Author Topic: Took a beginners to handgun class  (Read 5933 times)

Offline Pappymn

Took a beginners to handgun class
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2014, 08:26:23 PM »
Great comments Muebe.

In Minnesota they passed something a couple of years ago that basically had all businesses and government buildings post signs on their front door saying guns are not allowed on the premises.

The only people this pleased were sign making businesses and criminals.

Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Re: Took a beginners to handgun class
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2014, 10:33:41 PM »
I respect anyones decision on whether to carry,or own,a weapon. I hope if I get stuck in a bad situation a CCW person is on site.

2 RNs here so another thats very pro life by nature,and if it was them or me gonna die,I would would prefer it be the criminal,wouldnt want to kill,but if I HAD to,no other way out I would have to.

That said,we believe more in non lethal approaches that can be ratcheted up if needed.Starts with lights, fences and big dogs,goes up from there,that alone takes care of most of my threats

Pepper spray and a stun gun can really diffuse a hothead/bully type really fast,certainly a quick attitude change and reassessment of situation on their part.A truly bad guy,not so much.

CCW isnt possible where I live,just getting a handgun now is VERY difficult here.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2014, 11:02:58 PM »
Muebe, I'm glad you posted about the "Wild West".  It was much safer than TV and the movies make it.  From what I understand there is only one documented case of a "quick draw" shoot out at "high noon". It's amazing how the media can spread ignorance. It's not a new thing either because I grew up thinking it was as in the movies since we heard no different.

There was no such thing as "fair" fights.  It's like someone said, "If you find yourself in a fair fight....you didn't plan properly."

From what I remember there were over 2 million cases of people using pistols, rifles, and shotguns to protect themselves last year.  And I think the number of illegal use of guns was around 25,000.  The numbers may not be exact but the multiples are pretty close.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline RAD

« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2014, 07:07:58 PM »
1. During the first fifteen years that the Florida law was in effect, alligator attacks outpaced the number of crimes committed by carry holders by a 229 to 155 margin.

2. And even the 155 "crimes" committed by concealed carry permit holders are somewhat misleading as most of these infractions resulted from Floridians who accidentally carried their firearms into restricted areas, such as an airport

https://www.gunowners.org/sk0802htm.htm
Love to cook and eat

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2014, 10:31:56 PM »
There are many stories of armed citizens thwarting a criminal during a robbery and saving lives. Unfortunately these stories are not newsworthy and get pushed to the back page or not even talked about.

No matter your opinion on this subject it is important to know the truth about the statistics from both sides to make an educated decision. Some great information has been provided in this thread.

2012 FBI statistics (most recent data available)—

● Number of murders in US:  14,827 (link, 2012 FBI Uniform Crime Reports, Table 7)

● Percent committed with firearms:  69.3% (link, 2012 FBI Uniform Crime Reports, Expanded Homicide Data Table 7)

● Number of murders committed with firearms:  10, 275 (calculated by author)

● Firearms prevent anywhere from 800,000 to over 2 million violent crimes every year (link, Cato Institute, Tough Targets: When Criminals Face Armed Resistance from Citizens)

● Preventable medical errors (malpractice) kill between 210,000 and 400,000 people a year (link, Journal of Patient Safety: A New, Evidence-based Estimate of Patient Harms Associated with Hospital Care)

● There are 79,000 annual US deaths attributable to excessive alcohol use (link, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Alcohol and Public Health)

● There are 480,000 annual US deaths attributable to cigarette smoking (link, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Cigarettes and Death)

Draw your own conclusions as to where the public attention should focus.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2014, 10:56:32 PM »
Glock—

Are any of you Glock owners concerned about the number of unintended discharges because of the Glock trigger/safety arrangement?  Glock devotees will say, "That's the fault of the gun handler."  Sure it is, but it won't happen with conventional safeties.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2014, 11:16:13 PM »
Well done Paul.  Well done.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2014, 11:30:59 AM »
It really hit me when I read something about wolves, sheep, and sheepdogs. 

Like someone previously posted, when I was  younger, I was much closer to the wolf than I am now.  As I got older, matured, raised a family, etc. I always thought of myself as their protector.

I guess that makes me the sheepdog. 

And like the originator of the phrase, I am not using sheep in any sort of a pejorative way but simply to refer to most people who are kind, gentle, and caring by nature.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2014, 08:29:32 PM »
I am not using sheep in any sort of a pejorative way

================================

What you talkin about Willis!?

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 08:34:42 PM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.