Author Topic: stick burners  (Read 4159 times)

Offline sparky

• northern california
stick burners
« Reply #-1 on: July 25, 2015, 07:52:27 AM »
ok, it's 4 am and I got some more questions about stick burners.

1)  reverse flow or traditional offset?  I know that reverse flow will give a more even heat thru out the entire chamber and that a traditional offset has different heat zones depending on how you have your tuning plates set up. 

2)  do they both use the same amount of wood to achieve the same temps?

2)  most fireboxes are 1/4" steel.  is it worth it to go w/ 1/2" steel or a insulated firebox (summers are hot here 90 - 100 and winters in the 30's)?

3)  should the fire box be a certain size?  aren't most splits a standard length size?

4)  I'm thinking that 2 doors would be a lot easier to open than one big door (getting up there and the body doesn't always like to move easily).  or maybe a big door w/ counter weight?  any difference in the strength of the smoker or cooking ease? 

5)  do you need a warmer box above the fire box?  I understand what they are for but if you not catering (I'm not anymore) do I need one?

6)  I was thinking about maybe a lang 48, Shirley fabrication 24 x 48, gator pits party gator, lone star grillz 24 x 48, jambo junior or they is a new smoker builder here in northern California.  Kat smokers. 

ok, did I forget to ask any of the right questions.  thank you bbq family.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
Re: stick burners
« on: July 25, 2015, 10:16:17 AM »
I use my small stick burner & the bigger one at hunting camp a lot.
A few words of advice , it's a great way to do an interactive, fulfilling , fun cook.
We no longer try to use year round, when it's cold use your WSM.
It's kinda a social event, sit around , listen to music , enjoy the cook.
I often finish the cook on a gasser or oven after smoking for 6 hours.
1/4 in steel will last the rest of our lives, it's also thick enough to be ridgid making it easy to be build solidly with little leakage.
Check locally most woodcutters will adjust the length of wood to fit your firebox if you order a cord, most common here is 18 in.
There's always some variation in temp from one end of the cooker to the other even with tuning plates or reverse flow learn to use it to your advantage.

I want one of these but will probably never get.

http://www.tejassmokers.com/products/2430.htm

« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 10:29:54 AM by LostArrow »
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 10:28:05 AM »
See inline answers.

1)  reverse flow or traditional offset?  I know that reverse flow will give a more even heat thru out the entire chamber and that a traditional offset has different heat zones depending on how you have your tuning plates set up.  - I prefer traditional for the reason you mentioned (flexibility)

2)  do they both use the same amount of wood to achieve the same temps? - All things equal, a reverse will use more fuel.

2)  most fireboxes are 1/4" steel.  is it worth it to go w/ 1/2" steel or a insulated firebox (summers are hot here 90 - 100 and winters in the 30's)? - I think 1/4" is fine, but if you can spring for insulated do it just to conserve fuel.

3)  should the fire box be a certain size?  aren't most splits a standard length size? - Depends on the size of the cooker.  There are calculators out there for box and exhaust sizing.  I like at least 22" for full splits (normally 18") to have some space.

4)  I'm thinking that 2 doors would be a lot easier to open than one big door (getting up there and the body doesn't always like to move easily).  or maybe a big door w/ counter weight?  any difference in the strength of the smoker or cooking ease?  - My main door is heavy as hell.  Counterweights are great, but I wouldn't go with two doors.

5)  do you need a warmer box above the fire box?  I understand what they are for but if you not catering (I'm not anymore) do I need one? - Warmer above the box is the reverse flow design.  To the left is the traditional design (what I have).  I use it more for cooking than a warmer box.  Often I like to do ribs or whatever around 250 degrees while I cook chicken over 300 in the main.

6)  I was thinking about maybe a lang 48, Shirley fabrication 24 x 48, gator pits party gator, lone star grillz 24 x 48, jambo junior or they is a new smoker builder here in northern California.  Kat smokers.  - All depends on how much you want to customize and how long you want to wait.  You can't go wrong giving Paul and Tyler (Shirley) a call.

Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 11:50:41 AM »
When shopping for an off-set, it is best to call the Mfgs and ask away. Ritch over at Gator will help out. Call Lilian over at JJ pits. Dave over at Klose. Mike over at Texas pit crafters. Jim over at Tejas If you are lucky Ben will answer the phone over at Lang.

I figure these folk designed their pits and are best suited to steer you in the right direction towards your particular needs.............

Watch for my Good One review......a off-set that can run 10 hours with hardly any adjustments................. ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Eatin Smoke

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 09:24:40 PM »

1)  reverse flow or traditional offset?  I know that reverse flow will give a more even heat thru out the entire chamber and that a traditional offset has different heat zones depending on how you have your tuning plates set up. 

2)  do they both use the same amount of wood to achieve the same temps?

2)  most fireboxes are 1/4" steel.  is it worth it to go w/ 1/2" steel or a insulated firebox (summers are hot here 90 - 100 and winters in the 30's)?

3)  should the fire box be a certain size?  aren't most splits a standard length size?

4)  I'm thinking that 2 doors would be a lot easier to open than one big door (getting up there and the body doesn't always like to move easily).  or maybe a big door w/ counter weight?  any difference in the strength of the smoker or cooking ease? 

5)  do you need a warmer box above the fire box?  I understand what they are for but if you not catering (I'm not anymore) do I need one?

6)  I was thinking about maybe a lang 48, Shirley fabrication 24 x 48, gator pits party gator, lone star grillz 24 x 48, jambo junior or they is a new smoker builder here in northern California.  Kat smokers. 

1.  Depends on whether you prefer even temps across or would rather hot spots - both have benefits.  I prefer the reverse flow

2.  Some say RF are fuel hogs - I use 1-2 splits every 40-50 min

3.  I have a 3/8 main & firebox but winters are brutal here - you would be fine w/ 1/4.  I think the 1/2 or insulated would be a waste of $ for you

4.  Firebox size is dependent on main cook chamber to achieve proper air flow

5.  I would seriously consider the cabinet style door that Shirley makes.  This would allow you full acces to the chamber to do a whole hog if needed

6.  I love my warming box.  Mainly use it to preheat my splits, but it comes in handy for holding food, doing smaller cooks, or smoking bacon  ;)

7.  I'm biased but you won't find a better deal than Shirley, if you wait that long.  That being said, you can't go wrong w/ any of the pits you mentioned.

Hope that helps

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 10:30:20 PM »
all of the replies help a lot.  thank you. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 11:30:35 AM »
I really like the look of these    SF – 24×50 Patio Model w/ Warmer , I'm not saying its better than any of the others , I just know what to expect from this design.
The size  is really nice.  A whole hog would be easy and its small enough to do a few racks of ribs if so inclined.
Get the warmer .. I have been wanting to add one to mine for years. Time and time again I have needed it.
 Some things I would look for :
1.  A fold down exterior shelf across the front.  My shelf is fixed and it would be nice to let it down at times.  Having a shelf is VERY helpful.  I use it every time I cook literally.
2.  Warmer box/oven. Adjustable temp would be real nice.
3.  A fold down shelf across the front. Slide out grates. Not always need but when you do...you do.
4.  Swivel castors on one end so its easy to move around. Its heavy! Your back will thank you for this feature one day.

And make absolutely sure the lid can be locked open! Its a killer if it falls..just sayin
The pig in the picture is about 50lbs. It easily fits on one side of my tank which is about the size of the cooker above.

Terry "Way down in Alabama"