Author Topic: Still Searching for the Perfect Egg  (Read 4813 times)

Offline Smokerjunky

Re: Still Searching for the Perfect Egg
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2015, 12:49:42 PM »
First - your eggs look fantastic - I also like the english muffin bread.

I like to use canola spray - it doesn't take much.  I like runny yolks but have to have the whites completely cooked so I flip the eggs - I find that somewhere between over easy and over medium is about perfect and low heat always seems to work better.  Nothing quite like a fried egg sandwich on toasted white bread with a little mayo!

Great post!
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2015, 12:58:17 PM »
Haven't tried the mayo - will have to do that. Thanks!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline hikerman

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2015, 01:04:13 PM »
Looks great ! David! Sometimes when you least expect it. ......the perfect egg happens! ;D

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2015, 07:16:31 PM »
I like the ideas and will give them a try. Oh I like mine under a bed of grits !  :P
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2015, 08:26:31 PM »
I like the ideas and will give them a try. Oh I like mine under a bed of grits !  :P
Under, over or on the side grits just go with eggs!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2015, 08:35:18 PM »
Under, over or on the side grits just go with eggs!!! Don
Very true!
Or on top of a pancake with a slice of Vidalia onion... mmmm mmmm good
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline tailfeathers

• To blessed to be distressed!
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2015, 09:52:13 PM »
My perfect egg is on a toasted english muffin with a couple slices of my canadian bacon and thinly sliced smoked gouda. I crack the egg into an egg ring and cook it on low heat, break the yolk and let it cook until its just set but still soft. If I'm just frying eggs for breakfast they're over easy. Runny yolk but the whites gotta be set. No "rooster juice"!
Bradley 6 rack digital w/ 900w mod
auber pid
Rec Tec 680
Ducane gasser
weber kettles
Anova precision SV
Kitchenaide mixer/chef's choice grinder
LEM stuffer
Vacmaster VP112 chamber sealer
A-maze-n Qmatz/tubes
Cabela's 10" slicer
Cook-Air grill
Cabela's 80L dehydrator

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2015, 09:54:09 PM »
We do something like Pam does.  Except we call them one eyed jacks.  A piece of bread buttered both sides, coffee cup to cut a hole out of the center of the bread, throw the buttered bread in a pan and a egg gets cracked inside of the hole, cook, cook, cook, then flip.  You are also putting the buttered hole in the pan to (it gets crispy).  The best thing about one eyed jacks is that you can put on syrup or salt and pepper.  Love one eyed jacks.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2015, 10:27:04 PM »
My perfect egg is on a toasted english muffin with a couple slices of my canadian bacon and thinly sliced smoked gouda. I crack the egg into an egg ring and cook it on low heat, break the yolk and let it cook until its just set but still soft. If I'm just frying eggs for breakfast they're over easy. Runny yolk but the whites gotta be set. No "rooster juice"!
I agree the whites have to be set - but I just don't like the brown crispy whites. Always walking this balance, the reason for this method - set whites, runny / semi-runny yolk.

Next is the perfect soft / hard "boiled" egg.
Member #

Offline hikerman

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2015, 07:28:57 AM »
We do something like Pam does.  Except we call them one eyed jacks.  A piece of bread buttered both sides, coffee cup to cut a hole out of the center of the bread, throw the buttered bread in a pan and a egg gets cracked inside of the hole, cook, cook, cook, then flip.  You are also putting the buttered hole in the pan to (it gets crispy).  The best thing about one eyed jacks is that you can put on syrup or salt and pepper.  Love one eyed jacks.

Sparky, us flatlanders call these "toads in the hole"! Whatever they are called....they are good!

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2015, 10:28:49 AM »
350 degrees oven

warm cast iron skillet, ghee or butter in, eggs in, sea salt sprinkle on, cover pan and into the oven.
Perfect egg every time.
works great for a crowd
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2015, 06:08:12 AM »
My mother used to cook them in about 1/2'' of bacon grease and keep splashing the grease up over the egg as it cook.  She never heard of cholesterol.  I like them with a crispy brown lace around the edges.  Put them on grits, mix in some butter and extra sharp cheese and you're good to go.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2015, 10:37:22 AM »
I love eggs and that looks yummy . i use a mix of butter and olive oil so the butter doesn't burn . when the oil is hot i put the egg and as the white gets firm  I  tilt  the pan and scoop the oil and put it over the egg all the time till it is to my liking  . this way it cooks on  both sides .
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2015, 12:07:42 PM »
My Mom cooked or a family of 8 and she fried the bacon first.  Using all the grease she would fry the eggs like Dee described.   We ate 'em the way she cooked
'em or else.  The light brown "lace" on the edges we called "curlies".

I like eggs over easy now and almost every morning I have them "under the blanket".

What some call one-eyed-Jack's (great name), we call a bull' s eye.  I think I'm gonna change the name.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!