Author Topic: I'm Not Sayin' it has rained for 40 days and 40 nights...  (Read 3862 times)

Offline okie52

• Edmond OK
Re: I'm Not Sayin' it has rained for 40 days and 40 nights...
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2015, 02:08:19 PM »
I'm sure it has been historic for Texas, too, but May 2015 became the wettest month by far in OK.  Previous record was about 14.6 inches and this May has been about 19 inches plus if I heard correctly for OKC. 

We needed the water and I'm glad most areas of the state are out of the drought status but we couldn't really handle anymore rain now.  Fortunately I think we are expecting the next 4-5 days to be rain free.
Traeger Texas Grill w Blazen Grill PID
w/smoke daddy big kajuna
ng converted great outdoors vertical smoker
dcs 24" built in ng grill
50,000 BTU ng side burner
Maverick ET 732
Igrill

Boomer Sooner

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2015, 07:41:43 PM »
I'm sure it has been historic for Texas, too, but May 2015 became the wettest month by far in OK.  Previous record was about 14.6 inches and this May has been about 19 inches plus if I heard correctly for OKC.

Not braggin' by any means, but it rained 12.6 inches in 2 hours last Monday night at my house. I heard reports of over 16 inches in 2 hours just a few miles north of here. That is more water than I ever want to see again. All that water is still not completely drained off around town with road closures and many detours. If you stay on the interstates, you can get around pretty good, but the traffic is worse than usual because people are scared to take side streets.

Offline Pappymn

I'm Not Sayin' it has rained for 40 days and 40 nights...
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2015, 07:43:27 PM »
Wow
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline okie52

• Edmond OK
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 09:11:03 AM »

Not braggin' by any means, but it rained 12.6 inches in 2 hours last Monday night at my house. I heard reports of over 16 inches in 2 hours just a few miles north of here. That is more water than I ever want to see again. All that water is still not completely drained off around town with road closures and many detours. If you stay on the interstates, you can get around pretty good, but the traffic is worse than usual because people are scared to take side streets.

12-16 inches in two hours is really incomprehensible.
w/smoke daddy big kajuna
Maverick ET 732
Igrill

Boomer Sooner

Offline okie52

• Edmond OK
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2015, 10:43:44 AM »
Here's a few excerpts from an interesting article regarding May rains in TX and OK.

Record-breaking May rainfall in Texas and Oklahoma, by the numbers

The final rainfall totals and the records they broke were enormous.

A few exceptional records set across Texas include:

Statewide — Wettest month on record (8.81 inches)
Dallas-Forth Worth — Wettest May on record (16.96 inches)
Dallas Fort-Worth — Second wettest spring (March-May, 25.05 inches)
Wichita Falls — Wettest month on record (17 inches)
Childress — Wettest month on record (13.21 inches)

Exceptional records set in Oklahoma:

Statewide — Wettest month on record (14.40 inches)
Oklahoma City — Wettest month on record (19.48 inches)
Lawton — Wettest month on record (20.47 inches)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/06/01/record-breaking-may-rainfall-in-texas-and-oklahoma-by-the-numbers/?wprss=rss_local
w/smoke daddy big kajuna
Maverick ET 732
Igrill

Boomer Sooner

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2015, 04:40:04 PM »
I'm not in the 100 year flood plain so I am not obligated to carry flood insurance (which I do not carry); however, for a couple of hours last Monday, I was sure upset at myself for not having bought flood insurance. My house has never flooded before, but I was pretty certain it was going to this time.

One good thing that happened during all the flooding was the fact that I figured out some drainage problems I have that are being addressed right now. I have a french drain with 5 drains around my patio in the back yard which are attached to the city drainage system. During the rain, the water was coming out of these instead of going in, thus the backyard turned into a swimming pool with water coming within 1/8 inch of entering the backdoor. I realized that a tree root has pushed up the sidewalk and ground on the side of the house to keep the water from escaping the backyard. I'm breaking up the sidewalk, cutting the root out, and re-doing the sidewalk. I hope that will solve my problem for the next flood in 100 years. It is sunny and hot here today. First time my house has seen the sun in a month.