Author Topic: Upright or Chest Freezer?  (Read 1707 times)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Upright or Chest Freezer?
« Reply #-1 on: July 16, 2014, 07:50:38 AM »
Sailor just had problems with his chest freezer going on the fluke.  I looking at having an outdoor cooking area done in the next few months and as part of it will be a separate refrigerator and separate freezer. 

I'll have a choice between a chest and an upright freezer and am leaning toward an upright but I thought I'd ask y'all for opinions of the advantages and disadvantages of each. 

Thanks, Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Upright or Chest Freezer?
« on: July 16, 2014, 08:17:56 AM »
Upright....

Reason is chest style is hard to stack food where it can be reach easy and many times food will over looked till one day 5 years later you find it.

Then we see post like "Look what I found"  in the bottom of the freezer  :D :D :D :D :D 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 08:27:23 AM »
It is about convenience vs efficiency. Cold "sinks" and warmer air rises - right?
A chest freezer will stay cooler longer in the event of a power outage, failure, etc, - but like Tommy said - stacking, and seeing what is in the bottom of them is a real pain....

One thing to consider - that I believe is even more important than the form factor you select: buy a commercial freezer. They do not auto defrost. Auto defrosting the the number #1 reason for freezer burned foods.

If you vacuum pack your foods - you can easily go 3 years between defrosting - and your foods will remain fresh.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 10:52:16 AM by teesquare »
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 08:45:00 AM »
Outside kitchen with a freezer..heaven..congrats..I'm jealous, well not jealous..envious.  Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 08:47:18 AM »
go for the upright. Tommy is spot on about having a hidden brisket and not even knowing it is in there  ???
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 09:35:07 AM »
I say go with a chest freezer. As far as I know all chest freezers do not defrost. And even though it might be a bit more difficult to find stuff you can really load them up.

I am always amazed how much I can fit in mine.

And freezer finds at the bottom can be a unexpected surprise ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 10:40:52 AM »
I have both !
A upright for household items & a 9 cu ft.chest
In garage for wild game & bulky items.
I put butts , briskest , whole poultry etc. in chest,
Nothing to small.
We'll packaged items will keep 2-3 times as long in chest as upright for the reasons mentioned.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 10:53:55 AM by LostArrow »
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 10:50:23 AM »
I have a chest freezer and use these deep baskets from container store to organize things by meat type and date vac sealed and since they stack up crosswise in the freezer it's easy to pick one up and see what's below and to be able to rotate stock by keeping the older baskets on top.

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/kitchen/refrigeratorFreezer?productId=10006650

Offline CANNON-MAN

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 10:58:46 AM »
I have had both. And I agree that a chest freezer can be a problem. The latest chest freezer that we purchased had sectioned dividers that divided the chest into 8 vertical chambers. I found this so helpful that I built the same kind of dividers in my other chest freezer. I put all the wild game from each year in one or more of the chambers. vegetables in another and fruits in others. The chambers keep food from getting all mixed up. I can keep older meat separate from the newest game. You still have the lift out baskets for special things but the things under them stay separated.

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 11:25:10 AM »
I have a chest freezer and use these deep baskets from container store to organize things by meat type and date vac sealed and since they stack up crosswise in the freezer it's easy to pick one up and see what's below and to be able to rotate stock by keeping the older baskets on top.

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/kitchen/refrigeratorFreezer?productId=10006650
Just what we need,thanks!!
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 12:46:15 PM »
Upright....

Reason is chest style is hard to stack food where it can be reach easy and many times food will over looked till one day 5 years later you find it.

Then we see post like "Look what I found"  in the bottom of the freezer  :D :D :D :D :D

I have an upright and still have those "Look what I found" moments.

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 02:14:45 PM »
I think each has pros and cons.  Had an upright for many years and it was a manual defrost.  Easy to find stuff in the upright.  The chest freezer is a manual defrost and as member say it can be hard to find stuff.  I have baskets and I know what type of stuff is in each basket so it is not hard for me to find stuff.  The big plus for me is that a chest freezer will keep stuff cold a lot longer in a power outage.  It will not keep stuff frozen for 5 or 6 days and I can vouch for that  ::) I also think you can get more stuff in a chest freezer than you can in an upright freezer even if they are the same cubic inches.  I think the chest freezer is cheaper to operate because you get more filled volume and less air space to keep cold.  I now turn you back to your regular scheduled program.  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline catinatree

• Boulder, Colorado
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 07:19:48 PM »
I've had both, have only an upright now, and really the key is which ever one you have it must be organized ! the chest even more so !!!!
GMG Daniel Boone
Southwest Discada 24" Rio Grande
Discada tri-pod burner
PolyScience Sous Vide

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 08:39:03 PM »
It appears that there is a common word which keeps appearing that may have me leaning toward the upright and that word is "organized". 
In my life I have been called many things...good and bad..but "organized" ain't one of them.  My thought process, such that it is, is organized but that's about the extent of my organizing.  I used  to put a 4x8 piece of plywood on the top of every desk I had in the Army for a desk top.  Standard tops were just tooooo small.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline tnjimbob

• I'm a grillin & smokin' fool.
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 10:51:33 PM »
We had a Kenmore upright for nearly 40 years. It had cooling tubes that ran through each wire shelf, and kept food for a long time, even through many power outages. It was not an auto-defrost model, and we had to defrost it about once a year or so. Earlier this year, it finally died. We went to get something out for dinner, and found it was nearly 25° inside. We defrosted it and gave it four hours to cool back down, but the temp never got below 50°, so we got a newer model upright. It has been excellent for the few months we have had it, and as a bonus it has a high temp alarm that sounds if the temp is over 20° for longer than a few minutes.

I prefer an upright, as my family had a huge chest freezer and I remember it being a pain in the butt to sort through identically sized butcher paper wrapped meats from a processing house, and I nearly fell in several times over the years. We also lost several things that got buried, and defrosting that beast was nearly impossible. Guess that's why we rarely did.
Rec Tec pellet grill
Traeger Lil' Tex Elite 07E
Weber WSM
Weber SS Performer
Weber OTG w/ rotisserie
Char Broil SRG
A-maze-n-tube smoker
Hyperfast Orange Thermapen