Author Topic: 2 new PBS programs you might like  (Read 699 times)

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
2 new PBS programs you might like
« Reply #-1 on: June 30, 2015, 06:56:40 PM »
There are 2 new PBS programs this summer that deal with smoking meat. One from Aaron Franklin and one from Steve Raichlen.

First there is "BBQ with Franklin". This 30 minute show (actually about 24 min show) has all ready aired 2 episodes. The first was all about brisket and the second was all about sausage. The third episode will be dedicated to whole hog. It airs on Houston PBS this Sat. at 1PM Central. There is no national PBS schedule so you will have to check with your local PBS station for schedule info. It could be on any day at any time and some PBS stations won't broadcast it all because their program directors don't know what good programming is. By the way, these are not the Youtube videos being rebroadcast.

Second there is "Steve Raichlen's Project Smoke". This show features Raichlen in a new setting in Tucson featuring all sorts of smoking including cold smoking. He will have many types of smokers including the barrel offset smoker, The Pit Barrel Smoker (PBC), the Big Green Egg Kamado smoker, The Memphis Pellet Smoker, the Kalamazoo wood burning grill, and smoker grills like the Smoke and Fire Extreme BBQ. He will also feature an electric Bradley smoker.I know that most of us don't agree with Steve on using soaked wood chips to smoke meat, but the rest of his cooking skills are pretty sane and well worth watching. In Houston, his show starts Sat. right after Franklin's show. Like above, check your local PBS station becasue they all do their own scheduling.

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
Re: 2 new PBS programs you might like
« on: June 30, 2015, 07:06:35 PM »
First, I "LOVE" the fact that my taxpayer funded TV station is now airing commercials on all of its shows. (rant over)

Second, I've seen most of the Franklin series and found it pretty interesting.  I have not run across the other one, although his BBQ-U series was very informative.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 11:48:16 AM »
And like somebody else posted, you can watch both of these on the computer after their air date if your local PBS is not buying the series.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 11:59:37 AM »
Thanks!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #