Author Topic: Beef Short Ribs Suggestions  (Read 1522 times)

Offline Kona

Beef Short Ribs Suggestions
« Reply #-1 on: March 08, 2016, 02:48:15 PM »
I bought some beef short ribs which I've never done before, any suggestions for cooking them on the PBC? I would imagine it's much the same as any other cook just put them on the grate?
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline bobh665

Re: Beef Short Ribs Suggestions
« on: March 08, 2016, 07:29:13 PM »
I just did brased short ribs today on my PBC using Malcom Reeds recipe. They turned out great. Two hours in the PBC and finished them in the oven with his recipe.

Offline Kona

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 07:20:37 PM »
I just did brased short ribs today on my PBC using Malcom Reeds recipe. They turned out great. Two hours in the PBC and finished them in the oven with his recipe.

I'll have to try that recipe, I just threw them on tonight for a couple hours just to see how they would turn out and while they were done with outstanding flavor, they were nowhere near tender to how I'd like them. Only a few bites were. I'll definitely go the braising route or even finish them in my Pressure Cooker.

I did notice during this cook that the lid on my PBC isn't sitting completely flush. I noticed one side was a bit higher and I had to go over and press down on the lid to get it to completely seal. I don't think any extra air was getting in prior to me pressing it down but you never know. I know now to press it down.
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 09:02:33 PM »
I find that combining my PBC and the use of  Sous Vide - can make for some of the "best you ever had" cookies of foods that tend to be tough, sinewy, or otherwise hard to make as tender as you like. You can cold smoke first, then season, drop them into a vacuum bag and Sous Vide - then pull them out and finish on your PBC.....The best of all worlds for flavor and tenderness.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 12:19:13 AM »
I find that combining my PBC and the use of  Sous Vide - can make for some of the "best you ever had" cookies of foods that tend to be tough, sinewy, or otherwise hard to make as tender as you like. You can cold smoke first, then season, drop them into a vacuum bag and Sous Vide - then pull them out and finish on your PBC.....The best of all worlds for flavor and tenderness.
Interesting idea... now that it has stopped snowing (for awhile) I will have to try this...
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #