Author Topic: The first time was wonderful  (Read 691 times)

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
The first time was wonderful
« Reply #-1 on: July 20, 2014, 09:55:13 AM »
I got that first brisket out of the way the other day and I have a question.  It was smoked at 230* for 5.5 hr, foiled with beef stock, and then into the oven at 240*.  It was 11 lbs. and total cook time was 9.5 hr.  I probed it at IT of 190* and it went into the point like butter but not the flat.  I removed it and let it rest an hour foiled.  The flavor was excellent; wifey says I can do that one again.  In my limited experience with brisket I would have called the point perfect, but the flat was a bit chewy, not as tender as I had hoped, not like Blacks or Killens.
Was it not done?  Should the flat probe like the point?  Please weigh in.
Thanks for looking.

Dean

"You will thank us for smoking."

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: The first time was wonderful
« on: July 20, 2014, 10:18:54 AM »
The point and the flat will not finish at the same time normally. The point is much more forgiving than the flat IMHO so I would concentrate on the flat probing to your liking.

Once the flat is done you can separate the point from the flat. Then chop it up into small cubes and place back in the smoker with some BBQ sauce for another hour or two to make some burnt ends.

Also if you setup a pan to catch the drippings they are great for adding back to the sliced brisket. Then bag with the juices in the fridge overnight and you will be amazed how dry brisket will turn out very moist and tender this way. They act like a sponge.

Looks great to me BTW :)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 10:56:11 AM »
I concur with Muebe.  If you collect the juices, defat them and then reduce them a bit, the intensity of the flavor will really make the sliced flat stand out.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 01:35:52 PM »
So is the case here that it didn't cook long enough?  Would the flat have probed like butter, like the point did, if I had cooked longer?

Thanks for the replies.  I did use the beef stock and drippings to package with the meat and we used it for dipping.  Having had brisket in Texas, I always want some in the freezer.

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 02:22:10 PM »
It was definitely not done.  Don't worry about when the point is done unless you are planning on making burnt ends or something (and putting the flat back in to finish).  When the flat probes VERY easily in the thickest spot, the brisket is done.  The point will still be fine when that happens if you let it finish cooking all together..
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 02:27:37 PM »
When I cook a whole brisket I smoke 6 -7 hours then pan.
When the point is done I separate then put flat back on to finish.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 02:53:31 PM »
Thanks, guys.  Can't wait to do the next one.  I will catch the drippings to put with the meat, remove the point when it probes well, make some burnt ends, and continue cooking the flat until it probes similarly.

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline RAD

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 03:28:30 PM »
Still looks great. I haven't done a packer in a long time. They have priced themselves out of my market.
Love to cook and eat

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 04:10:09 PM »
The point has plenty of fat in it to take the extra cooking time the flat requires to get tender. I have had good luck with a water pan under the briskie during the long slow cook.....................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 05:23:27 PM »
Good advice above but, as tasty as burnt ends may be (and I love them), don't forget that the point has other uses (e.g., great sandwiches and the best meat there is for chili).
Everyone is entitled to my opinion