Author Topic: Grits  (Read 1688 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Grits
« Reply #-1 on: March 14, 2014, 02:12:46 AM »
I thought I would write a little about grits since a lot of new members reply to a post about grits, saying I never heard of them. I love grits and enjoy reading history about the food we eat. Grits are a great side for BBQ. Use them with your smoked bacon, ham and sausage for a great breakfast.

Grits came from the Native American Indian. They ground up corn and cooked with it. As this country was settled and grew; grits mills sprang up around communities. They ground wheat for flour and corn. The corn was ground and then passed through a wire mesh, the fine stuff was cornmeal and the coarse stuff was grits.

The coastal states from Virginia to Texas are often referred to as the Grit Belt. Grits are also popular in Tennessee and Kentucky.

Grits are usually just cooked with water to a thick porridge and served with plenty of good butter on top and served along with bacon and eggs for a great breakfast. Another favorite is grits with ham and red eye gravy.

Basic red eye gravy is to fry a big slice of smoked country ham with plenty of fat. Then remove the ham to a hot plate leave 2 tablespoons of grease in the skillet; pour in some hot black coffee and stir to get all the brown bits of ham mixed in and serve over the ham. I like a little over the grits too. Serve with some eggs for a great breakfast. 

Another dish I love is shrimp over grits. They started out as a fisherman’s favorite breakfast, shrimp fried in bacon grease and served over grits. It was called shrimp breakfast. They did not become widely popular until a newspaper wrote a story about them in 1985. Now they are popular all over the south; served in many restaurants. This is pretty versatile, just fix shrimp your favorite way and serve over grits.

Being from the north, Ohio I didn’t grow up eating grits. My Mother fixed fried mush a lot for breakfast. She was born in 1921 the early part of the great depression. She said that some days all her family had to eat was cornmeal.

She fixed mush by cooking cornmeal with water, a little lard or bacon grease added, to a thick porridge. Then she poured it into a loaf pan and in the fridge to set up. Sometimes she would add some bacon bits or chopped ham to the mush. She would then slice it about ¼ inch thick and fry it in bacon grease or butter until crispy. That made a fine breakfast with some eggs and bacon. I like just salt and pepper on mine but some like maple syrup over it.

The first I ever had grits was in the USAF stationed in Turkey, 1964, with a small detachment. Our cook was from Texas and he usually had grits for breakfast. Once a week he would have ham and red eye gravy too. I learned to love my grits.

Most restaurants around here that have grits on the menu don’t know how to fix them; they are too runny. I like my grits thick enough they will hold a spoon upright when stuck in. Our local Bob Evens now has grits that are pretty good. Another local restaurant has fried mush on the menu that is good.

The best grits are old fashioned stone ground white or yellow but they take 20 minutes or more to cook. Next are fast grits that will cook in 5 minutes and aren’t bad. The least favorite is instant grits, but I will eat them in a pinch!

I liked this article copied from Wiki:
Whereas, throughout its history, the South has relished its grits, making them a symbol of its diet, its customs, its humor, and its hospitality, and whereas, every community in the State of South Carolina used to be the site of a grits mill and every local economy in the State used to be dependent on its product; and whereas, grits has been a part of the life of every South Carolinian of whatever race, background, gender, and income; and whereas, grits could very well play a vital role in the future of not only this State, but also the world, if as Charleston's The Post and Courier proclaimed in 1952, "An inexpensive, simple, and thoroughly digestible food, [grits] should be made popular throughout the world. Given enough of it, the inhabitants of planet Earth would have nothing to fight about. A man full of [grits] is a man of peace."

So eat your grits guys and you will be at Peace!
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Grits
« on: March 14, 2014, 03:06:03 AM »
Thanks Don.  Next you should write about polenta.  :D
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 04:04:37 AM »
Nice write up Don. I am not a fan of grits, but maybe that is because I have never had good ones.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 06:32:18 AM »
My Romanian grandma made mamaliga,  a cornmeal dish that she wiped the bowl with bacon grease, then a layer of cooked cornmeal, a layer of Brick cheese, another layer of cornmeal and another layer of Brick cheese, with bacon grease in between, Than another lay of both with bacon grease and bacon crumbled on top. then into the oven it goes to melt the cheese. She made this every day. In her lil Romanian village that was what they had the most of, very poor and if someone killed an animal, the entire town shared it and they cooked on an oven in the center of town. They baked their breads there too. I can't imagine, but I do make the mamaliga still and it's fabulous in a bowl of sour soup that we call Lettuce soup. The soup is like wilted lettuce but in a soup form. I grew up on this...and I have stories I could tell about growing up Romanian.  Pam   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 07:35:11 AM by Pam Gould »
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Hub

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 07:44:13 AM »

"Polenta" is more politically correct that grits. 

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 08:18:46 AM »

"Polenta" is more politically correct that grits. 

Hub

More "Food Network friendly" too.  :D  Kind of like when they insist on calling green beans haricot verts.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 08:22:58 AM »
TRUE:
More "Food Network friendly" too.  :D  Kind of like when they insist on calling green beans haricot verts.

Restaurant customer: "So - what is the difference between he haricot certs and the green beans?"

Waiter: "About 4 bucks"...... ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 08:59:16 AM »
I was going to mention polenta but wanted to keep it short. It's funny you mention grits and people will say I don't like them but mention polenta and they say love it! Polenta is Italian and the French call it poliente. They are more versatile with polenta and use it many ways in different dishes. In the US grits are mainly a breakfast item.

Search both in google images and you can see the difference. I use that a lot to see how something is suppose to look when prepared.

Around here you can find mush and polenta in round tubes in the refrigerated section. I find the polenta a little more creamier, made from fine ground cornmeal instead of grits.

Anyway eat both grits and polenta they both taste great!  ::) Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 09:37:32 AM »
When we characterize "grits" - most of us think only of that ubiquitous breakfast food.

But grits as in "Low Country Shrimp and Grits" ( found mostly in the S.E. USA - especially Georgia and the Carolinas ) are not like breakfast grits. They are much more like polenta - and may even be polenta - depending on the recipe.  Sometimes cooked in heavy cream, butter, seasonings, inclusive of cheese and herbs....They can be much more than plain - but good 'ole grits! ;)
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 09:48:02 AM »
Nice write-up Don.  I like all three; grits (hominy), polenta & fried cornmeal mush.  Fried cornmeal mush was a staple around our house growing up. I love it with some butter & maple syrup.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 03:28:36 PM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 10:11:23 AM »
Being from Louisiana we had our fair share of grits for breakfast. Breakfast was never served without grits in our house.  I love grits with salt, pepper, and butter for breakfast and any other way they can be fixed.

GRITS is also used as an acronym meaning Girls Raised In The South.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 10:23:41 AM »
Being from Louisiana we had our fair share of grits for breakfast. Breakfast was never served without grits in our house.  I love grits with salt, pepper, and butter for breakfast and any other way they can be fixed.

Terry aka TLG called me that once..I think he thinks I'm a southern girl even tho I grew up in the North. I have no idea why.  Pam   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 10:29:06 AM »

Being a Texajun myself....
We always believed that the fastest way to offend a Cajun was to put bread not he table before the rice..... ;D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 10:34:16 AM »

Being a Texajun myself....
We always believed that the fastest way to offend a Cajun was to put bread not he table before the rice..... ;D

LOL Very true.  :D
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 11:37:46 AM »
Raised on grits and still love grits. Never had any polenta, but if I had a chance I would try it. I know grits come from corn and I see polenta does to, so I'm sure it would be good.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]