Author Topic: Rust issues....  (Read 10796 times)

Offline jeffncris

Rust issues....
« Reply #-1 on: June 09, 2020, 11:09:35 AM »
Hello guys,
   I had a bit of rust on my new PBC about 6 months ago, around the bead on the bottom where the bottom of the barrel is attached. I cleaned it all out and painted it over with rust resistant paint, but it's back to haunt me. I'm gonna try and clean it all again, then run a bead of heat resistant silicone around the bead to cover it up. Do you guys think this will work? Have you faced similar issues? Replacement is a huge issue for me, I live in Portugal and had to buy and ship my PBC from England, which probably makes mine the most expensive PBC on the planet so I need this thing to last helluva long time!

Thanks for the advice!
Jeffncris

Offline Walleyewacker

Re: Rust issues....
« on: June 09, 2020, 06:40:01 PM »
Jeffncris Don’t have that much experience on the rust issue. I don’t understand why other country’s make it so hard financially To buy and ship items it just blows my mind. Hope someone else can help with the rust I’d of thought what you did would of fixed it.

Offline Oneof11

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 06:57:41 PM »
With metal cookers there is always a battle with rust. Food has lots of salt that drips down so what you are doing is about all you can do. Keep it clean. sand and paint and wash when you can. Sometimes sealing it up may be worse because you have already started using it. Should have done it from the very beginning. Isn't that cooker ceramic coated?
Go Chiefs!!!!

Offline stalag

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 12:32:20 AM »
For a cooker or other system that can hit high heat.

1.  thoroughly clean to prep the surfaces.  Paint won't stick to surfaces that are not bare metal! This includes an oxidized surface i.e. rust!
2.  Use a primer meant for a high heat application.  This helps the top coat to stick
3.  Use a high temperature paint.  Regular paint will burn and degrade at temperatures as low as 200 F.

I know nothing, I see nothing, I hear nothing.

Offline jeffncris

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 03:00:48 AM »
Thanks for the replies, guys. Yeah the cooker is ceramic coated. The rust is on the outside, where the bottom is attached to the barrel. Theres a rolled bead and its between the bead and the barrel. I just don't want that to eventually spread and rot the bottom. I used high temp paint when I repaired it the first time, but I didn't use high temp primer so I'll look into getting some and trying that. In the States you can buy another barrel, but thats not really an option for me. Funny thing is, I live in a very dry climate and practically nothing rusts here! Go figure….

Thanks,
jeffncris

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 10:24:49 AM »
Thanks for the replies, guys. Yeah the cooker is ceramic coated. The rust is on the outside, where the bottom is attached to the barrel. Theres a rolled bead and its between the bead and the barrel. I just don't want that to eventually spread and rot the bottom. I used high temp paint when I repaired it the first time, but I didn't use high temp primer so I'll look into getting some and trying that. In the States you can buy another barrel, but thats not really an option for me. Funny thing is, I live in a very dry climate and practically nothing rusts here! Go figure….

Thanks,
jeffncris

Check the specs on the high temp paint you're going to use. Some don't use a primer.

Offline ClimberDave

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 02:38:52 PM »
May shoot an email with pics to Pit Barrel  they may have some suggestions.

Kamado Joe III Big Joe
Weber 22" One-Touch kettle
Weber Smokey Joe Simpsons Edition
PBC
Slow and Sear
Generic gasser
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Anova One
Joule
Anova Nano

Offline jeffncris