Author Topic: Concerts  (Read 461 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Concerts
« Reply #-1 on: August 20, 2014, 05:30:09 PM »
All the talk about first and best concerts made me think of a couple of questions:
  • Have you ever "stumbled" on a great act in an unlikely place?
  • What's the concert you really want or wanted to see but haven't yet?
I was very lucky twice. Once back in 1974, my girlfriend and I were hitch hiking across Canada. In Winnipeg we stopped in a bar and Chaka Khan was on the stage - I didn't even know who she was then! Many years later I was in Santiago, Chile - another small bar, Sting was playing just for fun - just him in Spanish and Portuguese, and an acoustic guitar... what a night!

The one I really want to see is Leonard Cohen. I've seen the DVD of his London tour - he just gets better with age.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline hikerman

Re: Concerts
« on: August 20, 2014, 07:58:22 PM »
Many years ago, I believe 1978, a few friends and I headed to Chicago to see a twi-night double header, White Sox vs David's dreaded Yankees (lol). After the games we went looking for a bar to have a few more soda pops in. We stumbled into this run-down-looking club and there was live music going on. It sounded remarkably good, and after awhile we asked who it was that sounded so good. The bartender told us, boys that is the great Muddy Waters Band! I about fell down! In blues at the time, he was the man! We even got to chat a bit between sets.

I like David's choice on who we'd like to see. Leonard Cohen is top shelf! But one i've wanted to see for a long, long time but haven't is Tom Waits. Always enjoyed his obscure take on life!

Oh one more act I gotta see is the inimitable Junior Brown!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 08:22:42 PM by hikerman »

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 10:31:18 PM »
Gene,

Love the blues and Muddy Waters was king. That had to be a treat!

I have all of Tom Waits' albums. I like his earlier stuff the best (The Piano Has been Drinking, Small Change, Ol' 55, ... etc.) I got to see him live in MPLS many years ago - just him for the most part, occasionally one or two players. Oh man that was a wonderful concert!

Kind of funny - I don't run into a lot of Leonard Cohen / Tom Waits fans. And to find one on a BBQ forum of all places.... ;D ;D ;D
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 11:35:12 PM »
Just found this and have to add it to my concert wish list -

Sir Elton John's thoughts about 2cellos -

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 11:47:18 PM by drholly »
Member #

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 01:49:14 AM »
i have always wanted to see Pink Floyd live.  real bad.  when they were playing live aid in Europe I wanted to go but my wife said no.   >:(  one of the best visual concerts I have seen was Robin Trower.  huge screen just showing his fingers.  it was fantastic.  Peter Frampton concert was very loud and one of the funniest concerts I have ever been.  I don't have to explain it to ya do I?   ::)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 01:50:10 AM »
oh yeah - Pink Floyd has to be on the list!
Member #

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 05:21:07 AM »
1- Warren Zevon at a tiny little venue in the Pittsburgh strip district called Rosebud in '99 (Rosebud has been closed for about 10 years now).
2- I would have liked to see the Pogues get back together before Phil Chevron died.  Who would have thought that Shane MacGowan would outlive anyone else in the band?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 02:05:48 PM by sliding_billy »
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS