Author Topic: Appreciation and thank you  (Read 741 times)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Appreciation and thank you
« Reply #-1 on: September 08, 2014, 02:09:33 PM »
As I get older I sometimes find myself looking back over my life and thinking about the people who had positive impact on my life.  People like Mrs. Dunham, my seventh grade teacher, who influenced me so much and increased my desire to be the best I could.  People like a fellow who was in the Boy Scouts with me and was two years ahead of me in high school who got me involved as a freshman in numerous extracurricular activities which over the high school years allowed me to develop leadership skills.

The thing is I never told these and some other people how much an impact they had on me and without what they did for me allowed me to become successful later in life.  Sadly, it's now too late to thank them because they have passed on.

So, my point in this is to ask you to look back over your life and recall those very special people who put you on a positive track of reinforced the positive track you were on and call, see them in person, or write them a handwritten note in a card or a letter telling them how much they did for you and how you appreciate them.

If Mrs. Dunham were alive I would drive to Savannah from Augusta just to tell  her that and take her to a fancy restaurant just as a small token of what she did for me.

Hopefully, this will result in y'all doing what I failed to do.

Dee
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 04:09:00 PM by deestafford »
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Re: Appreciation an and thank you
« on: September 08, 2014, 03:45:00 PM »
Agree,saying thank you goes a long way.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
Re: Appreciation and thank you
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 04:14:33 PM »
Dee, Id bet you made a positive influence on a lot of people in your life. I know you still do...
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 04:32:08 PM »
Dee, Id bet you made a positive influence on a lot of people in your life. I know you still do...

Agreed
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 04:45:01 PM »
I went back to my High School to get my records for College,they were shocked  :o to hear I was going on,made their day  :D  because nobody from Continuation goes to college.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 05:09:33 PM »

Agreed

Amen!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 06:02:53 PM »
I was lucky enough to have several positive influences on my life (and still do). The first and probably most influential was Mrs. Love, my second grade teacher. She took a shy, introverted child who had absolutely no idea of self worth or potential and showed me that I could do or be anything I worked hard enough to do. It was like she unlocked my mind and from there it just overflowed. When I got married many years later I got a package from her that was a very nice cut crystal knife holder (I had to ask my wife what good was a little glass dumbbell). I am not sure how she knew I was getting married or how to send a present to me. There was a card inside that congratulated us and said I was always one of her special students and that she had kept up with me through family and was proud of how I had turned out. I think that was one of the proudest days of my life. I am sure she touched many other lives as much.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 06:40:49 PM »
I can truly appreciate what you're saying here, Dee.

I feel very fortunate that in recent years I've had the opportunity to say "Thank you," to some of these people and let them know that they indeed did have a positive influence in my life. 

These folks all hold a very special place in my heart, and I thank God for placing them in my life.

Thanks for the great thread, Dee!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 07:04:15 PM »

Agreed

Amen!

+1 !! Agree so very much!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 07:06:42 PM »
Dee-  you are such a mensch ;)!

I hope that we can all follow your advice - and with one addition: to remember the best way to honor those that have impacted us...is to "pay it forward" - and try to make a difference in someone else's life.

Not by "preaching" to them what they should do...but to be there - and offer a hand when someone needs, or just be available - and willing to listen. Amazing what yuo learn about yourself - while learning about others, and maybe even advising when asked.....

It isn't always natural - because we are all so busy, just getting thru our day. I try to remember the credo: I am 4th  God, family, others, then me. It helps my perspective - and prevents any possibility of self woe or self-pity. :)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401