Author Topic: Took a beginners to handgun class  (Read 5932 times)

Offline Pappymn

Took a beginners to handgun class
« Reply #-1 on: August 06, 2014, 10:26:53 AM »
The wife and I took a beginners to handgun course last night at a local gun shop.  2+ hours of learning about guns and cartridges (they aren't bullets). Followed by 1.5 hours on the shooting range.  We fired a 22 caliber Ruger, a 357 Smith & Wesson revolver, and a 9MM Glock. 

Neither of us have ever fired a handgun. I occasionally fire my 30-06 hunting rifle to scare deer away.  ???

We had a great time.  And truth be told, she is a better shot then me.  Her grouping was better  :o

We both agreed we didn't much care for the revolver, I had a hard time aiming that thing.  Really like the 9MM though.

We will be going again.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: Took a beginners to handgun class
« on: August 06, 2014, 10:34:12 AM »
Sounds like fun, most 9mm are great guns to shoot.  Now that y'all are hooked next will be the concealed carry class.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 10:38:37 AM »
That 357 has quite a kick don't it! Good idea to take a class Pappy. You don't want to be one of those guys shooting yourself in the foot while cleaning it ::)

My choice would be the Glock also. The only gun I currently have is the Winchester 12 gauge security model. It is the same model the police use. All black and a short barrel.

Used to keep it loaded at my old house. Now I just leave it unloaded in the case. My new neighborhood is much nicer ;)

I had to jump through hoops out here in California just to get a rifle. And getting a handgun is even tougher :(
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 10:48:04 AM »
My $0.02... I prefer either a .40 or a .45 for self defense concealed carry.  The whole point of a CC weapon is to put someone down (or at least convince them that you will) at very short range when in a life threatening situation.  The .45 is the ultimate stopping weapon IMO due to the caliber and also the slow rate of bullet travel.  The .40 loses the slower rate of travel effect but still is an improvement over the 9MM while only being marginally heavier and harder in recoil.  I really like the 10MM, but ammo is very expensive and hard to come by in a lot of areas.

Either way, good for you taking the class.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 12:43:40 PM »
2+ hours of learning about guns and cartridges (they aren't bullets).

Did they also teach that the spring loaded device that you put the cartridges in, on the semi-auto's, is called a magazine (they aren't clips).  ;)
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Pappymn

Took a beginners to handgun class
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 12:45:24 PM »

Did they also teach that the spring loaded device that you put the cartridges in, on the semi-auto's, is called a magazine (they aren't clips).  ;)

They sure did! ;D
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 12:52:41 PM »

They sure did! ;D

Then you took a good class.  ;D
----------------------

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 03:29:26 PM »
That 357 has quite a kick don't it! Good idea to take a class Pappy. You don't want to be one of those guys shooting yourself in the foot while cleaning it ::)

My choice would be the Glock also. The only gun I currently have is the Winchester 12 gauge security model. It is the same model the police use. All black and a short barrel.

Used to keep it loaded at my old house. Now I just leave it unloaded in the case. My new neighborhood is much nicer ;)

I had to jump through hoops out here in California just to get a rifle. And getting a handgun is even tougher :(
Thats the truth,that 22 ruger is a nice shooter,wife is dead-eye at the range,much better than me.We dont have pistols either,as muebe says....

Very good pappy. ;)
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Guido1964

• Cook it outdoors
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 03:55:34 PM »
I like the .357 Magnum as you can shoot the lighter recoiling .38 special for fun and the magnums for serious business.
Charbroil 940X
Charbroil Tabletop Gas Grill
Charbroil Vertical gas smoker
Charbroil SMK smoker box
Chargriller Wrangler
Piece of expanded steel for camp fire

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 04:32:16 PM »
Shot one of these (not sure which one) in the 1911
http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911

Man I so want one ;D

I also have the 30-06 Pappy ;)
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline RAD

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 05:59:52 PM »
I have several short guns and a couple long guns. I agree about the .40/.45 and my everyday carry is the Springfield sub .40 with a change up with the 357 (lighter). My wife once had the pink lady, but when the barrel blew off while I was shooting it I made her get a real run, glock, and she choose the .45 sub. A bit much for her I thought at first but she can shot a real tight group with it.

Something I found interesting was the kimber only makes 1911's, and I want one or two also.

You and your wife really need to get your CWP if only to protect yourselves moving the weapons. But always remember, if you don't have your permit with you, you don't have a permit.
Love to cook and eat

Offline Guido1964

• Cook it outdoors
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 06:04:38 PM »
RAD

Kimber  also makes some very fine rifles as well

Ruger is now making a very cost effective and durable 1911
Charbroil 940X
Charbroil Tabletop Gas Grill
Charbroil Vertical gas smoker
Charbroil SMK smoker box
Chargriller Wrangler
Piece of expanded steel for camp fire

Offline RAD

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 06:18:05 PM »
RAD

Kimber  also makes some very fine rifles as well

Ruger is now making a very cost effective and durable 1911
You are correct, I was referring to hand guns. Kimber makes fine guns all around.
Love to cook and eat

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 10:33:08 PM »
Pappy, Congratulations on taking the first step to personal security. I keep a Remington R1 full sized 1911 in the truck in a concealed holster behind the console and a Ruger Stainless Commander 1911 in a tuckable crossdraw as my everyday carry gun. Joy of living in Texas with a CHL, I never leave home with out both and if I'm talking to an officer their only interested in how I like my holster and pistol combo. Most important thing for a new handgunner is to use what is safe and fit's your needs, I love my .45 ACP for the stopping power, but with the right ammo a 9mm can be very effective.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 12:32:30 AM »
Shot one of these (not sure which one) in the 1911
http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911

Man I so want one ;D

Here's mine: Kimber Ultra+ CDP - Tritium 3 dot night sights, match grade barrel, premium match grade trigger, rosewood checkered double diamond grips, one sweet gun to carry concealed and shoot.
----------------------