Author Topic: Sunday,the OLOsTSSRG, kids and a coon  (Read 1659 times)

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
Sunday,the OLOsTSSRG, kids and a coon
« Reply #-1 on: October 05, 2015, 10:30:47 AM »
 Kerry's birthday was Friday so some of the kids came over Sunday to spend the afternoon.  I decided to go simple and do burgers and potatoes for early dinner.
I have a small square grill I use sometimes inside the OLOsTSRG (Old Leaky Offset Tank Smoker Roaster Grill) . The low heat maintained inside the tank makes a nice smokey warming oven until everything is ready. It's pretty rough tending the fire because you have to have that beer in one hand while flipping burgers with the other. But I managed  to pull through OK.

All in all a really nice Sunday evening.

I was still thinking about Big Dawgs taters on here last week so made some of those too.

I've lost a couple hens again lately , so to end the evening and complete a good day the neighbor calls and said there is a situation in the hen house. I ran out the door shotgun in hand. When I opened the door hens came running out everywhere. Nothing to be found though. I had already sealed up some spots I suspected but with coons you have to go the extra mile...They are smart and crafty little buggers...
 I looked all around and nothing. Then it occurred to me.  He's coming in through the rafters from the attached building! I swung the door open and sure enough he was right there on the rafter. Caught red handed... I now have to fix the hole in the wall made by #4 shot but no more coon. I fired up the saw and cut plywood to seal the gaps though the rafters at 10 o'clock but its done.
  Now I'll get this fellow cleaned up and ready for Jaxon later this week! Don't worry Jack, I'll leave a foot on....  ;D

Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
Re: Sunday,the OLOsTSSRG, kids and a coon
« on: October 05, 2015, 11:04:08 AM »
Great food , great family , this is the taste of life . the photo with the baby is a poster quality (or at least a screen saver ).
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 11:46:47 AM »
I wonder what recipe Jaxon will use on that coon.  Dee probably has a good recipe from his Army survival training.  Oh wait, his training was probably done from the Officer's Club.  Oh well.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 11:51:22 AM »
Great food , great family , this is the taste of life . the photo with the baby is a poster quality (or at least a screen saver ).

X2!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 03:42:35 PM »

X2!

X3

Nice looking burgers and taters!!! I never ate coon but would try it. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 03:59:49 PM »
Hope Jaxon can cook that coon good up for you. Tell Kerry happy birthday and has anybody told you you are the luckiest man alive?
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 07:39:39 PM »
I can't believe our good fortune!!  A raccoon for the cookout...after you skin it, keep it in a salty brine with lots of ice.
Thanks for thinkin' about me.

B T W, the other pics look good.  Please give Kerry a birthday kiss for me.  We're really gonna miss seeing her this time.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 08:46:43 AM »

X2!

X3

Nice looking burgers and taters!!! I never ate coon but would try it. Don

Glad you made Jaxon's week with that coon. Out here in California they are plentiful... Always right next to the tri-tips. :P
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline KyNola

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 09:59:11 AM »
I've eaten BBQ'ed coon.  When cooked right it is delicious.  Not greasy like you might suspect.