Author Topic: Ground Venison Jerky with a Jerky board.  (Read 814 times)

Offline CANNON-MAN

Ground Venison Jerky with a Jerky board.
« Reply #-1 on: November 09, 2014, 09:13:24 AM »
This is how to make ground meat jerky using a jerky board. The board is made out of a counter top sink cut-out. It has two strips of 1/4 inch thick plastic screwed into each side. I have stainless cookie sheets that fit between the strips. I place the sheet between the spacers and oil the sheets with vegetable oil. I then place the ground spiced jerky on the sheet and then flatten it out with my hands. I then put plastic wrap over the meat and use a stainless roller to roll it out. A little flour or powder sugar on the plastic wrap will keep it from sticking to the roller.  When you roll it hard against the plastic spacers it will give you a very even layer of meat. I then have a plastic channel that I press the stick impression right through the plastic. I place them in the smoker and start the smoking process. The sheet closest to the heat source will always jell up first. I take the sheet out and use a plastic knife to finish the cut that separates the sticks. I then flip them over as I transfer them to expanded metal sheets. I continue to move the sheets to the lower position. In a short time all the sheets have been transferred to the screens. I also rotate the centers of the sheets to the edges and flip end to end to keep the sticks drying at the same rate from end to end. I do not finish it in the smoker. I finish them in a dehydrator as they will dry much more evenly. A couple of pictures are actually video links. Click on them to watch.

Here is a video that shows the process. Click on the picture.

http://vid943.photobucket.com/albums/ad274/pikeman_95/A%20BATCH%20OF%20GROUND%20BEEF%20JERKY/Jerkyboardvideo.mp4

then into the smoker.

http://vid943.photobucket.com/albums/ad274/pikeman_95/A%20BATCH%20OF%20GROUND%20BEEF%20JERKY/NOWFORTHESMOKERANDTHENTHEDEHYDRATOR.mp4

after some time in the dehydrator I give it the bend test. It should be difficult to bend but not snap.

Then wrap it in plastic wrap and then foil wrap and freeze. If properly dried and frozen in this way you can keep it for a couple of years and you would think you just made it. If you leave too much moisture in it the freezing action will cause it to crumble when it thaws.

This batch is made with  Soy Vey Veri Veri Teriyaki used at 3.3 oz per pound of meat. Or 93.55 grams / pound and 2 grams of crushed red pepper per pound. For those that like it hotter you could double the pepper. I grind the red pepper in a coffee mill so the powder is easier to evenly spread through the mix.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 09:47:23 AM by CANNON-MAN »

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Ground Venison Jerky with a Jerky board.
« on: November 09, 2014, 09:20:07 AM »
Nice post.  Thanks, but now I am hungry for some jerky.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: Ground Venison Jerky with a Jerky board.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 10:36:59 AM »
They look great, nicely done. ;) ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)