Author Topic: Trial for low and slow  (Read 1714 times)

Offline cody0707

Trial for low and slow
« Reply #-1 on: March 09, 2016, 09:14:46 AM »
I was sitting around thinking about low and slow in the PBC like the WSM. I have a mini WSM and was thinking, well it is almost like a PBC the only difference is there is something to block the direct heat. So I got to thinking, why not add something just above the coals to make it more indirect. I like to tinker and will be giving this a try. It will be something like this but turned over so the bolts will act like legs and keep the pan elevated over the coal basket.

I like the idea of throwing meat on the smoker before going to bed then wake up to a perfectly cooked piece of meat. Sure I have other smokers that could do it but like I said, I like to tinker and this mod would not require any drilling in the PBC. I will keep you all updated and hopefully have a butt cooked in this fashion by this weekend.

Offline tomcrete1

Re: Trial for low and slow
« on: March 09, 2016, 09:50:28 AM »
Keep us posted, Looks very Interesting,,  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 10:38:16 AM »
Interested to see your results.

By doing this you are removing the drippings onto the hot coals effect. It will make it a less humid and more dry environment in the cooker. You may need to add a water pan to create the humidity needed.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline cody0707

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 10:51:52 AM »
Interested to see your results.

By doing this you are removing the drippings onto the hot coals effect. It will make it a less humid and more dry environment in the cooker. You may need to add a water pan to create the humidity needed.

Good point. I will keep this in mind. If I am not getting the fog from the drippings than adding wood may be an important aspect to this test.

Offline Daze823

• BBQs, You can't have just one :)
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 12:47:08 PM »
On the other hand, If the top of that plate has a lip, the dropings may collect and evaporate right from the plate..  Will be interesting to see how it works out...  Either way, I think it is a great idea, I enjoy seeing the ideas everyone comes up with on this site.
TEC Patio II Infrared Grill
Charbroil, The Big Easy Smoker. Roaster & Grill (SRG)
Weber Premier Charcoal Grill

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 01:34:18 PM »
In no attempt to "put out you campfire...."  ;) ...

But - have you tried just regulating the temperature down - by blocking of 3 of the 4 exhaust holes - the ones where you would usually have re-bar placed?

You can do this easily by either using wine bottle corks, or aluminum foil - or if you are using the re-bar, you can stuff around the re-bar with rolled up aluminum foil.

I have cooked a pork butt all-night long this way. It was in the 9 hour range of time - and it works well. If you search posts by 1Bigg_ER on LTBBQ - you will find where he did this, and it works great. That guy really comes up with some good ideas - as do many of you here :).
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 02:02:33 PM by teesquare »
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline viscera912

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 07:45:26 PM »
just a note, when you choke down it does take some maintenance.  in other words, i haven't felt that I could leave it overnight and then come back.  ive seen where some cooks, such as brisket, drippings put the coal out and sometimes you have to crack the lid to bring the temp back up a little bit.  i would say the choking down temp is more of an advanced technique and until you have it down, i wouldn't just do it, go to bed, and expect your meat to be at your temps.  not trying to put down anyone, just letting you know my personal experience.  btw, like teesquare mentioned, i got that technique from bigg on this forum