Author Topic: Do you still have your grandparents?  (Read 47493 times)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Do you still have your grandparents?
« Reply #-1 on: August 03, 2015, 08:56:14 AM »
One of the things I regret as I have got older is not spending time with my grandparents and other older family members learning about the family history.

If you still have your grandparents and some older relatives, take some time, sit down with them and have them tell you about the family history.  Somehow record it if possible.

It seems that the grandparents have more of a knowledge of the history than the parents.  Of course, the great grandparents would know ever further back but they are mostly not around.

So, if you are interested in your family history, ask the older ones and then listen.  Who knows.  Some day your grandchildren will be asking you about the family history and if you talk to your grandparents you can give them more than if you don't.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Do you still have your grandparents?
« on: August 03, 2015, 09:22:20 AM »
All mine are gone  :(       But when Kimmie's Pa-Pa and Grand Daddy were around I sat down with them every chance I could. 

I could not believe some of the stuff they went through in their lives.  Kimmie's Pa-Pa was the chief detective for this town and had a lot of stories + he is even in a book with a story of a shoot out I front of his home.

Kimmie's Grand Daddy was a farmer and bought and sold land.   Oh the stories I could  tell ya' about my town in the mid 60's -80's  :D

My Grand father (only Grand parent I knew) past in 1990 but the times he lived in were rougher since he lived in Detroit and lots of them deal with things I'd rather not post here     
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 11:37:36 AM by TMB »
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 11:21:30 AM »
Sadly, everyone is gone.....The Smoke is an orphan these days
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline DWard51

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 06:15:53 PM »
Same here, and they are missed.

The summers I spent on their farm when I was growing up are still some of my best memories.  It makes me sad to think my grand kids will not have those experiences as the world has changed so much since then. No way I can retire again and farm (the family farm is going the way of the dinosaur). 

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 09:26:32 PM »
Mine are all gone, too.  I am now the grandparent.  Kind of frightening, isn't it?  I still look at some old pictures and reminisce about the times I remember with them.  There are some good (and often funny) stories involved.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 09:37:09 PM »
Mine are all gone as well, however I was very fortunate to spend most of my summers staying with them and I got to spend a great deal of time playing gin rummy with my great grandmother. And believe me if you won 2 games out of 50 you were doing good. Best part was hearing all the family stories.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 09:39:28 PM »
Mine are gone... I met a couple and have vague memories... the stories (bootlegging, etc.) are great, but wish I could have heard it from them. My children have a chance and that is good.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 11:19:03 PM »
Mine are long gone. My Dad is 96 and his dementia is such he can't remember much but some days he can pull a memory back. When I was in my teens my Mother's Mother was still alive, she told me some great family stories. Unbelievable how they lived and survived.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 09:36:22 AM »
 I guess since most of ours are gone, the best thing we can do is to impart to our grandkids what our grandparents did or we wish they did for us.  Maybe, we can give the grandkids the information about the family history we have that we wish we had got from out grandparents.

We really can't depend on the parents doing too much in this realm because they are so busy fighting alligators to make a living and these things are not necessarily that important to them  right now.

I would love to have a video of my grandparents or my Aunt Sissie talking about the family history so I'd have something to go on from them.  However, there was no video tapes when they were alive. Maybe, someone here will share ideas on how to pass family history on.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 05:18:28 PM »
I guess since most of ours are gone, the best thing we can do is to impart to our grandkids what our grandparents did or we wish they did for us.  Maybe, we can give the grandkids the information about the family history we have that we wish we had got from out grandparents.

We really can't depend on the parents doing too much in this realm because they are so busy fighting alligators to make a living and these things are not necessarily that important to them  right now.

I would love to have a video of my grandparents or my Aunt Sissie talking about the family history so I'd have something to go on from them.  However, there was no video tapes when they were alive. Maybe, someone here will share ideas on how to pass family history on.

Dee

Dee, you have given me an idea (as usual!) My wife's "family reunion" is coming up. I put it in quotes because it has become an annual event. We have fun arguments about whether it is "legal" to call it a reunion if it is an annual event - to me that is a get together, and that is a good thing. But, not a reunion..

Anyway - the idea. I will bring my video cameras and tripods along with the Hero Camera this year and collect stories - mostly from the well seasoned folks, but others as well. Not only produce this for this year, but make it an on-going tradition for the "get togethers." But also to get the kids while they are kids, so they can look back, share, and continue the tradition. To your point, Dee, it is too easy to let things be forgotten. Already there have been some losses this year - better to collect the memories while we can.

Thank you for this!

D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 09:02:10 AM »
All mine are gone  :(       But when Kimmie's Pa-Pa and Grand Daddy were around I sat down with them every chance I could. 

I could not believe some of the stuff they went through in their lives.  Kimmie's Pa-Pa was the chief detective for this town and had a lot of stories + he is even in a book with a story of a shoot out I front of his home.

Kimmie's Grand Daddy was a farmer and bought and sold land.   Oh the stories I could  tell ya' about my town in the mid 60's -80's  :D

My Grand father (only Grand parent I knew) past in 1990 but the times he lived in were rougher since he lived in Detroit and lots of them deal with things I'd rather not post here   

YOU are the one who should be recording stories for YOUR kids and grandkids...don't wait until you're old and forgetful

just sayin'....
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!