Author Topic: What was the best concert you have ever been to?  (Read 5205 times)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: What was the best concert you have ever been to?
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 05:53:08 AM »
That is a rough one.  Maybe Iron Maiden on the Seventh Son tour with Queensrÿche as the opening band.  ...or The Ramones with Jane's Addiction (before making it big) as the opener at a very small venue that took SRO to another level.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Sandman

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 06:46:35 AM »
Queensryche opened for metallica. They topped metallica big time. Best sounding concert I have ever heard.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 07:48:46 AM »
Queensryche opened for metallica. They topped metallica big time. Best sounding concert I have ever heard.

Was that right after Operation: Mindcrime was released?  I think I saw them on that tour.  Maybe it was right before Operation was put out.  Funny... I do not like Tate's voice on the studio stuff, but he is fantastic live.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2014, 08:04:34 AM »
My best concerts were the Jamboree in the Hills outside of Wheeling WV and St. Clairsville Ohio. I saw everyone in '84, '85, '86 & '87.  All country music. Best show, and I was so surprised was Glen Cambell. You should hear Lee Greenwood open concert with "God Bless the USA" in person, me and 75,000 of my closest friends had the cringies hearing and singing to this.  Pam 
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2014, 08:08:55 AM »
Paul McCartney on his last tour has to be one of the best I have seen, Rush, Black Sabbath and the Ramones up close in a smaller club venue top my list.
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline happyappy

• Go Apps!
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2014, 08:36:21 AM »
My favorite concert is a tough call, but there's no question my favorite venue was PB Scott's in Blowing Rock, NC.  A small club built in a geodesic dome with an awesome sound system that attracted great bands.  It was closed in the mid 80's due to ABC laws...but while it was open it rocked. 

While in college at Appalachian State, I saw BB King, Emmy Lou Harris, Arlo Guthrie, Greg Allman, Molly Hatchet, the Dixie Dregs, The Spongetones, Delbert McClinton, Doc Watson, and Mike Cross as well as many less known bands I've forgotten.  If pushed to name a favorite, I'd say BB King.  I can still see his piano player literally rocking an old stand-up piano while BB made Lucille sing.

That was a special place for a lot of people.  Dang I miss it!
Camp Chef Pellet Grill
BEESR
Cook Air Grill
Weber Genesis
Barrel House Cooker

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2014, 09:02:34 AM »
My favorite concert is a tough call, but there's no question my favorite venue was PB Scott's in Blowing Rock, NC.  A small club built in a geodesic dome with an awesome sound system that attracted great bands.  It was closed in the mid 80's due to ABC laws...but while it was open it rocked. 

While in college at Appalachian State, I saw BB King, Emmy Lou Harris, Arlo Guthrie, Greg Allman, Molly Hatchet, the Dixie Dregs, The Spongetones, Delbert McClinton, Doc Watson, and Mike Cross as well as many less known bands I've forgotten.  If pushed to name a favorite, I'd say BB King.  I can still see his piano player literally rocking an old stand-up piano while BB made Lucille sing.

That was a special place for a lot of people.  Dang I miss it!

Funny thing you should mention BB King.  I mentioned a Ramones show earlier.  I saw that show within a couple of months of seeing BB King at the same venue ('87 for King and '88 for Ramones I think), the Syria Mosque Ballroom in Pittsburgh.  It was amazing how the place transformed.  The Ramones show was a violent SRO pile of sweat, while the BB King show was table seating with a big rib pit set up in the middle of the floor.  :D The more I think about it, that BB King show is definitely in my favorites list.

Offline hikerman

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2014, 11:16:44 AM »
I have seen a lot of concerts/shows thru the years from Stones to Genesis to Marshall Tucker to Jeff Beck.....
But without a doubt the act that can work a crowd like no other, (you Texas boys should know this) is Joe Ely!
Have seen him many, many times and it's ALWAYS a top-shelf show!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2014, 11:25:52 AM »
We saw Linda Ronstadt back in 1982. She was doing 7 nights at the Universal Amphitheatre. We caught show -2-. Joe Ely opened and we liked him so much we went back for -2- more of the concerts.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2014, 11:55:51 AM »
I have seen a lot of concerts/shows thru the years from Stones to Genesis to Marshall Tucker to Jeff Beck.....
But without a doubt the act that can work a crowd like no other, (you Texas boys should know this) is Joe Ely!

I am a huge Robert Earl Keen fan, and Joe's version of Road Goes on Forever is very good.

Offline RAD

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2014, 12:36:14 PM »
I have been to a lot of rock concerts when I was younger, Ozzy Osbourne, Journeys, Metallica (I think, but would go today if given the opportunity) and others I don’t really remember. As I got older I’ve seen Elton John, Jimmy Buffett which both put on great shows. Sheryl Crow, Crosby Stills Nash and as my daughter was getting in to concerts I would tag along, disturbed, 3Doors down, flyleaf, system of a down, korn, etc… and of all of the shows I’ve seen I would have to say that it is a close tie with Disturbed and 3Doors Down.
Love to cook and eat

Offline hikerman

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2014, 01:20:00 PM »

I am a huge Robert Earl Keen fan, and Joe's version of Road Goes on Forever is very good.

SB, Joe's version is the best. Thru the years got to be friends with his late guitar player Jesse Taylor. We'd hook up for a few beers whenever they were in the Chicagoland area.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2014, 01:31:09 PM »

We might have to agree to disagree if you are saying it is better than REK's.  ;D
SB, Joe's version is the best. Thru the years got to be friends with his late guitar player Jesse Taylor. We'd hook up for a few beers whenever they were in the Chicagoland area.

Offline hikerman

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2014, 01:59:42 PM »
SB I respectfully agree to disagree but in saying that....that's a helluva song!

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2014, 02:38:12 PM »
Seen lots of concerts, but my most memorable one was my first Neil Young. He had a country girl opening act that everyone sat quietly for, but as soon as he came out, 24,000 lighters lit up at once and the smell just drifted across the Air Canada Centre.
Thought I was at a Willie Nelson bash.
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred