Author Topic: Recipe prep for camping, need advice  (Read 2173 times)

Offline batsu

Recipe prep for camping, need advice
« Reply #-1 on: June 05, 2016, 10:16:41 PM »
Going to bring my Pit Barrel group camping with us and we're planning on using it for a bunch of recipes.  I'd like to keep prep at the camp site to a minimum.  Can I apply rub, etc to pulled pork, ribs etc a day or two in advance?  We'd like to try the bacon wrapped onion rings too.  Any harm to having them wrapped and ready to go a couple days in advance?

Offline Ka Honu

Re: Recipe prep for camping, need advice
« on: June 05, 2016, 10:29:47 PM »
Don't know what cutting the onion rings a day or so ahead would do to the texture but the rest should be no problem as long as you keep everything refrigerated until the cook. You might even consider putting the rub on partially thawed ribs and butt and refreezing before transporting. Should help keep everything in the cooler refrigerated until you need it.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline hikerman

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 10:31:05 PM »
Yes on the meat as long as it is refrigerated and then kept iced/chilled in a cooler until cook time. Some more knowledgeable folks may come along and tell you specific temps to be safe. But common sense rules...
As for wrapping the onions days in advance. ..I'd say your onion rings would be limp! :o

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 02:39:34 AM »
I'd round up a volunteer to wrap onions...it wont' take long unless your making like 12,000...just sayin.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 09:23:29 AM »
Depending your individual likes/dislikes...you may want to consider lower salt rubs if you are going to prep 1-2 days in advance. Salts tend to magnify a bit in the tastes of meats when left on longer, for my weird taste buds.

And - for convenience - if you can vacuum pack the meats, they will take up less room, and the vacuum picking seems tholepin the rub permeate the meat with flavor and aroma faster. so, a little less rub use when vacuum packing.

Have fun, take pics, and share with us please!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline batsu

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 10:33:16 AM »
Depending your individual likes/dislikes...you may want to consider lower salt rubs if you are going to prep 1-2 days in advance. Salts tend to magnify a bit in the tastes of meats when left on longer, for my weird taste buds.

And - for convenience - if you can vacuum pack the meats, they will take up less room, and the vacuum picking seems tholepin the rub permeate the meat with flavor and aroma faster. so, a little less rub use when vacuum packing.

Have fun, take pics, and share with us please!

That's a cool idea about the vacuum packing.  I think I will try that out, thanks! :)

Offline batsu

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 10:33:52 AM »
Yah the onion texture is a concern.  Maybe I'll hold off on those and save them for another time.  Thanks guys!

Offline SouthGAQue

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 10:48:08 AM »
Like other have said, I wouldn't wrap the onion rings unless you were cooking them the next day. 

If your rub has a high salt content, the salt will draw moisture out of the meat to the surface.  Notice how your rub "sweats" after it has been applied for a few minutes.  Butts would probably be OK, but I would be afraid smaller cuts like ribs, etc could be  dry.  I would rather apply the rub right after I light the fire for the PBC.
Assassin 17 Gravity Feed Smoker
2 UDS
Chargiller Offset
Weber Kettle
Charbroil Gasser.

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 07:57:36 PM »
Salting in advance is "dry brining" you'll get better results.
Rubs do not penetrate meat. Season and vacuum seal, you'll be just fine.
As for onions, I think you'll be alright cause the finished product will be limp either way.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 09:24:26 PM »
... the finished product will be limp either way.

I've heard that but not sure I understand - must be a mammalian affliction.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Hub

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 09:52:49 AM »

Yep, Amen, and X2.  Salt will affect the surface texture of your meat.  For butts, that's not bad because you'll get somewhat deeper bark.  For ribs, though, it can produce a "skin effect" that I find inconsistent with the best use of the meat.  It will also sometimes induce a "hammy" flavor that isn't as good as the pork-ness of the ribs. 

Suggestion.  Leave the rubs off until you're about ready to cook.  Put the meat on a sheet of aluminum foil.  Shake on the rub.  Put the meat in the cooker and throw away the foil -- neat and easy. 

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 12:36:41 PM »
Out here when we camp we just have pizzas and sushi delivered.   8). It makes packing easier.  Capt crunch and cocoa krispies don't take up much room.  Ice chest full of milk.   ;)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66