Author Topic: Doing a leg of goat Help!  (Read 3555 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Doing a leg of goat Help!
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2016, 03:51:50 PM »
Still...
 I think it depends on how receptive you are to the flavor and smell of goat. And - how old the goat was..... Some people are o.k. with it, and some are not.

Thus the evolution - thru the ages - of buttermilk brines. It is chemistry and it works. Personally - I would never cook goat without brining - but, that is my sense of smell and taste. And - goat does have a tendency to be dry and "stringy" if not dealt with in a brine or tenderizer. Your mileage will vary based on what you can smell and taste - and what your personal preferences are.

Here is some good information about it: https://naturalsciencecitizen.wordpress.com/the-kitchen/venison-tenderizing-marinade/

You can ask ACW3 about he goat that I made . He came and helped me hand out case to 1000 samples of various smoked and grilled meats that day.

The NUMBER ONE item people kept coming back for - was the goat.  Again - the buttermilk tenderizes, and - tames the flavor/aroma profile to make it far more acceptable to a large group. That was my incentive for this method.
Buttermilk with its lactic acid does help to mellow the smell of certain meats.  However so does a long and slow cook do the same thing.  I would use buttermilk if I had time to marinade, but if you don't my ideas above will help skirt that.  I have deceived people before with cooks, and I can tell you the goat burger was cooked low and slow by TentHunter when he did it at our gathering for me since I don't yet own a cooker.    If so inclined Teesquare is not wrong and his suggestion if followed will modify the taste of any strong smelling meat.

And perhaps the best news of all...is that there is always more than one way to do everything. What is the best? There is usually not just one BEST way...because as stalag pointed out time availability may. be as important as any component of the cook. Isn't great that we have choices and different methods to try!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pappymn

Doing a leg of goat Help!
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2016, 04:06:09 PM »
I had goat once in extreme southern Texas at a Mexican restaurant. I remember liking it.

But....Pappy...I thought said that the goat was part of some kind of..."floor show"..... ;) :D
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 06:33:17 PM by teesquare »
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline hikerman

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2016, 09:02:42 PM »

And perhaps the best news of all...is that there is always more than one way to do everything. What is the best? There is usually not just one BEST way.
[/quote]

Floorshow? :o :o ???

Offline Pappymn

Doing a leg of goat Help!
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2016, 09:19:33 PM »
Steady Tee.  We've all seen that show
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2016, 10:37:55 PM »
Steady Tee.  We've all seen that show

YOU have seen it...ME??? N-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-hhhh...... ;) :D :D :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401