Author Topic: Windey's Chili Changed?  (Read 2315 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Windey's Chili Changed?
« Reply #-1 on: November 19, 2015, 12:31:27 AM »
I remember someone, think it was Pappy, said they liked Windey's chili. I like it too, reminded me of my Mom's chili, kind of watery and soupy and more meat than beans. I was hungry for chili tonight so told the wife I wanted some from Windey's since I didn't have time to make some. The DIL and grandson were here to eat with us. The DIL and I both got a bowl of chili and we both said it was different. It had a thick sauce and a lot more beans than meat. The DIL said the spices were different too, seemed sweeter to her.

Are there any other Windey's chili fans out there that has noted a difference? Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Windey's Chili Changed?
« on: November 19, 2015, 08:29:46 AM »
I have not noticed Wendy's chili taste any different Don. But I am also in California so maybe they changed the formula in your state/area?
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 09:09:00 AM »
I haven't noticed any difference here. 
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Pappymn

Windey's Chili Changed?
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 09:33:34 AM »
I had some last week. Didn't notice anything different. And yes it was me. Guilty as charged :)
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 09:48:05 AM »

Maybe one of the kids in the back used some 'artistic license' making that batch?

Offline hikerman

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 10:07:32 AM »
I have read that Wendy's uses unsold burgers in its chili. The burgers are frozen and when they have enough....a new batch of chili is made. I have noticed periodically a meatier batch or a beanier batch. So I would imagine if they need to make chili and haven't enough leftover burgers, that they supplement with more beans. Just my opinion!

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 10:24:46 AM »
I have to confess that I have not tasted Wendy's chili in quite a long time. But last time I DID have it, I enjoyed it. Also, I have not tasted (yet) the link I am posting. However, this link claims to have a copy-cat recipe to Wendy's chili.

http://www.food.com/recipe/top-secret-recipes-version-of-wendys-chili-by-todd-wilbur-17858

I also have to acknowledge that many of my friends here will point out that this is NOT chili. That may be true, but it sure does sound good for dinner as we move into the dark months....
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 11:09:12 AM »
I haven't been to Wendy's in years, but they are advertising 4 for $4, which is basically what I would have after school 2-3 times a week in high school.  Back then everything was 99 cents, and with PA tax is came to $4.20, sometimes I got an extra JBC (Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger) so it upped it to $5.25.  I can relive my high school days only this time be semi out of breath after eating the meal. Wendy's > BK > McD
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 11:23:43 AM »
Please excuse this digression... I am not wanting to derail this post. However, ak's response triggered a memory that I want to share.

When I was in Jr high and high school - playing football - there was a place my buddies and I went to after practice. It was an old store (not there anymore) called Tempo. They had a little food area and made the absolute BEST fries ever. They were thin cut, perfectly crispy on the outside, but even though they were thin, they were still fluffy soft inside. After many years of trying, I realize this is impossible. But they did it. We would order the big plate, put a huge glop of ketchup and mustard on the side and scarf them down hot.

Wow! ak - thanks for bringing that memory back!

Now, back to your regular programing....  ;) ;D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Hub

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 04:58:48 PM »
Please excuse this digression... I am not wanting to derail this post. However, ak's response triggered a memory that I want to share.

When I was in Jr high and high school - playing football - there was a place my buddies and I went to after practice. It was an old store (not there anymore) called Tempo. They had a little food area and made the absolute BEST fries ever. They were thin cut, perfectly crispy on the outside, but even though they were thin, they were still fluffy soft inside. After many years of trying, I realize this is impossible. But they did it. We would order the big plate, put a huge glop of ketchup and mustard on the side and scarf them down hot.

Wow! ak - thanks for bringing that memory back!

Now, back to your regular programing....  ;) ;D

Aha  ???  I'm going to start a new one on this topic just for the fun of it.  I'll call it French Fries.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 11:09:13 PM »
I ate at Wendy's today for the first time in many years. Years ago I would get a burger and chili. I can't eat that much now so I got my single cheese with lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise. It was pretty good but not nearly as good as it used to be.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 01:33:19 AM »
I ate at Wendy's today for the first time in many years. Years ago I would get a burger and chili. I can't eat that much now so I got my single cheese with lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise. It was pretty good but not nearly as good as it used to be.
Ken you didn't help me on my question!  ;D Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 02:14:53 AM »
I have read that Wendy's uses unsold burgers in its chili. The burgers are frozen and when they have enough....a new batch of chili is made. I have noticed periodically a meatier batch or a beanier batch. So I would imagine if they need to make chili and haven't enough leftover burgers, that they supplement with more beans. Just my opinion!
Heard same story,and that employees have this on the list of what not to eat at Wendy's.Just sayin'......
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.