Author Topic: Who runs Linux? And which one do you suggest for someone just getting into it?  (Read 732 times)

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
I was looking at Linux Mint Debian. How about Fedora on a live bootable? Mint seems to be the flavor most prefer?
Open for suggestions as I am just  trying to de-mystify linux for me.

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
You might look into Ubuntu at http://www.ubuntu.com/ 

It's Fast, free and incredibly easy to use, the Ubuntu operating system powers millions of desktop PCs, laptops and servers around the world.

When I was a sys admin a few years back I played with Ubuntu and it's real easy to use, etc and a good way to become proficient with Linux.  Enjoy the simplicity of Ubuntu's intuitive interface. Fast, secure and with thousands of apps to choose from, the sleek Ubuntu desktop experience is now optimised for multitouch devices, including laptop trackpads and touchscreens, as well as the familiar keyboard and mouse.

Hope this helps  :)
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline grossie

I agree with Pete, try Ubuntu. It's every bit as easy as Windows to install and almost as easy to keep updated.

A couple of good options would be creating a bootable USB version: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows or my favorite, run a virtual inside of Windows to try it out. You could use either vmware player or virtualbox. I chose virtualbox (https://www.virtualbox.org/) at work and at home. Virtualbox will also let you play around with multiple distributions, to make sure you find the one you like.

Grossie
PBC
Cabela's Ultimate Cookstation
Pizza oven for above
TBE
BEESR

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Also running Ubuntu.It loads really easily and comes standard with a lot of programs that get you up to speed right out of the box.Im running 12-04 on one,and 14-04 on the other,may as well get 14-04,according to BIL its going to be supported for 5 years.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline pz

It's Fast, free and incredibly easy to use, the Ubuntu operating system powers millions of desktop PCs, laptops and servers around the world.

When I was a sys admin a few years back I played with Ubuntu and it's real easy to use, etc and a good way to become proficient with Linux.  Enjoy the simplicity of Ubuntu's intuitive interface. Fast, secure and with thousands of apps to choose from, the sleek Ubuntu desktop experience is now optimised for multitouch devices, including laptop trackpads and touchscreens, as well as the familiar keyboard and mouse.

X2 I set up a Ubuntu box on an old pc that had problems running XP due to it being so old. No issues at all with Ubuntu.

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
Thanks for the suggestions.
This old Toshiba laptop was running real slow with win 7 and i really didn't want to go back to XP since its not supported any more.
Right now I am running Xubuntu 14.04.1 LTS.
Some things seem faster and others there is no real improvement. The Xubuntu was recommended for older slow computers so I thought I would give a shot. It might run even faster if I installed it instead of running it off a USB drive.
Having fun with it anyways.

Offline TwoPockets

Sounds like what I need for my older laptop that is running XP. I was going to blow everything off it and put on Windows 8 but this might be better. It will only be used for traveling.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Ubuntu is what I run when I need it.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline spuds

I put a solid state hard drive into my older HP along with Ubuntu,Its like a new machine,in some areas its faster than the wifes almost new Toshiba.The SSD is an incredible upgrade to breathe new life into an older machine.Putting in a Linux system it boots three times faster than my much more powerful desktop with WinXP,and it shuts down in a a matter of a few seconds.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline spuds

Smoke,why dont you wipe/format the HD on the Toshiba and load up the linux.You sound comfortable using it and IMO its a lot faster on the machine than thru the USB.

I started using the dual boot originally and microsoft just wouldnt play nice with it,soured me on linux.....until I did a straight linux install,now Im a flag waver for linux.

Give it a shot,I think you'll love thumbing your nose at Gates crappy new products,and not being robbed to use it,and having a safer,cheaper,faster,customizable machine,you just have to love it.Windows is just total bloat-ware now,slower than molasses in winter.

I cant imagine ever going back to Microsoft after running Linux,its that much better IMO.Or ever buying a new machine with Microsoft on it.

Offline tekn50

• tekn50
I ran Mint for awhile, its fast and easy.  I also used Unbuntu on an old lap top. Worked pretty good, dont forget Open Office.
Dave
Weber Kettle x1 now
PBC
Traeger Jr. Elite