Author Topic: Maggi Seasoning  (Read 1624 times)

Offline Pappymn

Maggi Seasoning
« Reply #-1 on: January 11, 2015, 02:33:56 PM »
Costco had a giant bottle for 5 bucks do I tossed it in the cart. Did some reading and a lot of people swear by this stuff. And a little goes a long way.

Any opinions or uses here?
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline hikerman

Re: Maggi Seasoning
« on: January 11, 2015, 02:59:45 PM »
We take several long weekend road trips to New Glarus,WI, Little Switzerland. Anyway, most of the Swiss people we've met use it daily in their ethnic cooking.
Other than that Pappy, I got nuttin'!

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 03:06:48 PM »
Most steaks that I eat get nothing but salt and pepper.  Occasionally, if I get a real lackluster piece of meat I put a little worcestershire sauce on my plate and put a few drops of maggi seasoning in it.  This adds tons of umami type flavor.  I found it making a Harry Soo recipe.
I believe I've read that a number of cultures claim it as their own for its primary use as a flavor enhancer.
"You will thank us for smoking."

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 03:51:05 PM »
Pappy I have used it but didn't like the fact it has MSG in it. It was created in Switzerland but is widely used world wide. If you don't mind MSG it gives a umami flavor and use a lot of different ways. Her eis a link with some info. http://www.thekitchn.com/ingredient-spotlight-maggi-sea-91316  Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 06:14:42 PM »
I've used it when making some Thai foods. To have left it out would have reduced the flavor.

Here is another view of the "MSG controversy." 

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/05/dining/05glute.html?ex=1220846400&en=f453a8cf5f2270e7&ei=5087?excamp=NYT-E-I-NYT-E-AT-0312-L5&WT.mc_ev=click&WT.mc_id=%20NYT-E-I-NYT-E-AT-0312-L5&_r=0

I really don't like getting involved in these "controversies" as usually the amount of time it will take to sort it all out will exceed my life time...  ;) ;D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 07:55:52 PM »
Good stuff use it in place of "Worcestershire sauce" soy sauce etc. There are a few different seasonings depending on country of origin. I prefer the French.
MSG gets a bad reputation, the stuff occurs naturally.
That's why Parmesan cheese makes everything taste great.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 09:48:27 PM »
I've used it when making some Thai foods. To have left it out would have reduced the flavor.

Here is another view of the "MSG controversy." 

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/05/dining/05glute.html?ex=1220846400&en=f453a8cf5f2270e7&ei=5087?excamp=NYT-E-I-NYT-E-AT-0312-L5&WT.mc_ev=click&WT.mc_id=%20NYT-E-I-NYT-E-AT-0312-L5&_r=0

I really don't like getting involved in these "controversies" as usually the amount of time it will take to sort it all out will exceed my life time...  ;) ;D

I think the controversy began with the fear that everyone was sensitive to the same levels of glutamate - which we are not. (  upon reading the article - the author did not understand that MSG is not glutamate. MSG is the combined sodium molecule + glutamate - and may/may not be a problem for most folks. Your mileage may vary ;))

I have bought products that have MSG in them, and on occasion I will use them. I don't overdo it because I do have a concern that it is possible for us to become sensitized to MSG. That is not the same thing as allergic, but - the resulting issues a person may have can be the same.

Glutimates are found in mushrooms, and veggies that have cooked long enough to release the glutamates that are normally bound chemically in them. When we add a little salt while cooking any natural glutamate containing food - we can make MSG. Why do you think that slow cooked soups and stocks taste so good?  That good old Umami comes from those glutamates  ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 10:20:29 PM »
The link I gave was pro using Maggi and just some info on it with some recipes for Pappy. I am like T I will use products that contain MSG but don't go out of my way to use a lot to add to my food. I would never say it is not good for you but my wife has an aunt and her daughter that get sick if eating food that has it added. I figure if mother nature creates it while I am cooking that's fine! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 10:39:15 PM »
MSG occurs naturally so I don't believe the fear of it but that is just my opinion.

With that being said I am not familiar with that seasoning Pappy and let us know what you think.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 10:04:19 AM »
The link I gave was pro using Maggi and just some info on it with some recipes for Pappy. I am like T I will use products that contain MSG but don't go out of my way to use a lot to add to my food. I would never say it is not good for you but my wife has an aunt and her daughter that get sick if eating food that has it added. I figure if mother nature creates it while I am cooking that's fine! Don

Don,

I agree with both you and T - it is true that we are all different. Some of us have allergies or intolerances to various foods, ingredients, chemicals, etc. What doesn't work for us we should avoid. But, it is not my job to tell you what to eat or not eat.

As Andrew Zimmern says - "If it looks good - eat it!"

D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 12:43:38 PM »

[/quote]

As Andrew Zimmern says - "If it looks good - eat it!"

D
[/quote]

Although Deb won't watch him, I love watching Andrew Zimmern. 
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!