Author Topic: Narrowed down to three  (Read 3296 times)

Offline yoda525

Narrowed down to three
« Reply #-1 on: December 08, 2015, 12:03:49 PM »
Ok so I have to admit I can be lazy and that is part of the reason why I currently have a WSM with a cyber guru and want to get a pellet smoker due to how much more convenient it is.  I have basically narrowed down my choice of smoker to 3.

The Camp Chef which has a fire pot clean out, meat probe and pellet box clean out.

The Blazn Grill which has fire pot clean out, meat probe, front shelf accessory included and optional insulated lid (I am in the Chicagoland area)

The Mak which is listed as the Cadillac of grills.

My concern is for someone who is admittedly at times lazy is it worth paying the extra $500 for the Mak which I would have to manually clean out the ashes.  I would like to smoke more frequently than I have in the past and maybe because all the work needed to get my WSM going is what deterred me.  Maybe it isn't a major burden to clean out and in the long run this is what I would be satisfied with.  I hear the Blazn has great customer service with Tim and built very solid. 

For the size all are comparable for my needs of a family of 4 and occasionally entertain a larger size group.

Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Offline Hub

Re: Narrowed down to three
« on: December 08, 2015, 01:26:56 PM »
First of all, welcome  ;D

Next, cleaning out ashes from any pellet cooker is no big deal.  If there is no built-in ash "dump" all it takes is removing the grids and diffuser then a quick scoop out or vacuum (I have a small shop-vac).  Takes about two minutes, tops.  Depending on your model and manufacturer this may need to be done with lesser or greater frequency.  On my Memphis (a "Cadillac") I have to do it for each use because the fire box is rather shallow per the design specs.  On my NOS American Traeger I can get by with cleaning out ashes about every 3rd or 4th cook, usually.  Some pellet types and brands make more ash than others.  Don't sweat it.

PM some owners of the cookers you like and see what they have to say about their cookers and why.   We all chose the machines we like for a reason and that can be pretty entertaining when you're interested  8)

Hub

Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 01:56:04 PM »
I have a lower serial numbered MAK 2 Star.  Love it!  Built like a tank.  Will be around for a long time.  If I were to do it all over again, I would get the 1 Star, which was not available when I bought mine.  I have used the smoker on my 2 Star, but have since gone in a different direction for pure smoking based my needs.  I have a Red Box Smoker that I intend to use with the A-Maze-N maze smoker using one of the multitudes of different flavored pellets, particularly with cheese and some fish.

If you have some specific questions about using the MAK, PM me.  BTW, their support when required (as in not very often) is superb.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 02:05:59 PM »
All three pellet grills you have in your headlights will put out amazing grub. Cry once, I always say. If you have the funds for the Mak, order it and don't look back. (Hey, that rhymes  8)). The Mak is completely USA made down to the smallest component. Top notch controller and built like a tank. It is the best out there at the present time.

While all three will churn out food, that if you did a blind taste test, you probably could not tell which pellet grill cooked off them, the Mak will probably give you the best ownership experience of the three. It just screams quality and will out last them all..................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

Narrowed down to three
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 03:14:41 PM »
I have a Mak 2 Star. You can not find a better company to buy from. Great people and products. I vacuum mine every 3 or 4 cooks.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 03:20:07 PM »

I have an older Traeger Lil Tex, a pre-production MAK 1 Star, and a newly added GMG Daniel Boone.   All good smokers.

As mentioned above, cleaning out the ashes is a piece of cake..

Offline yoda525

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 05:06:38 PM »
Buy now cry once.  Sounds like the Mak is the way to go.  Thank you everyone.

Offline yoda525

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 06:06:25 PM »
one more quick question please.  if I don't want to use this for anything except smoking is it still worth it?  It seems like the Mak is popular because it will grill also.  I'm nervous part of the money I'm spending on the Mak is for a feature I don't plan on utilizing.

thoughts?

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 07:29:49 PM »
The grilling add on is nice. Maks are popular because they are the best in the business. Grilling is just the icing on the cake..............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 07:51:37 PM »
The Mak is an excellent choice. I own the Blazn Grillworks Grid Iron and it is a tank and I do use it mostly
for smoking and for doing jerky. For my purpose it does exactly what I want it to do. And yes the customer service
is excellent.  What I understand is Mak also has superior customer service. I really don't know much about the
Camp Chef.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 08:23:53 PM »
I own a MAK 2 Star also - and the WiFi controller. You can get the same controller on the 1 Star. It has 3 temp probe ports. So, you can monitor up to 3 different meats - from your phone - anywhere in the world that you have internet access. Or from a computer if you prefer. Practical...? I initially felt it may be "frivolous" as far a s features go...But,  will admit that it is THE most valuable feature on a pellet grill that has a lot to offer. Why? Because, we are all busy. Or we forget we have to be somewhere - AFTER we have a pork butt, or anything else in the cooker ;D.
My point is that - you cannot believe houseful that one feature will be until you have it - and the freedom to remotely monitor, turn the pit temp up - or down - or turn it off, from wherever you are.

Bob Tucker, the owner of MAK - will not even buy a screw that is not U.S. made. Seriously. I am not trying to tell you that is the decision hinge-pin that you should pivot on - but it is a fanatical view of quality control that has helped to build MAK's reputation.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pappymn

Narrowed down to three
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 08:37:25 PM »
And if you ever find yourself in Dallas, Oregon. Stop in for a visit. People could not have been nicer. I only use mine for low and slow. Use my Weber charcoal for everything else.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline yoda525

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 10:18:13 PM »
I think you all convinced me that the MAK 1 is the first choice and Blazn a close second due to price and all of the standard accessories.

thanks you.

Offline muralboy

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 11:45:10 PM »
Yoda

One other pellet smoker to consider is the PelletPro by Smoke Daddy Inc.  I have the PelletPro627 and love it.  Cleaning out the ash pot is not big deal at all.  I do it about once every 5 or 6 smokes.  PID is very accurate and temp is consistent - set it an forget it.

Best thing of all, they are in Waukegan, just North of you.  Dennis and his crew are good people.  They will work with you on a great deal.

Just another one to consider
Keep Calm And Smoke On

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 12:00:00 AM »
MAK, controls the temp better than my oven ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.