Author Topic: Cooking Chicken Pieces Without The "Grease Fog" ?  (Read 7881 times)

Offline ChrisD46

Cooking Chicken Pieces Without The "Grease Fog" ?
« Reply #-1 on: December 16, 2020, 04:49:12 AM »
My attempts to cook chicken pieces in the Pit Barrel resulted in chicken tasting like grease / smoke and not a good BBQ taste . I believe next I will try putting the chicken pieces on the grill grate elevated on a wire rack sitting inside  a pan with a half inch or so of water to catch drippings . This approach using a couple of smoking wood chunks (Apple / Pecan) in the charcoal should yield a BBQ taste and not a grease taste in the finished chicken pieces . *Have you done similar - your thoughts ?

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
Re: Cooking Chicken Pieces Without The "Grease Fog" ?
« on: December 16, 2020, 10:58:03 AM »
This question has generated quite a lot of discussion on other forums.  The two opinions on renderings hitting the coals, vaporizing and coming back up as a "fog" –
  • Makes the best chicken.  No other cooker can match it.  (Several competitive BBQ teams cook their entries this way.)
  • The grease taste is horrible.  We'll never do it again.
IDK if some variable enters into the mix and changes the imparted taste or if it's simply a matter of personal taste preferences.

Perhaps it's genetic—in the same manner that some people think cilantro tastes like soap.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 11:17:27 AM »
Chicken is a smoke magnet for sure.

Having a drip pan on the cooking grate will surely tame the smoke and grease dripping on the coals and should work out fine

I do my chicken in an air fryer these days.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 02:07:29 PM »
My family doesn't like the grease fog.  I only put charcoal in 1/2 my charcoal basket and cook on the other side.   No grease fog.   My family likes chicken on the Weber kettle now.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 03:40:08 PM »
My family doesn't like the grease fog.  I only put charcoal in 1/2 my charcoal basket and cook on the other side.   No grease fog.   My family likes chicken on the Weber kettle now.
Its just downright difficult to beat a kettle....
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 06:51:36 PM »
As Tommy will probably agree with, my Charbroil SRG is my go to way for poultry both wings and pieces.  I also use my Weber Deluxe Poultry Roaster in my Weber Kettle and SRG with excellent results.  I can also use it in my pellet grill.  It is an excellent way to cook.