Author Topic: It started bad but it's getting better  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Vir

It started bad but it's getting better
« Reply #-1 on: July 17, 2014, 02:11:10 AM »
PART ONE:  You know how how people say "it never happened to me" well it finally happened to me. We went out of town for awhile only to get a call from my neighbor. Seems someone decided we no longer needed our infrared grill, Akorn, Kettle grill, patio table and chairs and the Adirondack chairs. They also tore up the backdoor trying to get in the house but the alarm system scared them off. No clear camera footage was recorded of the perps  since they came through the woods at the back of the property.

PART TWO:  We got the phone call from the neighbor about 7:30 pm and decided to head back home even though there was nothing we could do until the next day. So we loaded up and headed down the road. Decided we would stop and get some gas and coffee for the drive back. Wife heads in to the store while I pump gas and BAM a guy come sliding around the corner of my truck with piece of re-bar in his hand and a bad look on his face. Luckily the hose was between he and I and I went in to back stepping trying to create some room between us and to give me some place to get to beside there. No luck, I am not that fast. So for the second time in twenty years I had to pull my concealed weapon out and command him to the ground. The store clerk called the cops while I kept the guy laid out. Police arrived, laid me out at gun point and then started sorting out what was going on. Long story short the guy was arrested, we were free to go and it was now about 11:45 pm.

PART THREE:   Called local police to do a report and the Farm Bureau to file a claim. My neighbor had already done most of the leg work for us with the police they just needed us to do the final inventory and to answer a few questions. The report number was emailed to our insurance agent. The next day, less than 24 hours my phone rang and the we were told our check was ready to be picked up. Already ordered a new infra-red and patio table set. We have also decided to change out the back door to a solid door with "nonbreakable" glass and add a couple cameras to the backyard. I already had a couple solar powered security lights for the area and this was just the motivation to make me stop procrastinating and get them up. The gate that we used to exit the backyard to the "range" ( what we call the six acres that we have not cleared) has been removed and replaced with matching privacy fence.

With no suspects or leads the local police think it was probably a few kids out of school for the summer. In the end we are glad no one was hurt and that they did not get inside the house.

Offline pz

Re: It started bad but it's getting better
« on: July 17, 2014, 02:19:26 AM »
That's awful news Vir.  We just installed monitored security before we left on this last vacation, but fortunately nothing happened.

About a couple of years ago a shady looking guy came up our driveway selling some kind of cleaning solution.  My naive wife let him into the house to test it on the carpet.  Although nothing happened this time, I too carry concealed almost wherever I go, even at home (not so concealed).

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 04:00:38 AM »
Wow, that stinks about the theft.  So glad to hear that you were able to protect yourself in a perfectly legal and sane manner, BTW. #constitution
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 04:05:57 AM »
Thank god your ok..and for CCW laws. I haven't had to use mine, but I have it just in case. A girl can't be too careful, guys too.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 07:05:14 AM »
Im glad youre OK,WOW!!!!

2 words - BIG DOGS!
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 08:15:51 AM »
That sucks about all the patio furniture and grills but at least they are being replaced by your insurance company.

But what was up with the guy at the gas station? Did he target you for a reason or just random?

Good thing you were able to defend yourself!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 08:32:00 AM »
Second WOW...     Sorry to hear about the grills and furniture but those can be replaced.  Thank God you had a gun to protect yourself or Lord knows what would have happen  ??? ??? ??? ??? 

Reason we should never give up our rights!!!!!!

Sorry I'll sit down now and thank the good Lord Y'all are OK
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 08:33:20 AM »
That is way too much excitement for a "vacation"......Glad it worked out o.k. for you tho.

Like muebe asked - what was with the guy at the gas station? Trying to rob you?
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline nylic76

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 09:13:28 AM »
Glad you are OK and the insurance company settled quickly.  In 2008, while away from home for 2 1/2 hours, someone broke into my house.  The only thing stolen was a 38 revolver from my nightstand drawer. An 18 year old kid was arrested, tried, and convicted, but of course, the gun was not recovered.  He got a 90 day sentence with probation and released for time served, since no one provided bail after his arrest.  Three years later, the sheriff's dept. contacted me and said my gun had just been recovered during a homicide investigation.  Was told that it would be returned after the trials of the six perps arrested for murder.  All have been tried and convicted and two days ago I spoke with the district attorney requesting my gun.  He says that it can't be returned until after all the appeals.  The week after the break-in I had a monitored alarm system installed.  Also replaced the gun and have a concealed carry permit.
SRG
Big Easy
Weber Kettle
Traeger Junior
Broilmaster Gas & GrillGrates
12" A-MAZE-N Smoker Tube

Offline Pappymn

It started bad but it's getting better
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 10:33:41 AM »
I kept waiting for the punch line that never came. What incredible stories. Glad you are safe. Stuff can always be replaced.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 12:06:45 PM »
I'm so glad you are all safe and that you had your weapon and were able to end the threat safely. I never leave home with out my 1911's one on me and one for easy access from the drivers seat after an incident in Dallas where a "gentleman" thought he was going to try and yank us out of our truck and was persuaded by the sight of my 1911 muzzle.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 12:44:36 PM »
Glad you are safe. Stuff can always be replaced.
X2!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Vir

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 02:56:36 PM »
I think I was just a random target. Then again he may have wanted a vehicle with a full tank of gas. My truck is not fancy, 06 F150, I don't think I look like an easy target even though I am almost as round as I am tall. As for what happened to the guy he went to jail. The investigator working the case took the surveillance tape that had attempted robbery recorded. Now I am just waiting to find out what date I have to go back to Concord for court. 

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 03:33:57 PM »
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 04:39:45 PM »
Dayum, glad that you're okay!  I've never had to pull mine, but always keep it handy.

When does the shopping trip start?

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC