Author Topic: Yoder  (Read 8580 times)

Offline zueth

Yoder
« Reply #-1 on: January 31, 2021, 10:51:37 PM »
On other boats these seem to get all sorts of praise, but not on here.  Why is that? Are there downfalls to these grills that are ignored on other boards?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Yoder
« on: February 01, 2021, 10:53:38 AM »
I don't think anyone here has one to be honest.   Although Tee had one but wasn't a big fan if I remember.

They are built like tanks but I don't think they are near as good as MAK or a RETEQ to be honest.   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline zueth

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 02:24:28 PM »
I feel like I read a report about their pellet consumption being very high, but don’t remember.

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 05:11:50 PM »
I feel like I read a report about their pellet consumption being very high, but don’t remember.

It takes a lot of pellets to heat up that heavy steel they're made from.  The upside is that they don't take a big internal pit temperature drop when you open the lid to peek, spritz or whatever.

EDIT:  Word choice for clarity.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 10:14:41 AM by pmillen »
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 11:09:34 AM »
I did pellet consumption testing years ago for Simi Pellet Grills.

I used a Yoder YS480.  A first generation Rec Tec 680.  Camp Chefs first pellet grill offering.

The Yoder is a pellet muncher. It is a wonderful solid pellet grill.

however the 1/4 steel is completely impractical for a pellet grill.

I was using their 200 dollar thermal blanket during the summer in Southern California and the pellet consumption was staggering.

I used the same types of meats in all three for the testing and could not tell which grill they came off of.

When the pellet test was over, the Yoder and Camp Chef were picked up and I purchased the Rec Tec.

That is a hard grill to beat.

However if you feel you need to spend 1500.00 or over for a grill get yourselve a MAK and be done with it.

The Smoke
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline pmillen

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 01:25:22 PM »

Smoke, that's excellent emperical data.

I don't know Simi Pellet Grills.  Are they a manufacturer or a retailer of various brands?

I'd add the Memphis line and the Cookshack Fast Eddy series to your MAK suggestion.  IMO they're the top three brands.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline zueth

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 01:41:51 PM »
Thanks Smoke. This is great info.
I would love to get a MAK, but RecTeq is more in price range.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 04:42:27 PM »

Smoke, that's excellent emperical data.

I don't know Simi Pellet Grills.  Are they a manufacturer or a retailer of various brands?

I'd add the Memphis line and the Cookshack Fast Eddy series to your MAK suggestion.  IMO they're the top three brands.

Simi Pellet Grills was a forum sponsor of ours for a short while and I became friends with the owner at the time.

They are now called The BBQ Headquarters and are in Simi Valley California. They are a distributor.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 04:43:00 PM »
Thanks Smoke. This is great info.
I would love to get a MAK, but RecTeq is more in price range.

I have never heard of an unhappy Rec Tec owner  :thumbup:
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline pmillen

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2021, 08:57:24 PM »
I have never heard of an unhappy Rec Tec owner

That might be because they purge all reviews that aren't 100% positive from their web site.  A practice I view as reprehensible.
Paul

Offline zueth

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2021, 10:57:13 PM »
Pmilen, care to expand on that comment, any recommendations if not a Rec Teq?

Offline pmillen

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2021, 09:52:24 AM »

I, and several others, have posted reviews that aren't 100% positive on the REC TEC web site and discovered that they are not made public.  It's been discussed in depth on another forum.  I'll PM the link to you.
Paul

Offline pmillen

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2021, 10:34:07 AM »
...any recommendations if not a Rec Teq?

Actually, I think that REC TEC, like many others, is a fine pit.  Just because I don't care to do business with them because of the way they handle less than perfect reviews, doesn't mean that you shouldn't buy one.

Having said that, when buying a pit, I suggest that you consider at least some of the following:
  • Are you looking for the ability to direct grill, or just low and slow?
  • What was it that you liked about your current pit that you want to retain?
  • What did you dislike that you want to change?
  • What features do you need in a controller (i.e., meat probes or remote control)?
  • How many people will you normally cook for?
  • What is the largest number of people you would need to cook for?
  • Do you have another grill that you will be keeping as overflow?
  • How important is it to you for it to be made in U.S.A?
  • Do you want to buy from a dealer or direct from manufacturer?
  • Do you need an insulated pit?
  • Do you need to be able to move the pit once you have it (take to comps, etc.)?
  • Does the size of the hopper matter?
  • Are you concerned about rusting (stainless steel)?
  • Have you been able to physically see or eat food from any of the pits you are considering?
  • What is your preferred upper cost limit?
  • What is the absolute upper cost limit?
Paul

Offline zueth

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2021, 10:53:22 PM »

I, and several others, have posted reviews that aren't 100% positive on the REC TEC web site and discovered that they are not made public.  It's been discussed in depth on another forum.  I'll PM the link to you.
Thanks

Offline zueth

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2021, 11:26:14 PM »
Great questions:
Are you looking for the ability to direct grill, or just low and slow?  Most of my cooking is low and slow, but would be nice to do the whole cook on the pellet girl instead of firing up the gaser to sear a steak.
What was it that you liked about your current pit that you want to retain? Really just the price, I got the GMG for free, CL find.
What did you dislike that you want to change? I would like a pit that imparts more a smoke flavor on the food, one that I can grill with if need, one that can hold more pellets, one with tighter temp control across the gril.
What features do you need in a controller (i.e., meat probes or remote control)? WiFi would be nice to have, but not a necessity.  I have all sorts of meet probes I can use if needed.
How many people will you normally cook for? Typically just the family and for immediate family and friends for bday parties, holidays, etc...
What is the largest number of people you would need to cook for?  Probably 20-30.
Do you have another grill that you will be keeping as overflow? I would like to get rid of the GMG, i have a Webber gasser and SRG I will keep
How important is it to you for it to be made in U.S.A? Would be nice, but doesn't have to be.
Do you want to buy from a dealer or direct from manufacturer? I am thinking direct, but either is okay.
Do you need an insulated pit? I don't think, so live in PNW, so doesn't get too cold normally.
Do you need to be able to move the pit once you have it (take to comps, etc.)? Woudl be nice to take to family's houses to cook, but not a necessity.
Does the size of the hopper matter? Woudl be nice to have a hopper I can load up for a long cook and not worry about checking it.
Are you concerned about rusting (stainless steel)? stainless steel definitely preferred, the GMG is starting to rust.
Have you been able to physically see or eat food from any of the pits you are considering? No, unfortunately i have not
What is your preferred upper cost limit? $1,000
What is the absolute upper cost limit? $1,500