Author Topic: iPad Air 2  (Read 905 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
iPad Air 2
« Reply #-1 on: October 26, 2014, 09:54:22 PM »
Just traded in my iPad 2 64GB today for a iPad Air 2 64GB. Best Buy gave me $200 for the trade-in. Also got 18 months same-as-cash. Not too shabby. Might have been able to get a little more selling it on eBay but not much.

Ever since Apple moved to iOS 8 the performance dropped dramatically. And it would lock up sometimes when typing. Also many of the new games and apps utilize the newer graphics processor and some will not even run on the iPad 2 so the upgrade was kind of forced. I got a good run out of her ;)

The new iPad Air 2 is extremely thin. Almost half as thick as my old one. And much lighter too!

The new display is really impressive. Even the posted photos on the forum really seem to "pop" out of the screen.

And now there is absolutely no lag. Very quick and peppy. The way my old iPad was during earlier OS generations.

I tried a couple games and the graphics are amazing. Right up there with Xbox 360 or PS3.

So going from a 2nd generation iPad to this is very impressive!

There are a ton of features on this thing that I probably will not end up using ::)

I have a feeling this is the last version of the iOS that will still be compatible with the iPad 2. Once that happens then the apps you can use will become fewer and fewer so if you have a iPad 2 now might be the time to take advantage of the Best Buy upgrade offer.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Pappymn

iPad Air 2
« on: October 26, 2014, 10:13:30 PM »
We are in the same boat boss. I have an iPad 2 as well. Gotta have the 64 GB. The 16 I currently have has been the biggest pain in the butt. 16 is a joke that has to end.

I really want what you got. Especially with the now supported AC wireless standard. Apple never leads on specs....which I think they could.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: iPad Air 2
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 05:35:16 PM »
And here I am still posting from my iPad Gen1 I got back in June of 2010.  :P
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline pz

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 06:50:42 PM »
My wife is using an old school iPad and did the upgrade to OS-8.  Big mistake because she never could get it to work right.  Thankfully we were able to downgrade back to OS-7.

Got her a Surface Pro 3 at Best Buy a month or so ago, and liked it so much, got one for myself.  If I had to get rid of all my hardware except one thing, I would keep the Surface - best computer I have ever owned (even though it is a **gag** Microsoft product  ;D ).

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 10:27:52 PM »
I don't know what I have for a pad but I know I don't like the up grade.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 10:52:48 PM »
iOS 8 works great on the new iPad 2 Air. But it was very sluggish on the iPad 2. I don't know if it is because the new iOS requires more ram or if Apple just decided to slow down the older generation iPads.

The new iPad Air 2 has 2GB of ram and a new faster processor. It runs everything much faster than my old one.

As far as tablets go I am strictly an Apple guy. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and although nice the Apple iPad is a better tablet IMHO.

Don't know about the surface pro 3. I hear they are nice and run Windows 8. But aren't they just a covertable laptop basically? I have a laptop to use when I need to although the tablet does nearly everything I need to do ;)
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 10:53:25 PM »
Tore the cover off, I have a
   iPad (4th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular   Late 2012   A1459

Not that old to be having issues :(
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 11:11:45 PM »
Tore the cover off, I have a
   iPad (4th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular   Late 2012   A1459

Not that old to be having issues :(

Well that sucks.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline pz

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 12:20:39 AM »
... But aren't they just a covertable laptop basically?...

I thought so too before I used my wife's.  I use(d) a Samsung Tab-2, but the Surface does the same - just as thin but with a 12-inch instead of a 10-inch screen.  Still all the same features you'd expect on a tablet - pinch/pull, finger controls, etc.  The added benefit is that you can attach the magnetic keyboard if you want one, and use the extremely precise pen - or you can use it without anything in which case it looks just like a tablet.  In the morning, we sit in bed, and I attach the keyboard and perch it on my knee (infinitely positionable kickstand) and use the keyboard to do email, forum posts, etc, something that is painful on my Samsung.  At work I use it for OneNote and other Office applications - basically this unit does everything from tablet to full PC

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 11:25:32 PM »
My wife is using an old school iPad and did the upgrade to OS-8.  Big mistake because she never could get it to work right.  Thankfully we were able to downgrade back to OS-7.

Got her a Surface Pro 3 at Best Buy a month or so ago, and liked it so much, got one for myself.  If I had to get rid of all my hardware except one thing, I would keep the Surface - best computer I have ever owned (even though it is a **gag** Microsoft product  ;D ).

I had to ditch my Ipad3 when it would not support my company's Java based sites. I have a Surface Pro 3 and it does what is supposed to do. No complaints at all.
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 11:45:39 PM »

I had to ditch my Ipad3 when it would not support my company's Java based sites. I have a Surface Pro 3 and it does what is supposed to do. No complaints at all.

I do have a internet browser app for my iPad that runs Java. The apple browser does not however.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC