Author Topic: recommendations for a rig for my apartment  (Read 2099 times)

Offline stalag

recommendations for a rig for my apartment
« Reply #-1 on: June 16, 2016, 04:39:15 PM »
I love both grilled and smoked food.  However due to disk degeneration, and apartment regulations, I need a setup that is both mobile, and does not require me to lift heavy objects or bend to any degree.  I love the taste of charcoal, but a pellet smoker/grill using wood is also a consideration.  I do have a garage to store in, but not a huge amount of room.  Please tell me why you like a particular product, and how much you have used it.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I hear nothing.

Offline tomcrete1

Re: recommendations for a rig for my apartment
« on: June 16, 2016, 05:42:11 PM »
Rec Tec mini is easy on room and easy to store and with the added grill grates it can also sear.  my second choice would be The Big Easy SRG, easy on space extremely versatile and it has a smoker box.  I'm also cramped on room and both these grills take up little space. Good luck
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 08:57:31 PM »
26 inch Weber has wheels, high enough level, spacious enough to do a bunch of low and slow smoking. And.......it's a Weber.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 09:07:22 PM »
Can you use charcoal?, gas ? Or electric only?
If you can use charcoal an AKORN Kamodo is a good smoker & grill , easy to roll & when folded up takes very little space. Mine is over 4 years old , several others have this cooker.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 09:39:22 PM »
Kevin, I know how much you like high quality products. My advice is to wait until this Fall when MAK releases the Portable MAK.  It'll be sporting some features that no-one else will have.  Trust me it will be worth the wait! 

P.S. In Answer to your query, Yes, MAK is a forum sponsor.

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Ericd3043

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 01:10:57 AM »
You did not mention what regulations there are for the apartment.

If you are on the bottom level, you should have no problem with a small charcoal/ etc as mentioned.

If you are up a level or 2, charcoal is usually a no-no.  The Big Easy SRG would be a good choice.  No charcoal taste, but you can smoke with it.  Personally, I have the regular TBE and have had good success with it (just no smoking!)

Offline stalag

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 07:08:44 AM »

If you are on the bottom level, you should have no problem with a small charcoal/ etc as mentioned.

If you are up a level or 2, charcoal is usually a no-no.  The Big Easy SRG would be a good choice.  No charcoal taste, but you can smoke with it.  Personally, I have the regular TBE and have had good success with it (just no smoking!)
I did not mention the regulations, as I already know what they are.  What I am looking for is the quality and usability of a product that I will want to own and use for years (read decades).  I like the taste of food cooked over an open flame.
I will not cook over a wood structure.  That is asking for trouble.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 08:59:39 AM »

I did not mention the regulations, as I already know what they are.  What I am looking for is the quality and usability of a product that I will want to own and use for years (read decades).  I like the taste of food cooked over an open flame.

(....pssst... stalag.... I think Eric was bringing up the "regulations" because some may not know what those are. And it's always a good idea to share those with others who may be just lurking here, but too shy to ask or post.  Repetition is a great tool on a forum as diverse as we are, and it will not be viewed as a negative. ;) :)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 10:31:57 AM »
Some complexes only allow electric so it wouldn't do us much good to recommend to you other type of pits if you are not allowed to use them  :)

We are just trying to find out what you are "allowed" to have so we can give you some good suggestions  :) :)

and trust me.....we got good suggestions for ya  ;D :) :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 10:44:17 AM by smokeasaurus »
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline stalag

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 01:24:43 AM »
Some complexes only allow electric so it wouldn't do us much good to recommend to you other type of pits if you are not allowed to use them  :)

We are just trying to find out what you are "allowed" to have so we can give you some good suggestions  :) :)

and trust me.....we got good suggestions for ya  ;D :) :)

I realize that.  It is one of the reasons I was looking for portable.  I live on the ground floor, and I know that they don't want devices to be chained to the posts.  Given this, I am just learning about what is available, and what might work and be acceptable.   I intend to ask tomorrow about what might be allowed.  A pellet grill seems to me to give me the best of both worlds for both smoking and grilling.  MAK when I did call them on Friday, did tell me that they were in development of the MiniMAK as they call it which will be smaller than the current "baby" that they have available.  MAK products are not cheap but when polled, were mentioned to be the best available.  Given these things, even if I cannot use it currently, I am not planning on staying in one location and may be moving in the next year or two.  I do not want to compromise, and there are times where laying out the cash is well worth it.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 11:24:15 AM »
I don't think anyone has buyers remorse when their Mak gets delivered  :) If you are looking for high quality, Mak is it.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline stalag

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2016, 01:44:02 PM »
As long as I store my rig in my garage when not in use, and do not fire it up next to the building, I can buy and use a smoker/grill.  At this point, the MiniMAK when it comes out would be my choice.  Thanks for all your input for those who said something.  And for those who I PMed directly, Thank you for your responses.

Offline Ericd3043

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2016, 05:04:37 PM »

I am glad you know what the regulations are.  I was a Facility Manager for an apartment complex for many years and it was amazing how many people ignored or did not know what safe practices are.  Not all apartment complexes are built the same and the regulations vary between complexes.  The one I worked at did not allow any open flames at all, hence the mention of the TBE.  Of course, you also had to have a grill matt underneath it to prevent grease.  It is amazing how hard it is to clean a deck/ patio with grease stains on it.

Happy Grilling!

Either way, hope you find what you are looking for.