Author Topic: Mother's Day triple Play  (Read 2470 times)

Offline Smokin Papa Steve

Mother's Day triple Play
« Reply #-1 on: May 09, 2016, 07:51:56 AM »
Hope everyone enjoyed Mother's Day - we did with a large cook.  First time for making pork belly.  Got an 8 lb slab from our local Costco - saved some for curing bacon (first attempt) and smoked about 5 lbs.  Added some tri-tip and chicken to round out the meal.  The pork belly was a bit dry as I took it to 190F IT - don't know if that is correct but seemed to be based on other Internet sites. 

The chicken and tri-tip were good but honestly, I've had better results on my PK Grill.  I really want to like the PBC but with the so-so results and all the extra effort needed to adjust the temps (plugging rebar holes with foil) I am not just feeling it.  I am considering perhaps selling or donating my PBC and moving on from there.  Sorry for being a downer but when I do a cook it has to be enjoyable and with the results I am getting it's just not happening :-[

[attachments deleted after 6 months]

Offline Kona

Re: Mother's Day triple Play
« on: May 09, 2016, 08:27:18 AM »
why the need to adjust temps? That's the beauty of the PBC, it's more of a set it and forget it cooker. I've had outstanding results every time with my various cooks
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 09:33:40 AM »
why the need to adjust temps? That's the beauty of the PBC, it's more of a set it and forget it cooker. I've had outstanding results every time with my various cooks

For me the temps are usually very high, around 345F and I pug 2 rebar holes to get it down.  Maybe for chicken that temp is good but for brisket, butt, etc it is too high. But the important issue is the taste; it just is not what I expected

Offline Kona

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 09:58:47 AM »

For me the temps are usually very high, around 345F and I pug 2 rebar holes to get it down.  Maybe for chicken that temp is good but for brisket, butt, etc it is too high. But the important issue is the taste; it just is not what I expected

I just did an outstanding Butt yesterday and my ribs by my friends have said they're the best they have ever eaten. Have you tried it without adjusting the temps? I was having an issue where I was letting my coals get too hot before putting on the meat and after speaking with Noah, I now let the coals go for 12 minutes and the meat goes on. I was waiting 20 mins and my food was cooking too fast (I'm in South Florida) so my vent is only open a 1/4

Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 10:29:32 AM »
There is a different flavor when cooking directly over coals in a PBC or UDS barrel. Whether it is 225 or 345. The grease fog that is created from drippings and seasonings falling onto the lit coals below is a different flavor profile than any other cooker. I cooked only on a 75 gallon drum smoker for about 5 years and the family finally had a revolt. They just got tired of that flavor. You should have no problems selling your PBC. They are a hot ticket.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 10:41:59 AM »
Some nice meats for Mother's Day!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 12:22:01 PM »
Still looks like a heck of a spread!  :P
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 03:13:50 PM »
Food looks great!

The flavor profile of the PBC is created from charcoal and is not for everyone. Not really a smoker IMHO. It is something entirely different. We all have our own likes and dislikes when it comes to food flavors. I don't fault you if your not happy. I hate peas and some people love them. There are a lot of people who love the food coming from the PBC. Good luck on your sale I am sure you will get a good chunk of your investment back...
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 03:47:55 PM »
Hello Smoking Papa Steve, Please feel free to give us a call anytime and we can troubleshoot your high temps. It may just be the lighting process :)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 03:50:55 PM »
Love it, send some for me to try :D :D :D
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 07:22:37 PM »
Steve you might be starting out a little hot. Give Noah a call ,I know he will be a big help. I have had mine for about a year and it's about all I cook on . Everyone seems to love the food off the PBC. If you want to sell it I'll bet it will be easy.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline Aclarke44

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 10:01:56 PM »
Papa Steve.....What's your lighting process?

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 05:37:36 AM »
Plate me up! Looks great  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 08:27:36 PM »
Hope everyone enjoyed Mother's Day - we did with a large cook.  First time for making pork belly.  Got an 8 lb slab from our local Costco - saved some for curing bacon (first attempt) and smoked about 5 lbs.  Added some tri-tip and chicken to round out the meal.  The pork belly was a bit dry as I took it to 190F IT - don't know if that is correct but seemed to be based on other Internet sites. 

The chicken and tri-tip were good but honestly, I've had better results on my PK Grill.  I really want to like the PBC but with the so-so results and all the extra effort needed to adjust the temps (plugging rebar holes with foil) I am not just feeling it.  I am considering perhaps selling or donating my PBC and moving on from there.  Sorry for being a downer but when I do a cook it has to be enjoyable and with the results I am getting it's just not happening :-[

I forgot to attach my Sunday best T-shirt.  Thanks for all the Pro-PBC comments.  I am away now and will contact PBC next week when I return

[attachments deleted after 6 months]