Author Topic: Have you gotten rid of smokers?  (Read 7994 times)

Offline DWard51

Re: Have you gotten rid of smokers?
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2016, 10:41:03 PM »
I forgot that I did pass a grill to a good friend who is on a fixed income (retired & medical issues).  His no-name Walmart special was on it's poor last rusty legs.  I had just bought a nice new (new to me and in like new condition) Weber Summit S-670 uber gasser.  So I gave them my old Holland Grill which I had rebuilt at least twice.  The final rebuild was "the way it should have been" to start with.  That was 3 years ago and they are still loving the Holland Grill and use it often.

So, I guess that is another rotation (and it's a grill, not a smoker)?

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2016, 11:09:12 AM »
I forgot that I did pass a grill to a good friend who is on a fixed income (retired & medical issues).  His no-name Walmart special was on it's poor last rusty legs.  I had just bought a nice new (new to me and in like new condition) Weber Summit S-670 uber gasser.  So I gave them my old Holland Grill which I had rebuilt at least twice.  The final rebuild was "the way it should have been" to start with.  That was 3 years ago and they are still loving the Holland Grill and use it often.

So, I guess that is another rotation (and it's a grill, not a smoker)?
And a great way to rotate it is!   
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2016, 04:05:39 PM »
Most definitely rotating cookers here! I can't force myself to get rid of any of mine. Each has it's purpose in my
arsenal.  BUT, there is always room for more!  8) ;)

X2!
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline jimsbarbecue

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2016, 12:35:29 AM »
Yes and acquire some, still have a uds I got from Sparky..

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2016, 11:29:00 AM »
Yes and acquire some, still have a uds I got from Sparky..

You still have my junior Jim?
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline jimsbarbecue

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2016, 12:53:45 AM »
I do not. I did double wall it and used it for camping. A friend borrowed it and ask how much to keep it. He uses it weekly.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2016, 01:04:01 AM »
I do not. I did double wall it and used it for camping. A friend borrowed it and ask how much to keep it. He uses it weekly.

Cool. Sounds like it has been on an adventure :)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2016, 08:24:43 AM »
I have given away an offset smoker that needed some new paint and I also gave away an LP Gas Grill, stainless steel 3 burner. To my knowledge, both are still in action! As for current grills, I may end up ditching the PBC, I'm on the fence with it right now.
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline grossie

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2016, 08:57:51 AM »
I'm constantly fighting to keep my patio clear enough for me to relax with a cigar and adult beverage and still keep all my cooking gear on it. So, I have done some rotating.  :)   

Before I started smoking (meat, not cigars) I had acquired an ECB (stainless) as a gift for managing not to get laid off for 10 years at work. Honestly, I completely forgot about it after a few months and only remembered after finding a bunch of you fine folks on the CB site after buying my TBE. I finally got the ECB down, unboxed it, made a few of the easy mods, but never got around to using it, as I was too busy experimenting with TBE. After buying a BEESR, I finally posted the (like new!) ECB on craigslist and sold it to someone in the next town.

Once I picked up my PBC a couple of years ago, I realized I would be doing almost all (OK, it's been 2 years, I can take out the "almost') my pork butts, ribs, wings, yard birds, brisket, etc. in the PBC. So, when the opportunity to get a co-worker interested in outdoor cooking came along, I gave him my Cajun Injector 30".

Now that I picked up a Cabela's Ultimate Cookstation, I'm trying to decide if I need to get rid of my TBE, BEESR, or fridge/grill combo. Since the TBE and BEESR can't keep my beer cold, I'm thinking one of them. Or, maybe just wait it out and see if the old lady gets used to the cluttered look.

And I rotate a lot of grills. It seems like about the time I replace most of the internals, there's either something new I want or something else goes wrong. Ohio weather doesn't help. Nor does the fact I seem to lose or quit using covers.

I did give my infrared two burner to the neighbor this weekend. That should be good enough to make room for the cookstation. Even thought it had less than half the footprint.
PBC
Cabela's Ultimate Cookstation
Pizza oven for above
TBE
BEESR

Offline enassar

• Oven Dried Tomatoes - A personal blog about food and film
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2016, 04:51:55 PM »
Hell no. I love my PBC for all kinds of stuff, but I still think my old offset smoker produces a better result for one thing - Texas whole brisket! Or maybe I just love the ritual with fiddling and babying a brisket for 14 hours. It's part of the experience for me and I think using small logs works much better for brisket. Either way, my offset smoker is also my grill. So it ain't going anywhere. PBC is only for slow cooking items. I still have to try a dessert on the PBC but have not gotten around to it even though I've had it for a while now.
E. Nassar
Houston, TX - enassar(at)gmail(dot)com

www.ovendriedtomatoes.com
A personal blog about food and film