Author Topic: Starting small with Cast Iron  (Read 8458 times)

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
Re: Starting small with Cast Iron
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2014, 11:56:56 AM »
That's a great little tip, TwoPockets!   

I had no idea there were so many cast iron connoisseurs!  :)    I've learned a TON this week! 
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2014, 04:47:32 PM »
Its like potato chips,cant stop at just one.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2014, 07:16:43 PM »
Its like potato chips,cant stop at just one.

I can see it now: Lay's Cast Iron Cookware.  :P
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2014, 12:06:51 PM »
To season the cast iron should I use Cirsco, veg oil, or can I use bacon dripping.  I was reading a lot about flax-seed oil, but it has high contents of estrogen and I am not buying an expensive bottle of oil just to season cast iron and let the rest go to waste.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline pz

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2014, 11:40:46 PM »
I started seasoning my cast iron by frying bacon, and then used everything from olive oil to grape seed oil.  My personal experience is that the oil itself doesn't matter that much, but that the oil bonding with the metal provides that smooth, slick surface.

When bargain shopping at garage sales or flea markets, Griswold is another old USA brand that is quite excellent in many of their runs.  However, it is best to do a Google search to be sure you are collecting the best versions.

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2014, 03:46:52 AM »
I started seasoning my cast iron by frying bacon, and then used everything from olive oil to grape seed oil.  My personal experience is that the oil itself doesn't matter that much, but that the oil bonding with the metal provides that smooth, slick surface.

When bargain shopping at garage sales or flea markets, Griswold is another old USA brand that is quite excellent in many of their runs.  However, it is best to do a Google search to be sure you are collecting the best versions.

Thanks, I have a couple lodges due to arrive today and tomorrow, and a good amount of bacon fat.  I figured I would season it with the fat then just good high fatty meat (burgers, bacon, sausage) the first couple go arounds before using it for anything else.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759