Author Topic: My PBC threw me my first curve ball.  (Read 12557 times)

Offline AndyL

My PBC threw me my first curve ball.
« Reply #-1 on: October 20, 2019, 09:31:08 AM »
Ran into my first inconsistent cook with my PBC yesterday. Easily took twice as long for the chicken than previous cooks, after 5 1/2 hours the butt was only at 143 deg F.  The same size butts were wrapped and done at 5 1/2 hours. All things were equal as far as damper setting, charcoal amounts in the basket and burn time in the chimney starter. I figure it was a combination of a few things. 34 deg F when I put the meat in (7lb butt, 4 chicken halves), 12 minutes of burn time in the chimney starter (next time I'll try 15 mins) and not spreading the coals from chimney starter evenly in the basket. The outside temp definitely was a factor,  but in my previous experience with other cookers/smokers it shouldn't have doubled my cook time, I might be wrong on that. All in all other than the lengthy cook time the food still came out delicious as always so I can't complain! Any thoughts on this or helpful tips from folks with way more PBC experience than me would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 09:51:43 AM by AndyL »

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
Re: My PBC threw me my first curve ball.
« on: October 20, 2019, 10:51:42 AM »
I use a thermometer in my barrel and it has saved me many a times. Turns out where I was using my barrel just outside of my patio cover, there must be a wind vortex that effects the air flow as I would get all kinds of temp swings and have all kinds of issues. I moved it farther away and have taken it camping and it runs very consistent. If it weren't for the thermometer I probably wouldn't have figured it out and I likely would have gotten rid of the thing thinking it was the barrels fault or issue. I know it's supposed to be a set it and forget it cooker, but there are many factors that come into play, outside temp, winds, charcoal moisture content, amount of grease droppings extinguishing the coals, etc... so it's nice to monitor what's going on inside so you don't have these kinds of surprises. Just my experience for what it's worth. 
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s
Weber 22" kettle w/slow-n-sear

Offline AndyL

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 03:26:36 PM »
Just my experience for what it's worth.

Hey Mike,  thanks a lot for taking the time to share those helpful tips! This is exactly why I joined this forum in the first place, picking up useful information from experienced folks and sharing advice about the hobby we all love.

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 06:44:35 PM »
I've learned a ton in my time here and it's a great little community. I don't contribute much, but I'm a total sponge with all the info. Keep at it and you'll find what works for you. I was once of the mind that thermometers were for the weak and those that didn't know what they were doing...until I joined this forum and understood the importance of certain things and realized I didn't really know what I was doing! My BBQ game has grown so much since joining and listening. Just beware, hang out around here long enough and not only will your BBQ game grow, but so will your BBQ collection! Ask me how I know....
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s
Weber 22" kettle w/slow-n-sear

Offline AndyL

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 07:20:06 PM »
Just beware, hang out around here long enough and not only will your BBQ game grow, but so will your BBQ collection! Ask me how I know....

No doubt! I can already feel that coming!  ;D