Author Topic: Obituary for my Father In Law  (Read 2822 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Obituary for my Father In Law
« Reply #-1 on: August 03, 2015, 10:25:53 AM »
Preston Lee Metcalf was 83 years old when he passed away this past Saturday August 1, 2015.

There are several events that happened that day that for me are incontrovertible truth of divine intervention, and the granting of mercy in the passing of a man. I can't go into all of that here. Still trying to reckon with it.
Preston had known for the last couple of years that he had an inoperable aneurism on his spine. He had it checked regularly, and on his last Dr. visit a few months ago, the Dr. had "the talk" with him. No need for more appts. Get your affairs in order, and enjoy your family.

My Mother In Law called- in a panic about 10:30 a.m. - that he was un-responsive. We called EMS - and ambulance  arrived within 5 minutes. The shocked him, and got him back, then off to the hospital E.R.
We got there very shortly after that, and as soon as they got him stabilized, and some pain meds, we were assigned a room. Comfort care was all that we could do. We managed - miraculously to get all the family members, and his pastor there. When asked if there is anything he wanted - have asked for his family to sing some of their favorite songs. He said that we was going to a place where there was no pain. He talked to everyone that had come to see him, he did his best to give them peace - to not be sad for him. At about 4:20 p.m. He drifted off to sleep, peacefully. No pain. Ever again.

I appreciate you all - and your thoughts and prayers very much. My Mother in Law is not equipped to handle her life without her husband of 59 - almost 60 years.  I will be tied up with a lot of things this week, and beyond.... and the realization of the gravity of this loss is beginning to sink in.
Hard to imagine in this day and age, but they were truly a 1950's "traditional roles" couple. She has never written a check. She has never put gas in a car. She cooked, and cleaned, walked the girls ( my wife and her sister) to school and back every day until my wife was in the 5th grade. That is when she decided it was time to learn to drive. Lots of funny stories about that - for another time... Preston did all else. He did all things pertaining to the roles models of a by-gone era, in the belief that was the right and honorable way to live. Truly an exemplary man's man. I watched him always do the right, moral, an ethical thing in any circumstance. And he did it with full consideration and humility.
The two of them sang and played instruments ( members of the family have been professionals in Gospel and Bluegrass music, playing long term with Bill Monroe and others...) and their favorite way to spend time was at churches and gatherings playing and sing traditional gospel in the harmonies and styles one only hears in Appalachia. They would spend time at various shelters for the homeless doing such as well.
An example of the most successful era of middle class America, and the best of American society they were hard working middle class folks, and appreciative of everything. They alway had a big garden, and canned, and gave away enough food every year to feed Patton's army. Preston was the Lawn and Garden Manager for Sears in Asheville NC during Sears heyday. He bought the plant stock, consulted with folks on gardening techniques - and delivered, set up and demonstrated tractors and implements in all the hills and hollers around Western NC.  When I took him out for lunch occasionally I had to plan on a "3 hour tour" - because EVERYONE in town knew him - and loved him. So, it was a hand-shaking party all the way to, during, and on the return from lunch :D I told him several times that if he would run for mayor, he would win in a landslide. But, he was not a man that would ever tell a lie - so he had no actual future as a politician. ;)
But, there is a Metcalf Overlook" high in a mountain pass up near the NC/TN state line on I-26                https://foursquare.com/v/metcalf-overlook/4c2b479c77cfe21e5c31b4f1

I used to tease him about being from the "nosebleed section" of Madison County ;D  And that you couldn't shake a tree in those parts without a Metcalf falling out of it. There are Metcalfe Creeks, and so on...They are a "propagational success" as a clan. ;) ;D

These are folks that valued order and civility as their privilege, and obligate to being a good friend, neighbor and citizen. He was like a a quiet John Wayne mixed with Ward Cleaver. I have never heard him utter a harsh word about ANYONE. Literally. I have never heard him curse or say a "purple word". Ever. He was not pious, or condescending. When he did discipline his children, or offer counsel  - NEVER was it done in a manner of castigation, shame or embarrassment of anyone. He was truly the father of the community he lived in, with many "non-children" becoming his kids. When you look at the family photo albums, they are riddled with photos of many neighbor kids of all complexions and kinds. It did not matter. They needed love, and a sense of family, safety, food. Preston and Susie never rejected anyone that needed help.
While I admired this....you can imagine the work ahead, to assist my Mother in Law with managing the affairs of her household now.

Still, I feel this a great privileged to be of any assistance I can. You see - I am lucky. I have been "grafted-in". Twice ;).... The second time, into a family whose love for everyone was not showy, or false. It is as genuine, and humble - and real as in any old movie you have seen.

As I grow older, I truly hope that God grants me the peace, strength and wisdom that he gifted Preston Metcalf - who showed me by example. Not words. He did not say a lot. When he did, it was always worth hearing with your mind and your heart.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 06:24:07 PM by teesquare »
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline 1Bigg_ER

Re: Obituary for my Father In Law
« on: August 03, 2015, 11:13:19 AM »
My condolences!!
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 11:16:44 AM »
These wonderful people that we are losing are true links to the past. They come from a simpler time where women were classy and wore pretty hats. The men dressed nice and were respectful devoted family men. All you needed was a handshake. They had a genuine love for God,Family and Country......

Look at people these days....I am sad for all of us....... Tims' loss is a loss not only for the immediate family but for us all.......We are truly losing people that are darn near impossible to repace...... :'(
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 11:37:37 AM »
Thanks for sharing, Tim.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 11:44:24 AM »
Gosh, I don't know what to say, but amen.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 01:43:13 PM »
Again, our condolences.  Call me if you need anything.

Art and Maureen
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 02:48:34 PM »
Tim, One day someone will write something similar about you and how you lived your life.  I'm sure he was proud to call you one of his "kids" as well.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline tailfeathers

• To blessed to be distressed!
Obituary for my Father In Law
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 02:55:36 PM »
Wow. Just wow. Beautifully written. NEVER underestimate the power of all the prayers being said on behalf of you and yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bradley 6 rack digital w/ 900w mod
auber pid
Rec Tec 680
Ducane gasser
weber kettles
Anova precision SV
Kitchenaide mixer/chef's choice grinder
LEM stuffer
Vacmaster VP112 chamber sealer
A-maze-n Qmatz/tubes
Cabela's 10" slicer
Cook-Air grill
Cabela's 80L dehydrator

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 03:47:49 PM »
Fantastically written Tim!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 03:54:03 PM »
WOW, what can one say after reading that?

Kimmie and I send our condolences.     Tim if there is anything we can do let us know.
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 04:39:30 PM »
Nicely done T.  Prayers to all your family. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Hub

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 05:46:30 PM »
Beautifully said, Tim.  I wish I'd have known your father-in-law because I know I would have liked him.  Thanks for sharing his slice of life with us.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 06:40:18 PM »
Tim, I know, myself, that there is intervention in special cases. 

My grandmother, up in Phila., was 95 years old and on her deathbed in the hospital.  But she managed to hang on long enough for my dad to drive from Charlotte so that he, and his two brothers, could be there at the end.  By that time in her life, she had completely lost the ability to speak or understand English.  I'm sure that having her boys there, together, sharing in Italian, eased her path.

It certainly sounds like both of your In Laws were (are) truly salts of the earth.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 11:09:33 PM »
What a wonderful tribute! It is a wonderful story about growing up in South.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline nylic76

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 03:22:55 PM »
There's  a lot of love and respect in that narrative Tee.  Well done.
SRG
Big Easy
Weber Kettle
Traeger Junior
Broilmaster Gas & GrillGrates
12" A-MAZE-N Smoker Tube