Author Topic: Starting small with Cast Iron  (Read 8457 times)

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

Re: Starting small with Cast Iron
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 02:51:02 PM »
SmokinKat....Check out the flea markets and antique stores for an older cast iron. Look for American made on the bottom. Then look up how to strip and season them.

Fred
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 03:23:52 PM »
Once you get the hang of cooking with CI you'll be addicted to it and there is no 12 step recovery program for CI addiction either so be careful.  :P

Yes there is a 12 step recovery program.....Get 12 more cast Iron pans. Works every time.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 04:32:57 PM »
SmokinKat....Check out the flea markets and antique stores for an older cast iron. Look for American made on the bottom. Then look up how to strip and season them.

Fred
Great advice,just set them on a flat surface to make sure they arent warped.Cant go wrong with new Lodge either,hope they havent gone Chinese.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline nylic76

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2014, 05:29:27 PM »
Saw some Lodge CI pans at Cracker Barrel a few days ago.   Didn't look to see where they were made.
SRG
Big Easy
Weber Kettle
Traeger Junior
Broilmaster Gas & GrillGrates
12" A-MAZE-N Smoker Tube

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2014, 06:25:21 PM »
Great pointers, everyone!!    I'm actually going to return that particular set--  pz checked out the brand, and alerted me to the fact they're made in China, and have had some very negative reviews on a few sites!   I only did a cursory glance through when I bought them on Amazon, and hadn't noticed any comments on where they were manufactured-- but sure enough, it does say on the label that they're made in China.   Might drop Amazon a note that they might include that in the item description just for clarity. 

Figure I'll use the $30 to get one medium sized one domestically made and not risk it.  No sense in cooking all sorts of farm raised foods in it if there's a chance it'll be leaching something other than just iron into the foods.

So a little delay on the inaugural cook-- but we've been enjoying the coconut oil already!   James fried up some plain green tomatoes in the coconut oil last night and was just over the moon in love with them.  :)

Look into Lodge, made in the USA
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2014, 06:31:11 PM »
I agree with the Lodge advice, a little more $$ but well worth it.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2014, 06:31:25 PM »
Bare Lodge cast iron is still made in South Pittsburg, Tennessee.
However, their enameled cookware is made in China.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2014, 06:51:17 PM »
From the Lodge FAQ website about their <a href="http://www.lodgemfg.com/FAQRetrieve.aspx?ID=63665&Q=">Lodge Enameled Cast Iron</a>
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2014, 07:44:05 PM »
Kat..save the enameled for your tomato based cookings. Too many tomatoes in regular cast iron taste bad, specially if it sits for just a lil while. Don't wash with soap, hot water and a brush and you're good to go for the rest of your life.  Good luck.  And use the coconut oil on the pan, I do it all the times. Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2014, 09:01:27 PM »
I have been to the Lodge outlet at the factory.  Drove 110  miles round trip out of the way.  Tremendous selection of all kinds of things.  Don't expect outlet prices though.  They are either retail or close.  If you have an Academy Sports close by, they have a good selection of CI.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2014, 05:29:29 PM »
Sweet!   Ditched the China made stuff (actually going to keep them to use as decor in the barn!), and James bought me a 10 1/2" Lodge skillet.  (He is a huge enabler when it comes to cooking related items, so I might be hitting him up for a larger pan too before too long!!)  :)     Everyone knows that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach... but turns out it happens to be the way into his wallet as well!   ;) 

Did a coconut oil seasoning a couple of days ago, and today made up my first cast iron meal!   

Used some bacon grease to saute the onions for a bit, then put in a patty seasoned with WOW and a sprinkle of Slap Ya Mama.   (The greenish areas are just WOW. )  :) 

Boy oh boy was that a tasty burger! 

I didn't have much time left after lunch, so I just left the burger grease in the pan to cool and I'll wipe it all down tonight after work.  Can't wait to try more in this-- on the stove top and the grill! 

Thanks for all the tips and help, everyone!  :) 

MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline catinatree

• Boulder, Colorado
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2014, 07:01:57 PM »
Great advice has been given, here's a little something I've found useful for some of my oldest, and most abused iron;

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/
GMG Daniel Boone
Southwest Discada 24" Rio Grande
Discada tri-pod burner
PolyScience Sous Vide

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2014, 08:09:30 PM »
Kat.....That looks great, you cook like a seasoned veteran in that new CI, nicely done. And I like the bottle of Tabasco in the background.  ;)
----------------------

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2014, 02:48:36 AM »
You did good there Kat, nice burger!!! I think the more you use cast iron the more you will like it. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2014, 07:21:29 AM »
Great pointers, everyone!!    I'm actually going to return that particular set--  pz checked out the brand, and alerted me to the fact they're made in China, and have had some very negative reviews on a few sites!   I only did a cursory glance through when I bought them on Amazon, and hadn't noticed any comments on where they were manufactured-- but sure enough, it does say on the label that they're made in China.   Might drop Amazon a note that they might include that in the item description just for clarity. 

Figure I'll use the $30 to get one medium sized one domestically made and not risk it.  No sense in cooking all sorts of farm raised foods in it if there's a chance it'll be leaching something other than just iron into the foods.

So a little delay on the inaugural cook-- but we've been enjoying the coconut oil already!   James fried up some plain green tomatoes in the coconut oil last night and was just over the moon in love with them.  :)

Look into Lodge, made in the USA

Just to add a note, when you are looking at cast iron at flea markets or yard sales, the iron marked "USA" on the bottom is almost always Lodge. They did not start putting the Lodge name on the cast iron until the '90s. Most of the old Lodge will also be finer cast than the newer iron.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware