Author Topic: Stuffing or Dressing?  (Read 3068 times)

Offline RAD

Stuffing or Dressing?
« Reply #-1 on: November 11, 2014, 06:19:03 AM »
Typically my stuffing (that’s what I call it) comes from a box. The last couple of years I’ve been trying to make my own. Some of the best stuffing I’ve had was from this hole in the wall place and it had either chicken or turkey in it.

One onion diced, couple of celery ribs diced, mushrooms sliced, I stole a leg quarter from the turkey and pulled it. Next time I would like to do about three chicken thighs instead of the turkey. One bag of stuffing.

Vegies sautéed until soft, meat and chicken broth added according to stuffing directions. Stuffing added and blended until done. We now have stuffing. 

Not bad but I am missing something. Maybe it’s the stuffing or it’s the chicken.  Any thoughts or suggestions on how to make the best stuffing are greatly welcomed.

Love to cook and eat

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
Re: Stuffing or Dressing?
« on: November 11, 2014, 06:40:51 AM »
Typically my stuffing (that’s what I call it) comes from a box. The last couple of years I’ve been trying to make my own. Some of the best stuffing I’ve had was from this hole in the wall place and it had either chicken or turkey in it.

One onion diced, couple of celery ribs diced, mushrooms sliced, I stole a leg quarter from the turkey and pulled it. Next time I would like to do about three chicken thighs instead of the turkey. One bag of stuffing.

Vegies sautéed until soft, meat and chicken broth added according to stuffing directions. Stuffing added and blended until done. We now have stuffing. 

Not bad but I am missing something. Maybe it’s the stuffing or it’s the chicken.  Any thoughts or suggestions on how to make the best stuffing are greatly welcomed.

My dad swears by using the gizzards of the turkey, and I think he also uses a couple eggs to help hold it together.

At my part time job one of the tricks chef taught me was lemon juice and zest just brings out some extra pop, flavor, and lightness in foods that salt just can't do on its own.  Most notably learned this while making hummus and I was blown away by the change.  Maybe try some lemon zest and juice. Zest adds more flavor without the acidic nature of the juice which can cook foods you don't want cooked.  For marinades I use zest for flavor, then at the end of cooking I use some juice for the extra pop before resting the chicken or seafood.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 07:04:49 AM by akruckus »
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 06:48:25 AM »
My mom used to make great stuffing. I don't know her recipe but she used to add crushed walnuts to it.  It really gave it a great texture IMHO.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 07:24:38 AM »
Wife does homemade sausage dressing.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Hub

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 07:37:45 AM »
Whether you call it "stuffing" or "dressing" (I tend to use the terms interchangeably) the best thing about it for me is that it makes a perfect place to put lots and lots and lots of GRAVY

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 08:12:11 AM »
I use the dressing and stuffing interchangably too..I don't use chicken or turkey meat but I use a lot more onions and celery and add sage, S&P&G when I cook it down. I cook the giblets and use the broth to moisten my bread that I dry our for a couple of days. We like ours a lil on the moister side so I usually add chicken broth too. I make a big batch and for the boys, I add oysters. The lemon zest works too. I don't use a recipe, just throw stuffs together. I use the SRG or TBE and save some of the juices to add to the dressing. my family like the old fashioned way because that is the way Grammy Gould made it so no added walnuts or sausage, cornbread..I can do some gravy too.  Happy Turkey Day.  Pam   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline akruckus

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 08:18:08 AM »
If you want to taste test just pan fry a small patty of it and adjust accordingly
PBC
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 08:54:48 AM »
Well, hard to say cause I live with a mixed family.  What I mean is Mom and Dad were Yankee's but I was raised in the South my life.

Kimmie's  side is all Southern, I mean MIL even counts here beans before cooking and FIL won't sleep till he has his butter milk and corn bread

Both are great so I get the best of both sides of the fence  ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline RedRocks

• Four-Corners, USA
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 10:20:15 AM »
Stuffing or dressing - either/or.  I simmer the giblets for about 30 minutes, divide and use some in the stuffing and some in the gravy.  The broth goes to the (boxed) stuffing and the drippings from the turkey go to the gravy.  Add onions, celery, etc to the stuffing - good stuff.

~Frank

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 11:16:53 AM »

You might want to try <a href="http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=11483.msg156383#msg156383">Esther's Holiday Stuffing</a> that Hub posted recently.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 11:20:43 AM »
yankee ....."bread" stuffing

southern...."cornbread" dressing

Both be good !!!!!   ;D
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 11:29:04 AM »
yankee ....."bread" stuffing

southern...."cornbread" dressing

Both be good !!!!!   ;D

Yep, and that's what makes <a href="http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=11483.msg156383#msg156383">Esther's Holiday Stuffing</a> so good. It's a blend of both sides of the Mason Dixon Line.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 06:36:12 PM »
My Mom made the best dressing and the best gravy ever. I wish I had paid more attention to what she was doing. I cannot recreate it.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline akruckus

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 02:31:49 AM »
My Mom made the best dressing and the best gravy ever. I wish I had paid more attention to what she was doing. I cannot recreate it.

I have the same thoughts on my grandmother's cooking.  I paid attention but still cannot recreate.  The only thing that I come close is her Sunday gravy(red sauce), braciole, sausage, meatballs, and a bone-in pork chop.
PBC
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Q-wannabe

• Mount Holly NC
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 07:21:39 PM »
Thanksgiving growing up included both regular sage bread dressing and oyster dressing, like some of you I didn't pay attention to how it was made. I sure miss it!
Thank God I did learn how to make homemade chicken and noodles, I make them every year in honor of my Grangma, God bless her heart!
Ole Betsy my homemade rig, stick or charcoal with a gas assist
Yoder YS640, yep a "pellethead" too
Guess I'm a conflicted soul