Author Topic: I pulled the trigger today!  (Read 3311 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
I pulled the trigger today!
« Reply #-1 on: March 17, 2016, 06:44:24 PM »
I stumbled across the PBC while looking around at Ugly Drum Smokers. I was actually led to this site in that search (and joined obviously, duh!). I read the unfortunate goings on about PBC and their story intrigued me and I always root for the little guy so I ordered me one with an ash pan. I hope that they thrive and the matter is put to rest swiftly (trying not to say TOO much here, I am sure y'all know what I'm talking about). I also want to support a man that was brave enough to put his life on the line and serve in the military and go overseas to fight for my freedom and right to grill dead animals. 'MURICA!!!! He is a Hero and he needs for me to pay him back anyway that I can. If ordering his cooker helps, then how can I resist?

Anyhoo.....the main reason I got it was for chicken! It has been my nemesis for some time. I can make butts, ribs, brisket, pretty much everything BBQ related as good as anyone but SKIN ON chicken mocks me. It points it's funky little chicken foot fingers at me a laughs. I've had enough! From what I can tell, the PBC makes crispy skin chicken. I am hoping for some validation to this as if I serve another rubber skin chicken to Mrs. RG she's gonna slap me! She LOVES crispy skin so any tips/advice you care to offer will be welcomed!

A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline hikerman

Re: I pulled the trigger today!
« on: March 17, 2016, 06:50:39 PM »
RG the PBC can cook up some pretty darn good chicken with not much effort. A lot of us crack the lid for about the last 10 minutes or so.

Offline bobh665

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 07:34:37 PM »
For Chicken I crack the lid about 1" for the final 15 minutes. For me the skin comes out crisp but not crunchy crisp. Let us know how it goes.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 08:31:35 PM »
Salt the skin and let it air dry in the fridge overnight. That will pull out the moisture and make for crispy skin.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 09:26:19 PM »
I also crack the lid for about 15 minutes at the end, great results every time  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 10:34:28 PM »
Guy I usually pull all the skin off and nuke it for chicarones, a treat for the cook. I have done eatable crispy skin chicken on my pellet grill but it is hard to achieve. If I want really crispy skin chicken I go to Sandman's carry out and get broasted chicken! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 01:42:29 PM »
The PBC is the best chicken cooker around.........and it is no slouch at everything else either  8) 8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline RG

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 02:09:47 PM »
The PBC is the best chicken cooker around.........and it is no slouch at everything else either  8) 8)

I just want crispy skin, lol. If it can do that then I'll be happy. If it can't then I may get punched in the gut by my wife. I am praying this thing delivers, lol!!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 07:10:17 PM »
I'll bet you will be happy with the chicken and anything else you cook on it !!!!
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 07:50:29 PM »

I just want crispy skin, lol. If it can do that then I'll be happy. If it can't then I may get punched in the gut by my wife. I am praying this thing delivers, lol!!

follow Mikes advice about the salt on the skin and only use one re-bar diagonally and you should have crispy skin no sore tummy...... ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline RG

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 08:20:22 PM »

follow Mikes advice about the salt on the skin and only use one re-bar diagonally and you should have crispy skin no sore tummy...... ;)

Hmmm....so you're saying use 1 rebar and run it from one of its holes to where the other rebar would be diagonally? I assume that this lets more air in at the top to increase the temp? Will this affect the cook time, lessen it?

No sore tummy is good btw, lol

Offline RG

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 08:22:24 PM »
I just checked the tracking, it'll be to me Wednesday via FedEx. I can't wait! I am going to buy some chix this weekend and have them ready to rock come Wednesday!

Offline RG

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 02:19:43 PM »
I have a dumb question here, when y'all talk about cracking the lid the last 15 minutes are you referring to lifting it up and propping it open an inch or simply sliding it back (horizontally) to create a crack?

Offline hikerman

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 02:30:40 PM »
It's just askew. Slide it back a bit not much, about an inch or two is all you'll need!

Offline RG

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2016, 03:56:47 PM »
It's just askew. Slide it back a bit not much, about an inch or two is all you'll need!

Gotcha! Thanks for the quick reply ;)