Author Topic: Dumb and dumber...  (Read 1180 times)

Offline pz

Dumb and dumber...
« Reply #-1 on: August 12, 2014, 12:12:19 AM »
... a story of misadventure on the Oregon coast.

My wife and I were visiting with Smoker Pete and his wife, and on the last day we decided to follow Pete to the point to watch him casting for salmon.  Huge rocks piled up formed the base of the jetty - because Cheri has a bit of a balance issue, she leaned forward while climbing down to the waters edge, and of course, her iPhone was in her shirt pocket (funny how slick those phones are).

It doesn't take too much of an imagination to envision what happened - yep - the phone fell down between these huge boulders, far enough so we couldn't see it. Pete's wife came back with a flashlight and low and behold, Cheri saw it!  ... and only 4-5 feet down a slot about 6 inches by 18 inches or so!  So near and yet so far, I muttered that the phone was lost.

Cheri wanted me to check anyway and down I go, but the bill of my visor was in the way so I reversed it, forgetting that I had my sunglasses perched atop!  Down they go, right next to the phone  ;D

Now we were looking at not one, but two monumental mistakes - I sure did feel stupid, but everyone else thought it quite amusing  8)

Between casts, Pete shouted up to use duct tape - great idea!  Another of our companions just happened to have duct tape and a 4-foot pole in his truck - we wadded up the duct tape, stuck it to the end, and managed to easily fetch up my glasses.  Then another larger wad of tape and the phone came up!

Gazing longingly at an iPhone and my favorite sunglasses.  We first tried the broom handle, but it was too slick.

Pulling off a long strip of duct tape

Success!  Call it fools luck, but we managed not only to retrieve the phone and glasses, but neither was damaged other than a scratch in the phone's case!

I have to thank Pete's wife for sending me these pictures (she took them on her phone).  Funny thing is that her photos are usually so sharp and clear while these were a little fuzzy.  Maybe the fact that she was laughing contributed to the slight lack of focus.  ;D

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Re: Dumb and dumber...
« on: August 12, 2014, 12:24:55 AM »
That duct tape is one of man's greatest invention.  That and WD-40 can fix whatever you need fixin'---even if you broke it.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 12:31:22 AM »
Ha too funny pz :D

Great story!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 01:12:13 AM »
Funny story and pics!!! I bet Cheri felt a little better after the sunglasses went!!!  ::) Son
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 01:16:10 AM »

A Kodak moment ... I thought for sure that it was a lost cause but my wife never doubted that the phone would be retrieved ...  Too bad I didn't have as much success with the salmon!  ;D
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 04:43:27 AM »
Awesome!  :D
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 05:50:02 AM »
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 08:02:07 AM »
Funny!!  It is amazing how "things" can snowball on you sometimes.  Glad it worked out in your favor.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 09:15:16 AM »
That duct tape is one of man's greatest invention.  That and WD-40 can fix whatever you need fixin'---even if you broke it.  Dee

Duct tape and WD-40 don't leave home without it.   ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 09:25:10 AM »
Thats funny for sure. Great save on both items

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 11:04:30 AM »
Great story, pz!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 12:08:27 PM »
That is too funny!  Good job on getting them back-- that was a stroke of genius with the tape! 
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline aliengriller

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 05:33:19 PM »
The way I heard it was:  Does it move and shouldn't?  Duct tape to the rescue.   Should it move and doesn't?   Here's where the WD-40 works!    Amazing how easy it is to fix anything that way!   (Don't we all wish?)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 05:56:41 PM »
I think Col Dee should come up with a medal, and make PZ and Smokin' Peter honorary Red-Necks.....

Based on the evidence - their instinctive and stalwart use of Southern Engineering techniques in the reconnaissance and retrieval of lost and possibly injured items... ;) :D 8)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 07:37:43 PM »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.