Author Topic: Stupidities of Tech support  (Read 2645 times)

Offline stalag

Stupidities of Tech support
« Reply #-1 on: July 08, 2016, 09:46:34 PM »
I had a program from Ceton that crashes responsible for diagnostics for my TV card and software of theirs I use.  Here is the following exchanges. 

Me       Posted on: 07 July 2016 05:29 PM

The ctndiag.exe process crashes and is not available for diagnostics. Has occurred due to recent updates in Windows 7. Cannot figure out cause of crash. I can access the device via webpage.

Ceton's reply is the following

Ceton Support        Posted on: 07 July 2016 08:51 PM

Hi,

We'd like to run Windows System File Checker, which will inspect all core Windows files on your computer, including Windows DLL files. If System File Checker finds an issue with any of these protected files, it will attempt to replace it. Please see the information below:

1. Open an elevated command window. Please see instructions below:

-- Click on the Start button and in the Search programs and files box that appears directly above the Start button, type the following: cmd (Don't press Enter, just let the search results populate above)
 -- In the search results, under Programs you'll see one or more programs listed that contain the word cmd or command, right-click on it.
 -- This will bring up Command Prompt's right-click menu. Click on Run as Administrator. (Click Yes on the User Account Control window that appears)
 Note: If you have trouble doing this, or the next step, you can find the Command Prompt shortcut manually by clicking Start -> All Programs -> Accessories on most computers. Then skip to Step 3 below.

2. At command prompt type: sfc /scannow

3. Please note the scanning results and reboot after it has finished scanning your computer
 Note: Widows File System Checker does not validate all Windows files or checks to see if they are corrupted.

For more information about SFC please review the following Microsoft documentation.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Thank you,
 Ceton Support

I run the tool and report the following.

Me     Posted on: 07 July 2016 11:00 PM

SFC /scannow returns the following "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

And some additional information on the ctndiag.exe tool that is crashing on me.  ctndiag is their diagnostic tool I reported that it crashed.  I sent the following additional information.

Me    Posted on: 07 July 2016 11:02 PM

Description:
 Stopped working

Problem signature:
 Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
 Problem Signature 01: ctndiag.exe
 Problem Signature 02: 13.6.3.1088
 Problem Signature 03: 503b74df
 Problem Signature 04: mscorlib
 Problem Signature 05: 2.0.0.0
 Problem Signature 06: 53a11de1
 Problem Signature 07: f9e
 Problem Signature 08: 14e
 Problem Signature 09: System.IO.FileNotFoundException
 OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
 Locale ID: 1033

Information when ctndiag is invoked.

Ceton support sends me the following message.

Ceton Support   Posted on: 08 July 2016 07:52 PM

Hi,

We require some detailed information about your computer's configuration and current state to help us determine what may be causing the issue you are experiencing. The InfiniTV diagnostic tool is designed to help us gather the necessary information quickly for our analysis. Please see below:

Open the Ceton Diagnostics Tool by going to Start -> All Programs -> Ceton InfiniTV-> Ceton InfiniTV Diagnostic ([color:#FF0000]this is ctndiag.exe[/color]) . Next click on the "Diagnose" tab, fill out the requested data, then click the Collect Information button. Save and attach the generated diagnostic file to a reply to this ticket.

*** The Diagnostic Tool does NOT need to see the InfiniTV ***
 Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you,
 Ceton Support

I replied quoting the above.  Apparently the tech support guru's have not read what I am telling them about the Ceton diagnostic software working.

Me     Posted on: 08 July 2016 08:59 PM

And what part of diagnostic tool crashing and unusable do you not understand? That is what my complaint is. I cannot run a diagnosis using your tool until the tool actually runs without crashing. A program does not allow for the circular logic you posted in the prior message to me. Do you have an alternative way that does not use your software?

More will I am sure be coming on this saga.  I will keep you apprised of the idiocy of tech support.

I know nothing, I see nothing, I hear nothing.

Offline rwalters

Stupidities of Tech support
« on: July 08, 2016, 09:52:39 PM »
Gotta love "competent" tech support...especially when you can't understand a word they speak. ;)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline stalag

Re: Stupidities of Tech support
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 09:57:41 PM »
I am not sure I have the right amount of "snark" in that last message to them.

Offline hikerman

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 10:10:43 PM »
I am not sure I have the right amount of "snark" in that last message to them.

Would it matter? :D
They as most software support, seem to not listen to what they are told. Robot comes to mind.

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 03:13:21 AM »
I have had 2 interactions with Ceton Customer Service in past years. My experiences were very positive and they went way beyond extraordinary service.

Case # 1 - XfiniTV 4 channel tuner was damaged due to voltage fluctuations during a storm. Unit was 3 months past warranty deadline. Customer service sent me a new unit for nothing more than the cost of shipping it back to them.

Case #2 - XfiniTV 4 channel tuner stopped recognizing a strong TV signal. Again, very out of warranty. Through the Ceton diagnostic program, they determined that it was a bad board and asked that I send it in for repair. They sent me an email stating that they would not charge me for the repair even though it was out of warranty. And to top that, when I received it, they had exchanged my XfiniTV 4 for a brand new XfiniTV 6 channel tuner at no charge with a nice note saying that they upgraded me because I had that previous problem.

Stalag, sorry you are having difficulty communicating with them, but I will sing their praises always. They are a good and honest company. Their boards are delicate, but they stand behind them.

I am using Windows 7 Professional and my Ceton program and Diagnostics program is very stable. Have you tried uninstalling the total Ceton program and reinstalling it by download directly from their support site to get a clean install?

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 08:52:32 AM »
I can understand your frustration. Most tech support these days works off of a flow chart.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 10:14:59 AM »
I can understand your frustration. Most tech support these days works off of a flow chart.

They sure do. I had one call when I finally had it and I said "I know you are just following your flow chart, but let's just skip down to the part where you are dealing with an irate pissed off customer and pick it up there or better yet pass me to your supervisor."
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 11:59:42 AM »
I like when I tell them the device has power then they proceed to verify said device is plugged into the outlet.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 04:28:14 PM »
I am always asked "Have you tried restarting?"
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 11:16:10 PM »

Ahh, but you are one of the SMART ones who has probably tried restarting before calling tech support!  As a computer repair tech I can tell you from experience that you would not believe how many people have not tried restarting (or a complete shut-down/cold start) before calling tech support, and how often this simple thing clears up the problem they're having.

Boy, do I have some stories I could tell!  ???

Kevin (stalag) knows some of these stories.  The Computer shop where I used to work is how we met some 18+ years ago.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline stalag

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 12:35:03 AM »

Ahh, but you are one of the SMART ones who has probably tried restarting before calling tech support!  As a computer repair tech I can tell you from experience that you would not believe how many people have not tried restarting (or a complete shut-down/cold start) before calling tech support, and how often this simple thing clears up the problem they're having.

Boy, do I have some stories I could tell!  ???

Kevin (stalag) knows some of these stories.  The Computer shop where I used to work is how we met some 18+ years ago.

And as Cliff can tell you, I don't know nothin'!
(I may have thought about that last sentence to long.......)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 08:54:09 AM »
I feel you pain, at work when we call model engineers and ask specific questions we usually get 

"I'm not sure, but if you fix it call us back"     No lie, that's from an auto tech line engineer.     

Another one I liked was,  "What your telling me CAN"T happen, the computer in that model does not work that way" 

This is from a call where a young tech wiped the memory from an ECU, and we reinstalled the software from another ECU of the same model.
All we did was plugged in our tester to the good ECU swapped the tester to the bad one and in 1 min all was working.  YET it can't happen  :D :D :D :D   
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 09:05:14 AM by TMB »
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline stalag

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 02:38:46 AM »
And they gave up.

Ceton Support       Posted on: 11 July 2016 11:35 PM

Right. We want to thank you for your patience and assistance in troubleshooting the issues you've been experiencing. We really appreciate the time you've spent running tests and sending us diagnostics, and after looking through all the information we unfortunately don't have a solution for the issue you've experienced. All indications are that your InfiniTV is fully functional, and not suffering from hardware damage or failure.

There are so many possible hardware and software conflicts that can arise in a PC from simple OS corruption, virus damage, 3rd party software conflict, to hardware component incompatibility and failure.

Thank you,
Ceton Support

And my reply to them

Me  Posted on: 12 July 2016 02:25 AM

I have tried multiple reboots, I have tried reinstall, however your software does not work. I have not installed any new software except for Microsoft updates during that time. Why did your diagnostic software crash? Your quitting on me? I told you from the start that your diagnostic software was not working. All I want is a way to fix it. You are supposed to be the experts. I am willing to give you more information but cannot use your tool because the diagnostic tool is broken. Your diagnostic tree depends on your tool which is broken. I think that your process is broken.

Offline stalag

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 04:19:15 AM »
And the final report is that there is a build depends of Microsoft .NET version 3.5.1
the diagnostic tool will not run on Microsoft .NET version 4.6 (latest available for Windows 7)
There are known security issues with .NET 3.5.1
My recommendation posted to my thread to CETON is that they recompile against .NET 4.6.