Author Topic: Completed the maiden voyage  (Read 2865 times)

Offline GusRobin

• Test
Completed the maiden voyage
« Reply #-1 on: June 19, 2016, 11:12:07 PM »
On my new Cook Air.
To give a perspective on the size of the grill, here is a picture of the Cook Air grill laid on top of the SRG grill.

Prepped a couple of rib eyes with some gunpowder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.

First problem I ran into was that I didn't have any newspaper. All I had were some junk mail sales inserts. So I used one of those. Balled it up and put it in the center hole with some wood chunks.

It was a little difficult to start, probably due to the paper I was using, but after a bit it started up ok.

Put the fan on #1 for about 20 seconds and then up to 3 and ran it for about 5 minutes to burn off any factory oil, etc. Bumped it up to 5 and it was roaring and getting up to high temp quickly.

Threw on the rib eyes. Covered them for a few minutes to get some smokey flavor.

Almost done.

Father's day meal of ribeye, baked potato, salad and corn on the cob. I have seen where people have put mayo on the corn and liked it a lot. So I looked up a recipe and made a mixture consisting of mayo, paprika, lime, and red pepper. Put that and butter on the corn and it was delicious. Will be eating my corn that way from now on.

Close up of the steak.

Overall impressions.
1) As I said before I had an initial problem lighting it but I think that it was the paper I used that was the issue.
2) After the initial load of wood chunks I added wood about 3 more times. (one piece each time). I don't know if that is normal but it wasn't a big issue.
3) Using my cheap Harbor Freight infrared temperature gun, the highest temp I was able to record was 860*. Don't know if it went higher as I stopped checking after a while.
4) Don't know if it was because of the paper I used but as I added wood chunks it stirred up the ashes that ended up flying around, some landing on the meat. Next time I will turn the fan off when adding wood.
5) I put the cover on for a few minutes and noticed that the handle got on the warm side. Not hot where it burned but I also didn't have the cover on for very long.
6) Did have a couple flair ups, but the ribeyes also had some fat pockets. However, the flair did not last longl.
7) After the meat was done, I left the fan on 1 for the remaining wood to burn up. Forgot about it and didn't go to turn it off until after I ate so it was on for a while. But when I went to turn it off it had gone off by itself. Not sure if it was an auto shut off after a while or what the story was. I tried to start it and it would turn on but I could get it to number 3 but it shutoff if I went to 4. Went on to clean it up and tried again. This time I was able to take it to 1 thru 5 and all was well. So I will have to see what it does next time.
8) Once it cooled, clean up was easy. I just dumped the ashes, took a wet sponge to clean the grill and a wet paper towel to clean the rest of the unit.

Verdict:
I like this grill a lot and think it was a good buy so far. It will be my grill for steaks. It was easy to use, and easy to clean.

Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Completed the maiden voyage
« on: June 19, 2016, 11:51:54 PM »
Those steaks sure look good. Glad you like your new grill.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 12:51:52 AM »
The newspaper was the source of the floating ash IMHO. You should really get those starters or try using some lighter fluid on the smaller pieces of wood then place them in the chamber and light.

There is no auto shut off. Grill should have still been on when you went back out so there might be an issue.

The lid tends to cause smothering when on the 5 setting so I drilled some holes in the top of mine to allow air flow.

The steaks look great Gus!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 05:27:51 AM »
Looks great,  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 06:28:55 AM »
Gus,
Welcome to the club.  I think I may be using mine more often than not.  I will be looking for ways to use it since it is so easy to fire up for grilling.

Art

BTW, steaks looked great.  I am having corn on the cob tonight for dinner.  I think I'll give the mayo trick a try.
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 08:50:11 AM »
Great looking steaks and some perfect sides!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Roget

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 04:52:18 PM »
Just the way I like my steaks!!

And that corn looks awesome.
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 05:15:07 PM »
Nice results. Muebe told me to never put the lid on tight on level 5, the manual says that also. I always do what Muebe says. I think they recommend smoking before on level 1, then go to 5
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 05:39:31 PM »
Looks real good Gus!

A really dumb question, but would GrillGrates help that cooker ? 

Looks to me like the grate is a little wide between the bars and GG's would let you cook fish, small chicken parts ect..  Or is it just me?? 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 05:45:41 PM »
I am liking these grills.

Question: Will these grills use pellets, or does it need the pockets created by wood chunks for airflow & flames?
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 07:20:13 PM »

Question: Will these grills use pellets, or does it need the pockets created by wood chunks for airflow & flames?
Manual says pellets would vaporize in no time. So not recommended
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 07:23:57 PM »
Looks real good Gus!

Looks to me like the grate is a little wide between the bars and GG's would let you cook fish, small chicken parts ect..  Or is it just me??
I don't think it would work. You need to be able to lift it out periodically to add wood.
Muebe should weigh in
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 08:45:48 PM »

Hmmmm, Pellets huh, I will try that should be interesting, at lower turbo setting of 2 they might survive for a little bit at turbo 5 won't last for long...
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 09:30:55 PM »
The newspaper was the source of the floating ash IMHO. You should really get those starters or try using some lighter fluid on the smaller pieces of wood then place them in the chamber and light.

There is no auto shut off. Grill should have still been on when you went back out so there might be an issue.

Now you worried me so I packed it up and drove to the local Cabela's and exchanged it for a new one. Tried it out and all 5 settings worked. I guess I'll just have to break in a new one this weekend.

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 09:33:36 PM »
Looks real good Gus!

You may be able to use the grill grate but would probably need a different way to raise and move it to load more wood. I don't know what the grill grate weighs but I would assume that the little handle that comes with the grill wouldn't be able to hold the weight by itself.