criosote.  I learn and do much gooder now.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 08:50:44 PM »
You might even want to try cold smoking it - then cooking it Dee? A lot of way to skin the kitty... ;)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 08:57:54 PM »
Dee,
You have a few months to "practice" your version of mac and cheese before the Gathering.  No excuses for not having it perfected by then.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 06:33:10 AM »
YUM!!!  Looks good Mike!

Smoked Mac & Cheese is a favorite around our house. I love a bread crumb topping like. We use fresh bread crumbs mixed with a little olive oil & paprika (no Parmesan for me).

Dee, I know what you mean about Mac & cheese not tasting good if it gets too much smoke. Had that happen before too.  Like Tee mentioned we now cook at a higher temp for a shorter time so it gets just a hint of smoke and love it.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68